• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rascoles summer repairs & upgrades.

rascole

Rascoles summer down time. Here is the list of repairs and upgrades so far this year. Will add pictures as I go, too many for 1 post.

1. Modified front and read Thor bumpers. Rear D ring brackets welded, front bull bar welded.
2. Installed new Kenwood DMX907S radio with front camera on push bar & installed front and rear dash cameras, Kenwood DRV-A601WDP.
3. Replaced broken windshield.
4. Raptor Lined hood & roof.
5. Replaced 5 year old Optima yellow tops.
6. Repaired ARB air compressor, bad relay.
7. Replaced all pads, rotors and calipers with Power Stop Z36 package.
8. Repaired fried coil wire on front locker.
9. Replaced lower ball joints.
10. Repaired broken nut/bolt on steering rack clamp.
11. Replaced hubs.
12. Replaced front drive shaft with new Dana Spicer CV.
13. Installed Schwarttzy rock sliders.
14. Installed LPD 4590 LONG Transmission Cooler 28,000 LB rating.
15. Installed Lase.Design LED adapters and LED lights.
16. Installed Snorkel.
17. Installed Outfitter Design Extra HD tie rods.
18. Installed Outfitter Design under hood air compressor mount, but using it for sPod mount.
19. Installed Michigan Metal Works adjustable upper A arms.
20. Modified the Daystar dash tray to hold my GPS Ram mount and added a 12v USB outlet.

rascole

#4. Raptor lined the roof and hood. Because the roof and hood paint was fading bad I was going to Line X but could never get them to commit to color matching. After the run around, I research Raptor Lining and decided pull the trigger. I bought a cheap Harbor Freight paint gun, drilled out to 2mm, thinned the Raptor 10%, bought tint from a local auto paint supplier with color code and away I went. So far I am really happy with the smoother texture I wanted. More of a orange peel than a bedliner feel. Color match was good and has a satin/dull finish and helps with the hood glare from the roof LEDs. Time will tell if it holds up, but $300 total invested in Raptor, a sander and other goods, I can't go wrong.

20200911_172014 (1280x622).jpg
20200911_172041 (1280x622).jpg
20200907_074749 (1280x622).jpg
20200907_105547 (622x1280).jpg

rascole

#7 Replaced brakes with Power Stop Z36. A caliper was leaking and rotors and pads were close to needing replaced, instead of a rebuild kit for the caliper I bought a complete kit. Parking brake pads are a PITA to do with out help, definitely need a third hand.
20200612_151051 (622x1280).jpg

rascole

#10. Repaired broken weld nut/bolt on steering rack clamp. This had me worried that it was going to really difficult to repair, boy did I get lucky. I switched to a hex head bolt so a open head wrench can fit, the allen head is too tight of a fit.

20200917_165815 (622x1280).jpg
20200917_165830 (622x1280).jpg
20200917_165951 (622x1280).jpg

rascole

#16. Installed Snorkel. Glad I did, crossed the Mojave river when it was 36" deep. Taking the door off really make it easier and I used rivnuts with a dab of JB Weld for the A pillar bracket so removing the snorkel in the future will be much easier.

20200307_151005 (1280x622).jpg
20200307_120204 (1280x622).jpg
20200307_151010 (622x1280).jpg

rascole

#18. Installed Outfitter Design under hood air compressor mount, but using it for sPod mount. Had to buy a air box from a 08-10 from a junkyard to make it work but worth it. Made some standoff bolts to have a raised platform, sPod has small magnets to hold it down but makes it easy to remove if needed.
20200202_153742 (1280x622).jpg
20200320_160034 (622x1280).jpg
20200320_160105 (622x1280).jpg

rascole

#19. Installed Michigan Metal Works adjustable upper A arms. Tired of replacing the Moog upper A arms every year under warranty so I spent the extra $$ and upgraded.
20200216_120510 (622x1280).jpg
20200314_162837 (490x1008).jpg

rascole

I do have a couple of small trips with them and no issues. The benefit of these is longevity over OEM. Ball joints should last several years over several months.

Jeepwalker

Looks good. Lot of work! Reason they didn't commit on matching your paint color is b/c that's a difficult color to match under any circumstances. Even for a bodyshop.

Yeah, let us know how those UCA hold up. The ball joint looks good, but the rest of the arm doesn't look all that sturdy. But real-world performance is what matters. It would be nice if someone would make some cast steel UCA with a 'real' (replaceable) balljoint.

fowlken8

Rascole, teach me your raptor liner ways. I've sprayed it about ten times with the supplied gun and was looking for a much finer texture. I was about to buy the 80 dollar upol vari nozzle gun but was always curious about using an hvlp gun.

Which harbor freight gun did you buy? When you say drill it out to 2mm,did you unscrew the tip and just drill the hole with a 2mm bit? What psi did you spray at?

rascole

Rascole, teach me your raptor liner ways. I've sprayed it about ten times with the supplied gun and was looking for a much finer texture. I was about to buy the 80 dollar upol vari nozzle gun but was always curious about using an hvlp gun.

Which harbor freight gun did you buy? When you say drill it out to 2mm,did you unscrew the tip and just drill the hole with a 2mm bit? What psi did you spray at?
Harbor Freight $15 purple gun. The tip is a 1.4 and unscrews so it is easy to drill out. to 2mm. I split 1 bottle into 8 different test recipes. I found that 10% tint, 10% reducer at 50 PSI at the gun about 12 inches from the surface gave the texture I wanted. I sprayed a total of 4 coats and it is about as sooth a finish I could get. There is still a texture but as you can see from the pics it is not rough at all. I used about 2.5 bottles to spray the hood, vents & roof.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Does the raptor liner come with a type of UV protectant. I've line-xed stuff before and I much prefer a finer texture than what the line-x guys can get.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

fowlken8

It does have uv protection.

Are you experienced in spraying car paint? I am very streaky with actual paint and clear coat. I'm great at raptor with the standard gun. Was there a big learning curve with the hvlp gun?

rascole

It does have uv protection.

Are you experienced in spraying car paint? I am very streaky with actual paint and clear coat. I'm great at raptor with the standard gun. Was there a big learning curve with the hvlp gun?
1. UPOL says it is UV resistant. I haven't seen any older than a year and they look good. There are a few members here that can better answer that though.
2.I have never used a HVLP gun before or any other automotive equipment. Rattle can is the best I have done.
3. If you are great with the regular gun you'll be a pro with a HVLP. The reducer makes it fool proof.

Korby7

Rascoles summer down time. Here is the list of repairs and upgrades so far this year. Will add pictures as I go, too many for 1 post.

1. Modified front and read Thor bumpers. Rear D ring brackets welded, front bull bar welded.
2. Installed new Kenwood DMX907S radio with front camera on push bar & installed front and rear dash cameras, Kenwood DRV-A601WDP.
3. Replaced broken windshield.
4. Raptor Lined hood & roof.
5. Replaced 5 year old Optima yellow tops.
6. Repaired ARB air compressor, bad relay.
7. Replaced all pads, rotors and calipers with Power Stop Z36 package.
8. Repaired fried coil wire on front locker.
9. Replaced lower ball joints.
10. Repaired broken nut/bolt on steering rack clamp.
11. Replaced hubs.
12. Replaced front drive shaft with new Dana Spicer CV.
13. Installed Schwarttzy rock sliders.
14. Installed LPD 4590 LONG Transmission Cooler 28,000 LB rating.
15. Installed Lase.Design LED adapters and LED lights.
16. Installed Snorkel.
17. Installed Outfitter Design Extra HD tie rods.
18. Installed Outfitter Design under hood air compressor mount, but using it for sPod mount.
19. Installed Michigan Metal Works adjustable upper A arms.
20. Modified the Daystar dash tray to hold my GPS Ram mount and added a 12v USB outlet.

Where’d you mount the S-pod switches? I’m looking to get an older one with the 6 rocker switches.

rascole

fowlken8

I'm ordering my raptor today. Questions about thinning, how did you do it exactly?

You used a urethane reducer I'm guessing? Or will standard lacquer thinner work?

For the 10 percent reduction did you do this by weight; weigh the bottle then add 10 percent thinner and then the tint? Or just base it off of the ounces listed on the bottle?

If I'm spraying black, will thinning it lighten up the color at all?

rascole

I'm ordering my raptor today. Questions about thinning, how did you do it exactly?

You used a urethane reducer I'm guessing? Or will standard lacquer thinner work?

For the 10 percent reduction did you do this by weight; weigh the bottle then add 10 percent thinner and then the tint? Or just base it off of the ounces listed on the bottle?

If I'm spraying black, will thinning it lighten up the color at all?

I used Restoration Shop/Custom Shop - UR70[FONT=Amazon Ember, Arial, sans-serif] at a 10% reduction by volume, Raptor + hardener = 32 ounces. Tint and thinner were equal amounts of 10%. I took each bottle of Raptor and split it into 2 separate mixing cups because I wasn't covering enough area to use a complete bottle for each coat and the spray gun has only a 20 ounce cup.
UPOL dos not recommend regular thinner.
It will not lighten up the black, I have seen several jobs similar to mine that actually looked glossier that the regular gun and thickness, I can only assume it is because the smoother texture.
Raptor is cheap enough for you to spray some tests to see what best suits your needs. But like anything to do with painting 99% of the job is prep work. Sand and clean and repeat 10 times
[/FONT]