• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 alpha power steering pump replacement

clickclickboom

So, my power steering pump died right as I was trying to back the camper into the camping spot this weekend. Put some lucas power steering pump reconditioner in it, and that helped, but I need to pull and replace the pump. Looks like it may be tight to get the pump out and I can't find any guides online.

Anyone done this? any tips? Figured I'd ask before I start tearing it apart here in an hour or so and find out myself. :)

JPaul

Yes. It is doable, but you need to go in from the bottom and through the wheel well to get to everything to unhook the hoses. It's not a terrible job, but you might end up with the fitting the pressure line hooks to on the pump coming unscrewed from the pump instead of the hose unscrewing from it. Not a big deal when replacing the pump. Crows feet help to unhook the pressure line, and long needlenose pliers to go in through the side to get to the return line clamp. The reservoir is part of the pump assembly so that stays attached to the pump.

No matter what you do, make sure to flush the lines and power steering rack out when replacing the pump (or the rack) to make sure there aren't little bits that will ruin your new parts. Also spend the money and get OEM replacement parts. The cheap stuff (might not be cheap price wise) at the mainstream car parts stores will probably die quickly on you and you'll be right back where you are. I even went with the Napa gold or whatever for my fan clutch and it started to fail right when the 2 year warranty expired. That stupid thing cost me almost $300 just for the part. I need to get a new OEM and replace it now.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

clickclickboom

This was pretty straightforward for anyone else reading this.

Took the alternator off, then the bracket that holds the alt. And power steering pump. You can then pull that whole assembly up, and replace the pump.

As Jpaul said you'll need to disconnect the lines from underneath, or through the wheel well. A metric crowsfoot would be helpful for the high pressure line, but I used an 11/16 and was able to get it, luckily the line wasn't super tight.
I'd guess it's a 17mm.

Don't forget to flush the system prior to replacing the pump, and don't forget you'll need a power steering pulley remover/installer. I used OTC 4530.