• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Tips for a new off roader

DaDankTank

Hey guy and gals, I just recently got a hummer and wanna learn how to off road. Any tips for it or any thing special I need to do to my truck before I go off road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Moved to a more appropriate section. You'll want general advice as well as H2 specific advice.

DaDankTank

Just seeing what’s out there in form of tips, wanna learn off roading but not sure what I need to do to my truck (Hummer sut) to prepare it for off roading (Also I have never done off roading before so I’m super green to this world)

TonkaTank93

First things first, don't start thinking you have to throw thousands of dollars around to go off road. Our trucks are very capable from the factory.

The first items I make sure to have when I'm going out on the trails, or out for a ride are the following
1. A buddy in their own rig (I've made the mistake of going out alone and its almost cost me my rig)
2. A tow / recovery strap
3. A high lift jack (I carry a 54" but a 48" will do just fine most times)
4. A first aid kit
5. A fire extinguisher
6. A tire pump (preferably electric as a manual pump just invites a miserable time)

Aside from those basic things, there's really not too much to off roading for a beginner. If you learn better by watching videos, there's plenty of educational videos on YouTube that go over every little detail you could want to know regarding the off road world.

DaDankTank

First things first, don't start thinking you have to throw thousands of dollars around to go off road. Our trucks are very capable from the factory.

The first items I make sure to have when I'm going out on the trails, or out for a ride are the following
1. A buddy in their own rig (I've made the mistake of going out alone and its almost cost me my rig)
2. A tow / recovery strap
3. A high lift jack (I carry a 54" but a 48" will do just fine most times)
4. A first aid kit
5. A fire extinguisher
6. A tire pump (preferably electric as a manual pump just invites a miserable time)

Aside from those basic things, there's really not too much to off roading for a beginner. If you learn better by watching videos, there's plenty of educational videos on YouTube that go over every little detail you could want to know regarding the off road world.

Awesome man thanks! I’ll have to find someone with a rig, no one I know does this so I need to find a local club or something in my area

Zach

Mall Crawler
Awesome man thanks! I’ll have to find someone with a rig, no one I know does this so I need to find a local club or something in my area

Definitely want to have at least a second rig with you. Just in case you need help.
From San Diego? Well, what it shows. I’d start with easy stuff, fire roads etc. maybe anza borrego/ocotillo wells. Some easy stuff out there. The truck training center. Some pretty cool stuff out there to learn on. Put up a post in the So Cal section to see if anyone wants to get out and hit a trail. I might be interested depending on timeframe. Been awhile since I’ve been out[emoji106]

DaDankTank

Definitely want to have at least a second rig with you. Just in case you need help.
From San Diego? Well, what it shows. I’d start with easy stuff, fire roads etc. maybe anza borrego/ocotillo wells. Some easy stuff out there. The truck training center. Some pretty cool stuff out there to learn on. Put up a post in the So Cal section to see if anyone wants to get out and hit a trail. I might be interested depending on timeframe. Been awhile since I’ve been out[emoji106]

Yea man I’m from SD, and I’d love to go out, gotta do my breaks on Friday but this weekend I should be free I definitely would want to hit the trails