• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Interior accessory / actuator lights

Dyno Dan

For the first time last night I ran my new Hummer H3 Alpha in the dark. I quickly noticed that all of the HVAC back lighting was nonexistent, and I believe none of the back lighting for the door mounted window actuators were backlit either. I’ll take a closer look at all of the stuff that seemingly would be back with later this evening.

I did do a little searching and found that the HVAC back lights are pretty a common failure. I just find it strange that there isn’t back waiting on anything. Does that mean I should check a fuse somewhere, or any other tips and tricks?

chinsH3

I think for the window actuators, it deoends on the year. I have an 09 and only the driver is lit. There are seemingly holes for individual LEDs in the other door switches, but they do not loght them up. As for the HVAC controls....research will show you a new HVAC control is super expensive. If it is simply the backlighting, take apart the HVAC switch housing and insert your own LEDs, problem solved. I did this a couple years ago, I believe they are NEO4 (4mm) LEDs

Dyno Dan

Just checked the drivers side door lock backlighting is working. HVAC is definitely not. Also, should the 4H, 4H locked, and 4L locked icons be backlit?

scoreh3

The hvac and window switch lights are all the same bulbs and Schwarttzy sells a set that will fix both .

Dyno Dan

Two out of the three HVAC bulbs were bad however the one that was good still doesn’t light up even with switching its position. Also none of the new bulbs light up. This leads me to believe it’s something at the PCB level.

Lauren

Just checked the drivers side door lock backlighting is working. HVAC is definitely not. Also, should the 4H, 4H locked, and 4L locked icons be backlit?

Yes the 4x4 buttons should be backlit

My 09 V8/Alpha ... (V8's that were built in South Africa aren't called 'Alpha'.. right..?)... Anyway, sometimes my door lights don't work but usually if I punch it hard enough they come back on :giggle:

But I've seen on Amazon that you can literally just buy new switches.. don't know if that helps..

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hummer+h...x=hummer+h3+door+,aps,451&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_15

Dyno Dan

I ordered new 4wd drive switches. I also ordered a used Pontiac Solstice GXP HVAC control, which is apparently a direct replacement for the H3.

I’ll report back once installed.

Dyno Dan

Same thing with new controls, no backlighting!?!? So, one thing I noticed as well is the “dimmer wheel” doesn’t actually dim the dash lights when the lights are on. Could that assembly possibly be the culprit?

Also I should note that this has a Kenwood stereo, remote start / alarm, and the vehicle comms module that translates / bypasses signals to allow the remote start thing to function. I say this because there’s some level of lighting control when you lock / unlock, so maybe there’s a potential for this to affect interior backlighting?