• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Bolt hole size question

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
All, I'm looking for the correct size bolts that go into the holes into the attached photo. I believe these are the holes where the added crash/impact bar bolted into in the 08+ years.

The bigger hole i think is either a M10x1.5 or a 3/8 -16tpi, I had a 3/8 laying around and it went in but wasn't happy.

If anyone knows the sizes that would be much appreciated. Thanks.
1be24efd630380e65428a4a23981d8f6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Alpha X

It's highly unlikely a standard thread, and it probably isn't a metric fine thread. That leaves a few metric choices in coarse thread. If the bigger hole is a M10x1.5, the smaller hole looks like a M6x1.0.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Which is why it makes me think the larger one is M10×1.5, it's close in similarity to the 3/8-16tpi.

I'll pick up a handful of bolts in various sizes and see which one fits best lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Alpha X

AFAIK, GM hasn't used SAE threaded bolts since the 80's ha ha....

Fun fact... and this is a tangent from this thread. There's one component that is still fastened with a SAE fastener. I believe this is true with GM, Ford, & Toyota. This component is used multiple times per vehicle.

Korby7

Big ones are M10-1.5 and smaller are M6-1.0. If yours are like mine it'd be good to run a tap through the M6s.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Any time a bolt doesn't want to go in it's either the wrong size or it's really dirty/rusty.

It's definitely metric. Those are for the impact bar for sure. What are you trying to bolt onto there?

I gotcha, yea i picked up some metric ones to test fit, for a few bucks i figured why not.

As to why, I'm going to fab up a cross-member and bolt it into those holes. Reason being: Since i'm solid axle swapped, there really isn't a cross-member from the trans forward. The Thorparts bumper kinda acts like one but i want another for added rigidity. Mainly this is due to the trans fluid line coming out of the radiator when i was on the trail a couple of weeks ago. I've got a few theories as to why it happened. 1. The frame twist and flex somehow worked the clip loose. 2. the rubber flap that I have yet to cut off, knocked the clip loose somehow in a water or mud hole possibly. Or 3. it was already loose and the trail riding just sealed the deal and popped it out.
Either way I have no idea how it happened, but I want to make sure it doesn't happen again lol

Big ones are M10-1.5 and smaller are M6-1.0. If yours are like mine it'd be good to run a tap through the M6s.

Thank you! I did happen to buy both of those in my "test bolt" buy ha. I have a M10-1.5 tap already, might have to get the M6-1.0 depending on how nasty the threads are.

scoreh3

Fun fact... and this is a tangent from this thread. There's one component that is still fastened with a SAE fastener. I believe this is true with GM, Ford, & Toyota. This component is used multiple times per vehicle.

I say it’s the muffler bearing retaining nut .

Alpha X

.... Seatbelt Retractors. I'm not sure why, but I'm assuming it's because it's been extensively tested with a SAE fastener, and they aren't going to change now. If I recall correctly, GM, Ford, & Toyota are held with a 7/16-20, possibly other auto manufacturers. This was true 5 years ago, and I believe it is still true today. A buddy of mine said new GM full size trucks still use this fastener.