• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Frustrating two weeks

Iwillnc

Over the last two weeks this truck has tested me.

I finally got the redhead steering box issue straightened out which I hope to detail later.

1)When replacing the gear box I did fully check the steering system for anything loose as I was ready to replace anything bad. Everything checked out.

3 days later I start getting a clunking noise, so I go over everything again, the idler support is bad and clunks in and out vertically. Wonderful. Frustrating but it happens

2) After putting about 1,500-2,000 miles on my gearbox I suddenly (right before one of the steepest hills I know of, of course) get a message on my truck “Service Braking System” accompanied by the ABS light, emergency brake light, and traction control light.

Immediately I pull over (obviously brakes work) check fluids in everything since I’ve had so much open as of late; nothing, can’t see any visible issues. Before I move the truck I check online and see that it’s an electrical issue and I’ll have to send off my EBCM to get fixed.

3) Driving to Charleston this weekend, half way from home and half way to Charleston at about 7:15PM I get a message “Battery not charging” with the battery light, gauge shows 9 volts. Freaking wonderful. Quickly search online for auto parts store, 6 minutes away, try to swiftly get there before the truck shuts off.

Arrive, fortunately they have the part, they are awesome and lend me their tools, I change the superheated alternator in the parking lot, SOB did not want to align properly. They charged my battery on their setup while I changed the alternator. Finally got it together after an hour and 15, would have been significantly sooner if the damn alternator bolts would have aligned up easier.

Seriously started looking at a Ford 7.3L 4.30 gears Tremor, 15MPG would be nice, not constantly having issues would also be nice. I realize age causes this, and the alternator was at its end of life, but I mean this constant fixing issues wears on a man.

I can honestly say in 10 years I have replaced almost every part of this truck at least once, in some cases twice.

Just needed to vent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MilamJR

Positive is that as you replace everything you gain experience and it is a lot easier the next time. Plus that truck is probably $70k.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Wow, that's a horrible week. These repairs seem to come in waves for me (like celebrity deaths?) so maybe you'll be good for a while. Christy Lee has one of those Tremors so you could be cool like her.

Iwillnc

Positive is that as you replace everything you gain experience and it is a lot easier the next time. Plus that truck is probably $70k.

Trust me I don’t need anymore experience, I’ve turned enough bolts to know how it’s done.

And actually those trucks start in the low $50k range, which isn’t too bad.
The biggest problem with those trucks is that they don’t like tires over 35-11.5.

Last edited:

Iwillnc

Wow, that's a horrible week. These repairs seem to come in waves for me (like celebrity deaths?) so maybe you'll be good for a while. Christy Lee has one of those Tremors so you could be cool like her.

I wish I could be good for a while, my truck has a history of breaking, getting fixed - and something completely different breaking immediately after fixing the first problem.
I imagine once I fix the idler support and ebcm that something somewhere else on the truck will fail shortly thereafter.

Guerrero

Over the last two weeks this truck has tested me.

I finally got the redhead steering box issue straightened out which I hope to detail later.

1)When replacing the gear box I did fully check the steering system for anything loose as I was ready to replace anything bad. Everything checked out.

3 days later I start getting a clunking noise, so I go over everything again, the idler support is bad and clunks in and out vertically. Wonderful. Frustrating but it happens

2) After putting about 1,500-2,000 miles on my gearbox I suddenly (right before one of the steepest hills I know of, of course) get a message on my truck “Service Braking System” accompanied by the ABS light, emergency brake light, and traction control light.

Immediately I pull over (obviously brakes work) check fluids in everything since I’ve had so much open as of late; nothing, can’t see any visible issues. Before I move the truck I check online and see that it’s an electrical issue and I’ll have to send off my EBCM to get fixed.

3) Driving to Charleston this weekend, half way from home and half way to Charleston at about 7:15PM I get a message “Battery not charging” with the battery light, gauge shows 9 volts. Freaking wonderful. Quickly search online for auto parts store, 6 minutes away, try to swiftly get there before the truck shuts off.

Arrive, fortunately they have the part, they are awesome and lend me their tools, I change the superheated alternator in the parking lot, SOB did not want to align properly. They charged my battery on their setup while I changed the alternator. Finally got it together after an hour and 15, would have been significantly sooner if the damn alternator bolts would have aligned up easier.

Seriously started looking at a Ford 7.3L 4.30 gears Tremor, 15MPG would be nice, not constantly having issues would also be nice. I realize age causes this, and the alternator was at its end of life, but I mean this constant fixing issues wears on a man.

I can honestly say in 10 years I have replaced almost every part of this truck at least once, in some cases twice.

Just needed to vent

How much miles do you have on your h2?

It seems that you had bad luck with that particular unit of h2.... I have from 2007 a Hummer H3, bought with only 6 month and 6000 miles....and its 13 years and 120000 miles now and never let me stranded or need a tow..
Yes I replaced a lot of parts but almost nothing about failure, I only enjoy doing a very meticulous maintenance, we do a lot of offroad every year and extreme driving conditions in Sahara desert once per year during more than 2000 miles and 10 days each time. We travel with my h3 since 2007 and my father have a 2008 H2 since 2014 doing the same extreme desert runs and only two minor problem..one being the Fuel pump module, and another one a defective ground that was difficult to find..but nothing more

I have the suspect that h3s are more reliable than pre2008 Hummer h2....is only my feeling

You can try the 2008 Hummer H2 with the 6.2 engine, is totally different, reliable and strong..you only need to take care of the Fuel Pump Control Module (the water can come inside and ruins it out, so its needed to seal it better), and the Ground located in the Throttle body area, in the front of the motor upper part is a defective ground that cut from the metal attachment (I see that in two different 2008 H2 exactly the same way)
Despite that, proper maintenance, each 100000 miles replace eveything in the front end and steering and its a tough beast!

Hope you dont feel disenchanted about Hummers....some times a bad unit arise and is only bad luck, but they are almost the best 4x4 out there for me and my experiences...

Good Luck!

Iwillnc

I’m nearing 176k now, so stuff is bound to go wrong, but damn if it never stops.

It’s better that I don’t make a list of all the repairs for the sake of my sanity. Suffice to say every major component has been opened at least once.

Zach

Mall Crawler
I’m nearing 176k now, so stuff is bound to go wrong, but damn if it never stops.

It’s better that I don’t make a list of all the repairs for the sake of my sanity. Suffice to say every major component has been opened at least once.

It does happen. The list I would have, would be like a novel lol. But, with it all, I can’t complain and keep driving the pig

Iwillnc

Let’s see,
Off the top of my head, not including fixes made to prevent known failure points (looking at radiator coolant/trans mixing)

Both passenger and driver side exhaust manifold bolts
Driver side catalytic converter
Transmission
Transfer case (though this probably could have kept going a while longer
Every front end component at least once except both LCA ball joints (I am actually surprised they have held up)
Obviously hubs several times
Brake booster 2 times, now needs a 3rd replacement
Radiator
Water pump
4 driver side front axle seals all done by Hummer dealer
4 recirculate actuators (complete dash pull) all done by Hummer dealer
3 HVAC control units
Sway bar bushing are acceptable failures
O2 sensor
Fuel pump
Both brake lines rubbing through fuel shield and both need to be replaced
When axles were rebuilt 3 out of 4 seals were leaking.
Seat heaters have a short
Couple switches replaced due to bad lights
3 rear window tracks have failed
One Head was replaced but that wasn’t trucks fault - though it was due to failed manifold bolts
EBCM has failed circuit board now
Alternator although that’s more or less expected at the miles it failed even if it is frustrating
06+ mirrors were installed under original factory warranty
Front diff bushings
HVAC developed leak at pressure valve
AC frankly sucks above 90 degrees unless your moving highway speeds for 30+ minutes.
Multitude of water leaks - including body seam seal failure
Antenna rotted away, getting to the point the replacement is starting to look bad
Sunroof only vents now - no real fix to this.

I have stacks of warranty repair documents that are probably just as long with failures I didn’t list as ones I did.

Likewise if I actually started looking over the truck I could find several more things I did myself.

MilamJR

Let’s see,
Off the top of my head, not including fixes made to prevent known failure points (looking at radiator coolant/trans mixing)

Both passenger and driver side exhaust manifold bolts
Driver side catalytic converter
Transmission
Transfer case (though this probably could have kept going a while longer
Every front end component at least once except both LCA ball joints (I am actually surprised they have held up)
Obviously hubs several times
Brake booster 2 times, now needs a 3rd replacement
Radiator
Water pump
4 driver side front axle seals all done by Hummer dealer
4 recirculate actuators (complete dash pull) all done by Hummer dealer
3 HVAC control units
Sway bar bushing are acceptable failures
O2 sensor
Fuel pump
Both brake lines rubbing through fuel shield and both need to be replaced
When axles were rebuilt 3 out of 4 seals were leaking.
Seat heaters have a short
Couple switches replaced due to bad lights
3 rear window tracks have failed
One Head was replaced but that wasn’t trucks fault - though it was due to failed manifold bolts
EBCM has failed circuit board now
Alternator although that’s more or less expected at the miles it failed even if it is frustrating
06+ mirrors were installed under original factory warranty
Front diff bushings
HVAC developed leak at pressure valve
AC frankly sucks above 90 degrees unless your moving highway speeds for 30+ minutes.
Multitude of water leaks - including body seam seal failure
Antenna rotted away, getting to the point the replacement is starting to look bad
Sunroof only vents now - no real fix to this.

I have stacks of warranty repair documents that are probably just as long with failures I didn’t list as ones I did.

Likewise if I actually started looking over the truck I could find several more things I did myself.

Right now I have an oil leak that the local 4X4 shop says has degraded the front differential bushings. They replaced the front yoke and u-joint that failed but say that they will not do it a second time because they think there is excessive movement that could have caused the failure. So have to get the oil leak fixed which I know is at least a valve cover gasket. Then plan to get Outfitter Design bushings installed. Also this afternoon I am going to replace the rear door lock actuator.

Iwillnc

Right now I have an oil leak that the local 4X4 shop says has degraded the front differential bushings. They replaced the front yoke and u-joint that failed but say that they will not do it a second time because they think there is excessive movement that could have caused the failure. So have to get the oil leak fixed which I know is at least a valve cover gasket. Then plan to get Outfitter Design bushings installed. Also this afternoon I am going to replace the rear door lock actuator.

That reminds me

I’ve also had my oil pan gasket replaced once
Currently have
leaking oil coolant lines
Leaking front main
Likely leaking oil pan gasket AGAIN

Front diff has never breathed right and I had to get my breather fitting cut and a custom oversized barb fitting made with larger hose and a filter to keep dirt out.

There was something else that I suddenly remembered when typing this and then re-forgot...

MilamJR

I replaced the rear door actuator and it works fine but the the window switch popped apart and the plungers fell out.
5de9547717079bef44454fbfe7bd9304.jpg

I was only able to find one of the two plungers. The switch has been discontinued but found a couple on eBay for around$75. Before I buy one I am going to see if a friend of mine that has a 3D printer can make me another plunger.
75c9d1c199f3f624f35385477c352257.jpg

If someone has an old switch that a plunger could be harvested from please let me know.

Iwillnc

I replaced the rear door actuator and it works fine but the the window switch popped apart and the plungers fell out.
5de9547717079bef44454fbfe7bd9304.jpg

I was only able to find one of the two plungers. The switch has been discontinued but found a couple on eBay for around$75. Before I buy one I am going to see if a friend of mine that has a 3D printer can make me another plunger.
75c9d1c199f3f624f35385477c352257.jpg

If someone has an old switch that a plunger could be harvested from please let me know.

That’s good to know they’re hard to come by, I’ve had this happen twice in the past year or two, once when repairing my window track on one of the rear doors and again on the sunroof switch when it decided to explode on me. Had to glue to sunroof switch back together. Fortunately the door switch reassembled after I found all the pieces.

MilamJR

That’s good to know they’re hard to come by, I’ve had this happen twice in the past year or two, once when repairing my window track on one of the rear doors and again on the sunroof switch when it decided to explode on me. Had to glue to sunroof switch back together. Fortunately the door switch reassembled after I found all the pieces.

If he can print the plunger I will probably get him to print a few extra just in case.

Zach

Mall Crawler
That reminds me

I’ve also had my oil pan gasket replaced once
Currently have
leaking oil coolant lines
Leaking front main
Likely leaking oil pan gasket AGAIN

Front diff has never breathed right and I had to get my breather fitting cut and a custom oversized barb fitting made with larger hose and a filter to keep dirt out.

There was something else that I suddenly remembered when typing this and then re-forgot...

There was a bulletin with the front diff leaking fluid or smoking. Had that happen. Fix was put a fuel filter in line and problem fixed

Iwillnc

There was a bulletin with the front diff leaking fluid or smoking. Had that happen. Fix was put a fuel filter in line and problem fixed

I did that fix many years back, didn’t help, the fuel filter started filling with diff fluid, it wasn’t until I had a custom larger vent plug installed that it started working correctly.

Zach

Mall Crawler
I did that fix many years back, didn’t help, the fuel filter started filling with diff fluid, it wasn’t until I had a custom larger vent plug installed that it started working correctly.

Ohhh okay. Did mine with that fix back in, I think 2008 and no problems since

Glad we are not alone - two transmissions, one steering gear box (and another on the way), an entire brake and ABS system, tires, a little this, a little that, and now we need whole new hitch assmbley. I swear a payment (and gas milage) on a new diesel tow vehicle for the camper would be the reasonable thing to do. But hubby's willingness to keep a high maintenance truck gives me hope as my check engine light flickers on.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Iwillnc

Well the truck has sat in the garage for the past 3-4 weeks as I’ve just been frustrated. I sent off ABS module to be rebuilt, and pulled off old valve assembly to have broken bolt extracted.

Didn’t work, rather than jerryrig my ABS system I bought a new valve block. To my surprise the ‘discontinued’ ABS module came with the valve block.

IMG_4171.jpg