• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Opinions on a second rig.

rascole

My son and I are looking to get a second off road rig. I have gone on a lot more trips since we’ve become empty nesters and I enjoy a mix of terrains. I can easily spend a week in Death Valley or Moab. Versatility will be key.
We have 3 options we are considering and looking for some feedback and opinions. At minimum all will be a SAS regardless of choice so fab cost will likely be close. This will be my rig and our 06 H3 will stay with my son.
First option is a 2009+ Tahoe - 6L80E, a lot more room and aftermarket support.
Second is 2016 Colorado Duramax, non-ZR2. More room and a lot aftermarket support and options for the bed rack.
Last is a 2008 H3 Alpha. Now as much as I would like the H3 it is too costly compared to the other 2. Same purchase price as the others but parts are getting harder to find and more expensive as time goes and aftermarket support is almost zero.

rascole

I was quoted 20k everything turn key for the fab work and parts. Colorado will have a higher purchase price but not by much. 40 to 50k by the time I hit the dirt.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

EndeavoredH3

My dad owns a 2016 GMC Canyon SLT with the Duramax. He hasn't had one bad thing to say about it. From the times I've driven it it has been a great truck to drive.

1claire

Go for the 2016 Colorado Duramax. It is a good alternative to a full size truck and the maintenance is not as expensive compared to the other options.

cbetts

NERD!!!
I am with the crowd and would get the Colorado. My garage couldn't hold one which was why I didn't keep it on my list of possibilities when I sold the H3. I know space is not an issue for you. :)

Sent from my Pokémon GO appliance using Tapatalk

rascole

Yeah, space isn't a issue. Tahoe SSV are cheap and plenty of them out there and they have factory HD components. I really like the diesel but rumor has it GM has discontinued them moving forward and that will drive the price up and make future parts harder to find. Don't want to get stuck like the us Atlas motor guys with a engine replacement cost more than double of a V8. If GM brings the diesel back and it is only a temporary delay, I might consider it. Hoping to make a purchase by this time next year and take my time with the build.

deserth3

I like my 2017 z71 Silverado crew short bed. Plenty of elbow room. Better gas milage than the Colorado. The 5.3 v8 steps out very nicely.
I added two inches by putting leveling struts on the front and 2 inch lift blocks on the back.
Dura tracks finish it if very nicely.
Also allot of aftermarket
When new. It was cheaper than a Colorado zr2.
Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rascole

I like my 2017 z71 Silverado crew short bed. Plenty of elbow room. Better gas milage than the Colorado. The 5.3 v8 steps out very nicely.
I added two inches by putting leveling struts on the front and 2 inch lift blocks on the back.
Dura tracks finish it if very nicely.
Also allot of aftermarket
When new. It was cheaper than a Colorado zr2.
Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
The Silverados are nice but they are just too big to do some of the trails. Even a Tahoe is pushing it and that's as big as I want.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I’d go Tahoe. Most room. Can carry a bunch of people.

I have had friends with the opposite experience on the Colorado. Issue after issue. Stupid things like AC issues and electrical issues.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I took my Silverado on some hard wheeling this week. Had to be a good quarter mile of hard pack dirt and sand with about 50 feet of soft sand. Even put it in 4 low to exercise the transfer case in that sand.
Colorado%20Aug%202020%20%2838%29-L.jpg

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Alex, you really need a Scorpion for that much and kind of hard wheeling so you don't tear up your truck.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Zach

Mall Crawler
I took my Silverado on some hard wheeling this week. Had to be a good quarter mile of hard pack dirt and sand with about 50 feet of soft sand. Even put it in 4 low to exercise the transfer case in that sand.

Damn! El Diablo, you do amazing with photoshop pics[emoji1787]

rascole

Definitely photoshopped, where is there that much water in Phoenix.:)