• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

April 2021 Black Sheep Week

Kurt

Well I’m out on Moab unfortunately and super bummed. I went and got an alignment and tire rotation right before I left. About an hour into the trip the H3 started shaking really hard going about 75 on the freeway so I started to pull over. Then a really loud pop happened and the H3 started riding really rough so I though I had a blow. However, as it turns out my rear passenger wheel had broke off all the studs from the hub and the brake rotor was sitting on the rim. Apparently the tire place I went to either didn’t tighten the bolts enough or over tighten way to much by just wailing on it with an impact. Very fortunate that no one was injured as it could have been really bad losing a wheel going down the freeway. The tire place is paying fixing it but parts won’t be in until Monday/Tuesday

6278e3b3b9c2eb4bd91f97b1056c6699.jpg

a0cb6d64fe630675ed071da943673ce3.jpg

2df182d7eaaf133d3d394159cdd459cd.jpg

77c6167474206087804efba30ad718a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this happen with my H1 with Big-O-Tires, except I caught it before something disastrous happened. I had the truck towed to a dealer, had them fix *EVERYTHING* related to it plus overnighted any needed parts and ran up a 2-3k bill, which I promptly sent to Big-O who paid for it immediately. They knew they would be up for a huge lawsuit otherwise.

Keep your receipts.

On a side note, my first tools were a set of torque wrenches to double check work :D.

LagunaH1

Good day today. We ran Hell's Revenge and everyone piloted their rigs with skill and care. Alrock: Thanks for leading and spotting.

We saw a Toyota flop on its side on Hell's Gate. I'm not sure wha the status was of the rig once it was recovered but we saw it be towed off the trail. (By a Power Wagon, no less)

JPaul

I'm pretty sure he's looking at a rebuild of his engine, it was knocking pretty good after he let the engine run for quite a while when he was on his side. Plus the damage to his driver's side won't be cheap. I wonder how the front driver suspension is doing after having all that force put on it as well. And something on the winch/bullbar definitely popped while I was helping try to upright it.

The RC crawler going up before the UTV's did after they both stood there for probably 10 minutes looking at the Gate was hilarious.

LagunaH1

I have been watching video's about Pritchett canyon. Tonight I found LiteBrite's very recent video from a NIGHT RUN on Pritchett:
[video=youtube_share;4zm0Bg2XFp0]https://youtu.be/4zm0Bg2XFp0[/video]

Having watched this, and having read Bebe's post, I am not running Pritchett.

SickStringC

I have been watching video's about Pritchett canyon. Tonight I found LiteBrite's very recent video from a NIGHT RUN on Pritchett:
[video=youtube_share;4zm0Bg2XFp0]https://youtu.be/4zm0Bg2XFp0[/video]

Having watched this, and having read Bebe's post, I am not running Pritchett.

I'm not going to be the least bit upset if we don't do it. I'll be honest - I didn't have a lot of fun last time. It was stressful.

Kurt

I don't like night time runs on anything particularly technical, especially with steep drop offs. Last time that happened I was on a run that ran way too long with the Hummer Club years and years ago and it was pretty much the moment I vowed never run with THCI ever again.

We were running late, people were racing off into the night and I was way behind taking my time because, you Know, I didn't want to drop 40 foot off a ridge somewhere and despite one other guy breaking down over and over and over again, I got the blame for having the club run return late after the bars are closed.

LagunaH1

I am headed home tomorrow morning after breakfast. Such a great week! Thank you everyone for coming out, it was great to see old friends and make new friends.

I will stop by the meeting place tomorrow at 9 before getting on the road.

jakesz28

Well the week is coming to an end. I want to thank Alex, Bebe, Speedy, Dave, Brian and all that help put this together each year. It was nice seeing everyone again.

Going home with only a few new scratches and driving it off the trail is a good plus. Survived another year without breaking it.

JPaul

It was a great week. Finally was able to make it the full week. It was good to see old faces again and meet new ones. Looking forward to next year.

I'll get my pics and videos posted up in the next couple of days or so after we get back home.

JPaul

We are home already. Truck is unpacked and I have a list of projects to try and finish up this year. I'm really pleased with how it handled this time, the new tires and lockers made a massive difference.

rascole

What a memorable trip (they all are). Thanks so much to Alex, Bebe, Rick, Steve, Chris, Dave, and the rest off you. It was good to meet all the new faces and make new friends. Look forward to the next one.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
We got back about 4:00 PM Saturday. Almost unloaded. Have to go wash the truck. Great week as always. Good to see everyone again. Great to see all the new faces and especially a few of the old ones like Chris and Rox. Can't wait uintil next year. Maybe we should go the week before EJS so the trails aren't destroyed.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
After 3k miles round trip we are finally home. It was amazing meeting all of you. Thank you to everyone who helped out with repairs Thursday night. And to everyone who made the week amazing. We will definitely be back next year!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Vdawg1115

Glad everyone made it back. Guess I am in last place. Still waiting for a tow truck to come. T Case failed on me while in Chris’s favorite town of Lovelock, NV. Made it to Auburn (225
Miles) before she started smoking and spewing burnt trans fluid everywhere

JPaul

I vote for the week before Jeep Safari as well. Easter is going to be late next year, April 17th! Maybe then we can do obstacles more readily. And the grocery stores won't be wiped out. I really like the idea too of a cordless leaf blower to clear the dust off the rocks.

I am also going to vote we switch to GMRS. You can get handhelds in a pair for not very much that will probably work just as well if not better than the CB's we're all trying to run. There was a lot of trouble with comms this time it seemed. Maybe that was just me though being stuck with an untuned mag mount Walmart grade antenna for the trip.

And even speaking as a Ham, I don't give 2 cents if you don't pay for the license for the GMRS channels. I have my GMRS license but the call sign is stupid and long and I'd have to look it up every time. I don't think anyone really cares unless you're doing something really stupid with the frequencies. Granted it's only $70 to get the license and it's good for 10 years and for your immediate family and it's just a matter of doing the application online and paying the fee (no testing or anything required), so it's not that big a deal to get one, but I'm not going to ask anyone if they have theirs and I am not going to bother with asking for call signs.