• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Add a leaf compatibility

fowlken8

Hey guys, like everyone my lift has crappy rear springs. It's not horrible yet but I want it to be higher.

I'm not in the mood for another spring over axle conversion and think an add a leaf would work just fine.

Do our trucks share springs with the Colorado? If so, a Colorado kit is like $66...hummer h3 over $100.

Jeff V.

Colorado leaf springs have different measurements than H3 springs. H3 springs are slightly longer, and the center point is in a different spot. I looked into it when I was shopping for replacements for my 09.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I took my leaf springs to a reputable shop in Phoenix for rearching and to have them add a full length leaf to help account for the weight of my addons (roof rack, tools, UCP, rock rails, etc.) They asked me what height I wanted the rear of the truck and I told them a figure that was 1.5" above stock - I forget the exact number I told them. They replaced the bushings, rearched them and added the leaf. Total cost was about the same as a new set (without shipping) and I got springs better than new. They are still holding up very well.

Jeepwalker

I would recommend a truck spring shop too. I struggled a long time on another project (not H3) with rear leaf springs and height, and finally took it to a shop and bing-bang-boom, they had me in/out in about an hour, it was perfect, and price was reasonable. I wish I'd have gone there right away. Would have saved me time and money.

These shops work a lot on large trucks (dump trucks, straight-axle trucks, etc), so working on smaller cars & trucks is a piece of cake. The shop I went too had all kinds of leafs in stock and can arc them in their machine to whatever they need to be per application. They do this stuff day in and day out, so they can zip the stuff off pretty quick. That was my experience, YMMV. So, two thumbs up on a Spring shop.