• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

does everyone here routinely grease the pitman/idler/assembly?

apollo18

i never knew that the pitman/idler/assembly had to be greased and tbh i never did it myself or cared to check, i assumed the dealerships would maintain the truck and grease whatever was necessary when i took it for oil change services but i assume i was wrong. so i wanted to ask do you guys routinely grease those points? i know the ball joints and tie rods are super easy to get to so those are obvious but im asking about the harder to reach pitman / idler / assembly

thx!

Iwillnc

No dealers will not maintain them.

In fact I had my truck in for a service and requested the dealer to grease the front end. When I inquired at the end of the visit they stated the ballpoints did NOT have grease fittings and everything was sealed.

****in blew me away they would say that to me knowing damn well I had touched every one of those grease fittings myself dozens upon dozens of times.

So yes it is important to grease them, however in the 176k miles of my trucks life I have never greased the idler support bracket because the fitting is not greasable witho it being removed.

I have a new idler arm bracket ready to go on with a grease fitting relocation kit as it has finally failed.