• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

clunking noise in steering, but goes away when warm

apollo18

hey in my 2003 hummer h2, i noticed i have a random clunking noise in the steering. its hard to descrive where its coming from but i beleive its somewhere in the steering or front suspension area. i have new tie rods, new ball joints, new upper control arm so all that shoukd be fine. my steering is perfectly aligned.
i ntocied when i back out in the morning, it will kinda clunk when im turning. its not that loud or that bad of a noise cuz if it was super bad i would not drive or get it checked out. it only does it on certain maneuvers for example when backing out and turning. i try to be cautous when i steer lately cuz i dont wanna aggrevate the problem. i noticed it goes away when i have been driving for a couple mins.

the noise is like clunking. not a grind or nothing too harsh. in my driver seat it sounds like its coming from under my seat area/to the front area. it kinda sounds as if two gears are lije clunking against each other. idk its hard to explain the noise. it only makes the noise once when i back out in the miornin and then maybe once more when i take a right turn leaving the neighbourhood..

any input?

thx

Iwillnc

There’s really a whole multitude of things it could be, you best to just lift the front end off the ground and start checking ball joints (UCA, LCA, tie rods on both ends, idler, pitman), check front differential to see if it’s loose in cradle (have some shift drive to reverse while you watch the front diff), could be a bad steering box (unlikely), could be loose alignment bolts (easy to check), could be steering shaft is dry and causing a noise, could be wheel bearings. Could be brakes action pins not greased.
Obviously check your seat frame if it’s in the cab.

No way to pin it down other than lifting the front end, getting under the truck with a pry bar and your hands and start checking everything out.

(Almost) Everything is well documented once you find your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zach

Mall Crawler
I would check the lower steering shaft. They were notorious for clunking. GM redesigned it for the replacement part