Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
    Low Profile
    Thanks

Frustrating two weeks

Over the last two weeks this truck has tested me.

I finally got the redhead steering box issue straightened out which I hope to detail later.

1)When replacing the gear box I did fully check the steering system for anything loose as I was ready to replace anything bad. Everything checked out.

3 days later I start getting a clunking noise, so I go over everything again, the idler support is bad and clunks in and out vertically. Wonderful. Frustrating but it happens

2) After putting about 1,500-2,000 miles on my gearbox I suddenly (right before one of the steepest hills I know of, of course) get a message on my truck ďService Braking SystemĒ accompanied by the ABS light, emergency brake light, and traction control light.

Immediately I pull over (obviously brakes work) check fluids in everything since Iíve had so much open as of late; nothing, canít see any visible issues. Before I move the truck I check online and see that itís an electrical issue and Iíll have to send off my EBCM to get fixed.

3) Driving to Charleston this weekend, half way from home and half way to Charleston at about 7:15PM I get a message ďBattery not chargingĒ with the battery light, gauge shows 9 volts. Freaking wonderful. Quickly search online for auto parts store, 6 minutes away, try to swiftly get there before the truck shuts off.

Arrive, fortunately they have the part, they are awesome and lend me their tools, I change the superheated alternator in the parking lot, SOB did not want to align properly. They charged my battery on their setup while I changed the alternator. Finally got it together after an hour and 15, would have been significantly sooner if the damn alternator bolts would have aligned up easier.

Seriously started looking at a Ford 7.3L 4.30 gears Tremor, 15MPG would be nice, not constantly having issues would also be nice. I realize age causes this, and the alternator was at its end of life, but I mean this constant fixing issues wears on a man.

I can honestly say in 10 years I have replaced almost every part of this truck at least once, in some cases twice.

Just needed to vent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Positive is that as you replace everything you gain experience and it is a lot easier the next time. Plus that truck is probably $70k.

El Diablo
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,721 Posts
    Wow, that's a horrible week. These repairs seem to come in waves for me (like celebrity deaths?) so maybe you'll be good for a while. Christy Lee has one of those Tremors so you could be cool like her.

Low Profile
    Thanks

Frustrating two weeks

Quote Originally Posted by MilamJR View Post
    Positive is that as you replace everything you gain experience and it is a lot easier the next time. Plus that truck is probably $70k.

Trust me I donít need anymore experience, Iíve turned enough bolts to know how itís done.

And actually those trucks start in the low $50k range, which isnít too bad.
    The biggest problem with those trucks is that they donít like tires over 35-11.5.
    Last edited by Iwillnc; 06-30-2020 at 07:59 AM.

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alrock View Post
    Wow, that's a horrible week. These repairs seem to come in waves for me (like celebrity deaths?) so maybe you'll be good for a while. Christy Lee has one of those Tremors so you could be cool like her.
    I wish I could be good for a while, my truck has a history of breaking, getting fixed - and something completely different breaking immediately after fixing the first problem.
    I imagine once I fix the idler support and ebcm that something somewhere else on the truck will fail shortly thereafter.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Try driving a 60 year old armored vehicle. You will think your Hummer is a mechanical masterpiece.
    1998 H1 Open Top
    1994 H1 HMC4
    1992 H1 HMC4 LE
    1990 1025 Armament Carrier

KJ6JCC

BlackSheep Hummer Squadron, H1 PsychoSquad