• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Aux Battery question

Booch

Sitting in Afganistan I've been designing some upgrades to my H2 for when I get home one being adding a second AUX Battery. Just curious if anyone else on here has a second Battery and where did you put the second. Because space is limited in the engine compartment I came up with two options to use an AGM sealed battery with about 100 AH rating first option, would be fabricating a battery tray and putting it behind the right rear cargo area trim panel over the tire well second would re-use my compressor tray in the back but that would leave all the connections vulnerable to the elements

AUX Battery Option1.jpgAUX Battery Option2.JPG

Thanks for the input, trying to keep all items as hidden as I can with exception of the control panels. Also per the aux charger manual looks like the cables will need to be AWG 8 and 10

Last edited:

MilamJR

Saw on your profile that you are building to do over landing so what are you looking to power and for how long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Booch

I'm looking to have a battery good for 100 AH, will be powering a small crockpot when traveling and a fridge possible a day or two when not traveling, and the usual other items to include tablet and phone. I looked at the DC to DC chargers as I really like the efficiency of how they work, I chose the CTEK over the REDARC mainly because I got it almost 50% off and It came with the battery monitor system. The rig is being built mainly for my comfort and to bring others with us to see what they are missing in the world. My Fj40 although very very fun can be a pain on the kidneys and the extra room is sparse in it. When possible I try to design and fabricate items myself.

MilamJR

43a6ecfbadc9a9022b295325a5fc162b.jpg

Might want to take a look at this option. I am pretty sure you can plug it into a cigarette lighter plug to recharge or connect to solar panels.

Booch

A good option but I don't like the price for those power units. I'm repurposing a lot of items in my garage, with my design I have all the items with the exception of the Battery

MilamJR

Understand. Lithium is going to give you much more useable battery life but will be expensive too. Battle Born makes a great battery but it is about $1,000 each.