• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

April 2021 Black Sheep Week

jakesz28

I thought going the week after the jeep jamboree there are more rocks stacked up. Going before the jamboree there will not be rock stacks on some obstacles. The buggies running all year throw them out.

LagunaH1

I vote for the week before Jeep Safari as well. Easter is going to be late next year, April 17th! Maybe then we can do obstacles more readily. And the grocery stores won't be wiped out. I really like the idea too of a cordless leaf blower to clear the dust off the rocks.

I am also going to vote we switch to GMRS. You can get handhelds in a pair for not very much that will probably work just as well if not better than the CB's we're all trying to run. There was a lot of trouble with comms this time it seemed. Maybe that was just me though being stuck with an untuned mag mount Walmart grade antenna for the trip.

And even speaking as a Ham, I don't give 2 cents if you don't pay for the license for the GMRS channels. I have my GMRS license but the call sign is stupid and long and I'd have to look it up every time. I don't think anyone really cares unless you're doing something really stupid with the frequencies. Granted it's only $70 to get the license and it's good for 10 years and for your immediate family and it's just a matter of doing the application online and paying the fee (no testing or anything required), so it's not that big a deal to get one, but I'm not going to ask anyone if they have theirs and I am not going to bother with asking for call signs.

I'd like to suggest we consider *NEW* FRS radios. In the past few years, the FCC allowed FRS radios (Walkie Talkies) to transmit with 2 watts, as opposed to the previous 0.5 watts. These are completely unlicensed and super easy to use. I'll do some research and post links to FRS radios with those specs.

I think the leaf blower idea is... interesting LOL. Can't help but wonder if it will just create a ton of dust in the air vs. actually cleaning off the obstacles. If we wheel BEFORE EJS, then maybe it won't be as necessary.....

LagunaH1

I'd like to suggest we consider *NEW* FRS radios. In the past few years, the FCC allowed FRS radios (Walkie Talkies) to transmit with 2 watts, as opposed to the previous 0.5 watts. These are completely unlicensed and super easy to use. I'll do some research and post links to FRS radios with those specs.

Here is a link to an article posted by Midland, which seems to summarize the new FCC rules for FRS radios pretty well: https://midlandusa.com/6-things-you...ext=1.,units using expanded FRS capabilities.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I’m game for the better radios. I had both for a while but my CB stopped working a few years ago and didn’t even bother to replace it. My buddy uses it for racing and I think Ultra 4 has rights to the channels we all use. They go way farther then a CB. I am not sure how they work, all I know is that at KOH they programmed the radio for me, said stay on this channel and that’s what I do lol

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Mikkel is the radio master. I remember he was talking to people in Europe on his radio one day at Hells.

The next day he was talking to aliens.

He can probably suggest what we do so the FCC stays happy.

JPaul

The nice thing is that if some of us go for the GMRS and others just the FRS we can all still talk to each other since the GMRS radios also work with the FRS frequencies, they just run at the lower FRS power on those channels. I'm probably going to get a GMRS radio for my truck and then several handhelds for my family to use. I can then take those with me to Moab and lend them to anyone that doesn't have a radio. If enough of us do that it would be no big deal to move off of CB for the trip as we should have plenty of extra radios. They're also better for spotting, I can't always see the spotter and having radio comms between us would be helpful I think.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Well, it looks like we should move our spec to GMRS for Black Sheep Week. If there are some with FRS, we can use those bands as necessary. Maybe I need to buy a black 1977 Trans Am so I can get some use out of my CB. I'll be installing a mobile unit (non-handheld) with an external antenna in the H3. I'll likely pick up a handheld too.

I don't see us moving Black Sheep Week - yeah, we see some downsides to be after Jeep week, but we also have predictable hotel availability, rocks already stacked for us, and it's not a dealbreaker to go after EJS.

Now, I just need LagunaH1 to teach me how to use GMRS.

Looking at these radios: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RDM9LMM/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWOLZ8L/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

I[OIIIIIIIO]I

Just got home today guys, what an awesome time! I stayed a few extra days in Moab and did some additional trails and then did a bit of wheeling in Colorado on my way back to Michigan.

I want to thank all of the trail leaders and organizers for the great week. It was truly a bucket list experience.

Also, I must say that everyone I met was great and the whole group was friendly and welcoming to a new guy like me which made it a great week!

Looking forward to next year!

.........Oh and GMRS all the way!

Last edited:

Vdawg1115

I[OIIIIIIIO]I;241782 said:
Just got home today guys, what an awesome time! I stayed a few extra days in Moab and did some additional trails and then did a bit of wheeling in Colorado on my way back to Michigan.

I want to thank all of the trail leaders and organizers for the great week. It was truly a bucket list experience.

Also, I must say that everyone I met was great and the whole group was friendly and welcoming to a new guy like me which made it a great week!

Looking forward to next year!

.........Oh and GMRS all the way!

Wow! You had a good long trip. That’s awesome!’ Was nice meeting you

I[OIIIIIIIO]I

You too! Sorry you ran into some trouble heading home. It was a great trip. I have some videos and pics of you and others I'll post and share as soon as I get a chance.