• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

April 2021 Black Sheep Week

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Is the meeting spot on Wednesday at Pritchett canyon? We will have 3-4 highly modified H3s in Moab!! Scorpions and anyone else wanna go? [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

JPaul

Utah just announced they are opening up vaccinations some more starting next week. Anyone over 50, BMI over 30 (I will freely admit I fit this category currently and will be taking advantage of it), type 1/2 diabetes, and kidney disease.

rascole

4 weeks and counting. ARB air compressor died again on me the other weekend after a trail run, got it pulled out troubleshooting it next weekend. Ryobi battery operated air compressor has saved me twice, won't leave home with out it.

LagunaH1

The Jeep is about as ready as I know how to make it. Trailer is getting a new set of tires next week and then.... Ready!

Can’t wait!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
New upper control arm, sway bar bushings in. Oil change and alignment complete. The H3 is ready.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

jakesz28

Front dif is built and going in tomorrow or early next week. New tires are mounted on the spare wheels. Hopefully I get the 500 mile break in done in the next month. All though that likely won't happen.

Vdawg1115

I will be going. I will do the SAS after the trip. Parts are still rolling in. Just need to do fluid changes and a new rear pinion seal and I will be good to go. Have a spare CB and a front driveshaft

jakesz28

Got the front dif pulled out. One of the dif mounts on the side did not want to come loose. The nut spun inside the frame. Had to cut a hole and weld the nut. Ended up ordering the main dif bushing, wheel bearing/hub assemblies, brake dust shields, front calipers. So while waiting on parts I changed the transfer case oil and rear dif fluid. Waiting on longer bolts for the new rear dif cover. It's been hanging on the wall for 2 years. Probably won't be on the road till Tuesday now.

JPaul

P0717 and P0700 showed up this morning. Transmission is shifting hard from 1st to 2nd. Supposedly an issue with the speed sensor. Guess I'll be crawling under the truck this weekend to try to figure out what the issue really is.

SickStringC

Is the meeting spot on Wednesday at Pritchett canyon? We will have 3-4 highly modified H3s in Moab!! Scorpions and anyone else wanna go? [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Tempting. It would be my second time. Said I didn’t ever need to do it again, but with this group ... how can I say no? I’ll bring a big bag of jelly beans for good measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Been doing last minute mods/prep.

Hardwired the CB to the battery and got that all squared away.
Had my steering box rebuilt by redhead steering gears, got it all swapped in and aligned. Rear leaf spring bushings need to be replaced next, otherwise I'm good to go.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
c449a54cb0793a6e3e9e1e0db563ac88.jpg

Last edited:

jakesz28

Just got my H3 put back together. All fluids changed. New front dif with locker, new tires, calipers, CV axles, hub and wheel bearings, front dif bushing, ect.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Well, now that 06 H3 has opened the subject and LagunaH1 and SickStringC have endorsed it, we should plan Wednesday for Pritchett for the rigs/drivers that are capable and willing to do the trail. This will be our most capable group of vehicles and drivers in a long time.

As for Sunday, I'm thinking we open with Top of the World.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am up for Pritchett. I am sure JJ won't go on that one. Not sure if my daughter will be there Wednesday or not. She may or may not go if she is.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
For the moab uninitiated, are there other trails as scenic as top of the world?
For the Moab uninitiated, consider picking up this book. It's a great way to read about the trails before and as we do them. https://funtreks.com/product/guide-moab-backroads-4-wheel-drive-trials-3rd-edition/

Many of the trails have good scenery, though TOTW is one of the best. Hell's Revenge, Moab Rim, Poison Spider, Seven Mile Rim and others all have great scenic views. For a milder day, consider taking Shafer Switchbacks and Long Canyon for more great views.

And for those not doing Pritchett, we'll of course have an alternate trail for that day. Seven Mile Rim is often a good alternate when we split up into two groups.

jakesz28

Would love to see Pritchett but I don't know or think a stock H3 would make it in one piece? Are there bypasses on the big obstacles?

EDIT. After reading about that trail it seems like the bypasses are almost just as hard.

Last edited: