• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

SASd H3 Sway Bar Setup

Reloader

Ok, finally got some measurements of springs. The stock 93 Landcruiser springs are 19 inches long laying on the ground. But I’m sure they are probably a little longer new as these are 28 years old. The Slee mediums for the 4 inch lift (really a 5 inch lift), are roughly 20” uncompressed and 16 and 16.5 inches compressed. There is a right and left spring and the longer one goes on the passenger side. But that may be for right hand drive.
Are you positive about the 36” Antirock set up? I got mine today and it appears to be too short.

Korby7

Thanks for getting me the measurements on the FJ springs. I've got a set of new OME leaf springs I'll try n sell before I pull the trigger on anything.
I re-re-measured the sway bar and then did some digging in the files and found the packing slip. Its a CE-9901-18 Universal Anti-Rock Kit - 36" X .750 Diameter Bar - W/ 18" Steel Arms.
Its mounted just below the bottom of the frame and 1" behind the center of the front body mount. I put a slight outward bend just before the dogleg on the 1/2" arms that just clears the steering box.

IMG_E9982.JPG

I've got the FJ60 steering box set as far back and as close as possible to the Ballistic Fab adjustable coil / shock mounts that 4Speed recommended.
You can see how far back the steering box is mounted on the last post of the previous page. I don't know that I'd be able to clear if I'd used a Delphi box.
If I could go back, I'd look into shoehorning an inboard beefed up and ported JK box on the inside of the frame with a PSC ram. Stupidly, I rushed a lot of things
to get it back on its wheels since it was 60 miles from my house and driving 120 miles every day I worked on it was killin' me.

Reloader

Ok, now I see that 36” is correct. Wasn’t sure how you were routing things. Thanks for the info.
So you have a set of rear OME leaf springs for an H3? I may be interested in them. What you asking for them. After I did my rear spring over and then the Dana 44 install my rig is tilting a bit to the left in the rear. I assume the rear springs are sagging. I replaced the oe ones with new ones about 50K ago. I priced a new set of OMEs at 4Wheel parts. The have several sets in stock in their warehouses.

Korby7

The OME leaf springs are the +.75” ones. They added a lot more than .75”. More like 2-3”. I think I saw a post on here saying it’s designed to be .75” with an ARB rear bumper and loaded cargo space. I thought about frenching in new rear hangers in the back to take up some of the excess but the factory leafs are working for now. It looks like they’re $244 on 4wheel parts. I’d let them go for $200 if you’re interested. I can’t match their free shipping unless you’d want them Moab express in April.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Thanks for getting me the measurements on the FJ springs. I've got a set of new OME leaf springs I'll try n sell before I pull the trigger on anything.
I re-re-measured the sway bar and then did some digging in the files and found the packing slip. Its a CE-9901-18 Universal Anti-Rock Kit - 36" X .750 Diameter Bar - W/ 18" Steel Arms.
Its mounted just below the bottom of the frame and 1" behind the center of the front body mount. I put a slight outward bend just before the dogleg on the 1/2" arms that just clears the steering box.

View attachment 27173

I've got the FJ60 steering box set as far back and as close as possible to the Ballistic Fab adjustable coil / shock mounts that 4Speed recommended.
You can see how far back the steering box is mounted on the last post of the previous page. I don't know that I'd be able to clear if I'd used a Delphi box.
If I could go back, I'd look into shoehorning an inboard beefed up and ported JK box on the inside of the frame with a PSC ram. Stupidly, I rushed a lot of things
to get it back on its wheels since it was 60 miles from my house and driving 120 miles every day I worked on it was killin' me.

I think you went the right route without using a JK box. I have never been impressed with them, they barely could turn 35s without ram assist on my brothers JK. My xterra box turns 43s easier with ram assist then his JK box on 40s with ram assist.

I don’t think the box turns as tight either

Reloader

I can’t add any more lift to this truck. I got 5 inches in the rear when I did the spring over. I raised front perches. Removed add a leaf from rear OE springs and went back to factory rear shackles. Even 3/4” is too much .Guess it’s gonna have to be new factory springs at $248 ea. Plus tax but no shipping from dealer.

Reloader

No room on an Alpha rig for inboard box. Power steering pump is right there. I shimmed my Nissan box out with a 3/8” spacer shim to give it more clearance between pump reservoir and steering gear. I now have about 3/4” between gear and return hose nipple before return hose is attached. I also replaced both motor mounts while I was doing conversion. Try finding a set of those . Dealer item only. No after market units out there like for 5 cylinders. Rock auto lists them but the are genuine GM. My dealer had to get one of each from different dealers back east. My mounts weren’t broken but had 165K on them. Much easier to change after you cut off all the IFS crap from frame.

Korby7

Reloader- I don’t blame you. That’s the same reason I put the factory ones back on. I don’t care for stink buggin’ and I didn’t want to level it to that height.

06H3- thanks for the input.

I guess I’m glad I have the 60 series box especially since I have a sway bar set up now. It turns 37s fine and I imagine will be that much better off-road when I get around to installing the ram and replacing the tired pump.

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
It should, if you replace your pump you can look into removing the little orfice that restricts flow. I don’t know if the I5 pumps have that but most pumps do have a little restrictor, it’s pretty popular to remove it for more flow when doing ram assist.

Reloader, I’m curious what ride height your at in the rear. Hopefully we can get our rigs next to each other in Moab to compare.

jimmy p

It should, if you replace your pump you can look into removing the little orfice that restricts flow. I don’t know if the I5 pumps have that but most pumps do have a little restrictor, it’s pretty popular to remove it for more flow when doing ram assist.

Reloader, I’m curious what ride height your at in the rear. Hopefully we can get our rigs next to each other in Moab to compare.
Did you remove the restrictor on your envoy pump when you did the 5.3 swap? After my tbss ls2 swap my power steering with ram assist isn't working nearly as well (read hardly at all) as when the i5 was in it. I thought it was air in the system or cold weather at first but it still hasn't improved after bleeding g the system and some miles on it. I was reading about the restrictor when I did the ram assist with the i5 but it didn't seem to need it then.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Korby7

I'm at 26.5" hub center to fender. Factory leafs, factory shackles, new raised front hanger. I'm hoping to make Moab too but really up in the air with work. It'd be fun to meet some members and see some other builds.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Did you remove the restrictor on your envoy pump when you did the 5.3 swap? After my tbss ls2 swap my power steering with ram assist isn't working nearly as well (read hardly at all) as when the i5 was in it. I thought it was air in the system or cold weather at first but it still hasn't improved after bleeding g the system and some miles on it. I was reading about the restrictor when I did the ram assist with the i5 but it didn't seem to need it then.

Honestly, I don’t remember, it was years ago but I believe I did.

jimmy p

Does the pump on the alphas have the restrictor? I've got mine all the way apart right now so if something to do I can do it now.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
FYI 4speedfunk said he didn't have to modify the alpha pump when he added ram assist to his builds. I found that my tbss pump pn is different than the alpha, trying to figure out if it might have more restriction and is causing my problem.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
FYI 4speedfunk said he didn't have to modify the alpha pump when he added ram assist to his builds. I found that my tbss pump pn is different than the alpha, trying to figure out if it might have more restriction and is causing my problem.

Yea he did my swap and I am running a Fj80 steeringbox with ram assist. I just wasn't sure if there was something else I should lookout for while I got it all apart. I should say I haven't had any drivability issues, but I'm all for improvement mods ifthey're there.

Reloader

Mine measures 45.5” fender lip to ground front and rear. Front axle is 29” center of hub to fender. Rear axle is the same. But I have a 1” body lift also.
rolling on 37/12.50/17 Cooper STT Pros.View attachment 27182View attachment 27183View attachment 27184image.jpg

4speedfunk

Leafs un-even?

I learned years ago that if you tighten the leaf spring bolts while the truck is in the air, it can make the truck sit crooked. So I always do my final torque after it’s back on the ground.

You might be able to use this same scenario to your advantage. Try loosening all three spring bolts on the saggy side...jack the truck up (by the frame)...then re-tighten the bolts while it’s in the air. Sit it back down and see if it corrects the lean.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Korby, one of your first comments was you had hoped for more resistance on the sway bar when cornering.

There is a Currie bar that’s thicker. CE-99001D.

The current bar you have is .770 thick. This one is .850 thick.

When you throw in the dimensions in a sway bar rate calculator I’m showing it’s about a 45% increase in stiffness based off the 18in arm.

Korby7

Korby, one of your first comments was you had hoped for more resistance on the sway bar when cornering.

There is a Currie bar that’s thicker. CE-99001D.

The current bar you have is .770 thick. This one is .850 thick.

When you throw in the dimensions in a sway bar rate calculator I’m showing it’s about a 45% increase in stiffness based off the 18in arm.

Great information Chris. Thanks for sharing. I’m ok with where it is but improvement is always welcome. I’ll add it to my to do list and report back.