• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Alpha Exhaust Manifold Bolt.....Busted

Dyno Dan

My new to Alpha had a slight tick when cold, and when you rev’d it up I could tell it was an exhaust leak. After inspected underneath I didn’t notice anything but looking up to the block I noticed the rear most exhaust bolt on the drivers side was broke. I was able to get a small right angle drill down there and still the bolt fairly well. I soaked it the best I could with PB7, but it was likely not effective since the manifold was still intact. I got an extractor in place and had a really good bite, but it would budge. After some internet research I fools this, Doorman part number 917-107. 20 minutes later the slight tick was gone.....clever little thing.

b6229c36ae3fba8fdcc426c6390c000d.jpg

64a6aa7a6825a927f53a42a50af3e207.jpg

3fe19eb92de3a7fa14b3448b481612c4.jpg

52ebb413f148c17daaaa3fd6e01eb3e8.jpg

08H3

I used one of those on my truck. Some people will probably give you crap about not fixing it the "right way", but I agree with you. It's a really nice solution to save a heck of a lot of time and works just as well.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Nice fix. If the problem ever gets worse, you can address it the "right way" but this gets it done, right?

atvspeed4

Broken exhaust manifold bolt removal used to be my least favorite job on the hummers but now that we have done so many of these it's not bad with a welder. The alphas seem to be the most common but we have done several 5 cyl and one h2

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
If you ever get around to putting a little crack like this one in your exhaust manifold you'll get the chance to swap out that bolt.
i-4NQcWdv-L.jpg

i-4NQcWdv-L.jpg

scoreh3

I had a crack(s) in my I5 manifold , what is it with GM and their broken manifolds and bolts ? My Fords have never had that issue.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I think the crack was due to a poorly installed aftermarket catback muffler. As for the broken bolts I had before that, it might've had something to do with trying to catch up to our group on the highway. It was east of San Diego, 112 degrees outside and he was doing 100 mph. My truck got a little hot that day.

650Hawk

Those brackets are great, several companies make/sell them. That model will work for the left rear or the right front. There is another version for the right rear/left front.

MTUH3

I am going to remember this one. I just extracted a broken bolt from the engine I am rebuilding. Used an oversize nut and welded to the bolt, she backed right out.