• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

How-Do! (SoCal here)

CYnon

Hey everyone! I should be picking up my first Hummer tomorrow (an H3 Alpha)! I have always wanted to but never really gave myself the chance to do any offroading, or overlanding, or really any wilderness exploring when I was younger - but now that I have the time (as much as anyone does) I want to learn!

Im in North County San Diego, an Air Force vet, father, husband, aspiring outdoor enthusiast...I dont know probably an average American of my generation (grew up on video games and forced trips from my pops - that I hated- and in retrospect realize how much I missed out).

I went to visit my dad up in rural Washington state this last summer and fell in love with the unknown - and more importantly unplugging. I look forward to trying to fit a lot more of that in my life and a lot less of...well...city life. More importantly - my 4 year old son loves trucks and my 6 year old daughter saw a video of people doing some off roading and asked me why we dont do it. So here I am!

Look forward to reading more and meeting some people to learn the ropes and have some good times!

scoreh3

Welcome to H40 ... You have landed in the right place ... lots of good people and information here...

Korby7

Thank you for your service and welcome:salute:. Congratulations on the new Alpha!:thumbs:

MilamJR

Welcome to the group. Lots of guys with H3 experience here and off-roading/overlanding knowledge so if you need anything ask away. I’m the son of an Air Force vet so thanks for your service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlcHummer

Thank you for your service and welcome to the forum!

Here is a quick list of items to research that I feel would help make your rig more off road capable and hopefully with no/limited trail repairs.

Torsion bar crank, 315/75r16 tires, extended shocks, underbody skid protection, extended leaf spring shackles, high clearance leaf spring bolt plates, rock sliders, steering rack re-enforcement, heavy duty tie rods, and external transmission cooler.

Here is a link to my build in case it helps, https://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/forum/showthread.php/14208-SlcHummer-s-Build

Last edited:

CYnon

Thanks everyone for the welcome and throughout my search for a Hummer I really felt some community love!

SlcHummer - I think actually most all that stuff has been done to the H3 I picked up today! I got lucky and managed to get SoCalH3's old '08 (was listed in the classifieds). Im not entirely sure if he did the tie rods on it - I hope to get it up on a lift at my local mechanics Monday and get a good view of everything underneath. Now just to figure out how to use this machinery!

CYnon

hummer4.jpgHumm1.jpg
Welcome to H4O. Post some pics when you get it.