• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

what readily available battery size fits our hummer h2?

apollo18

hey guys its time for a battery change and here in canada its harder to find the group 79 battery that comes stock so i wanted to ask if there is any larger battery that i can fit into the battery holder while being readily available so i can save a little on cost.
the ac delco 79pg is $270 here in canada and i wasnt happy with how long my old one lasted so i dont want to go with them again

thanks

Iwillnc

Batteries are all hit and miss, my stock one lasted 9 years, my second lasted I think 2, I’m probably 5-7 years on my current battery.

I believe both of my last two came from Napa, ironically the one that lasted two years had the best warranty, and when I went to claim warranty on it I found that that warranty was no longer being used. Figures.

My understanding is that most batteries use rebuilt cells, I would suggest buying the one with the best warranty. $270 is ridiculous, I think I’ve paid somewhere between $140-165 for mine.

apollo18

ahh darn yeah i think i will probably have to do that.
correct me if i am wrong but a larger battery will have a higher reserve capacity and higher cca right?

i was wondering what are the negatives of lets say running a group 78 side post with 800 cca? it seems like i can save $140 if i run a group 78.
regardless if the battery is side or top post, i can just rewire the battery cables and change them to top post no?
however i am open to running something larger too but it cant be near obselete like a group 79.

being in canada sucks
frown.gif

scoreh3

The plastic battery is designed for a smaller battery than the battery tray can handle. You can easily put a different size battery in if you just don’t use the plastic box.

Iwillnc

Without walking out to check I want to say all the batteries I’ve bought for the Hummer are 1000 cranking amps and can go down to 840 in the cold.

apollo18

ahh kk thanks! so basically as long as i can fit a battery in the box and has close enough cca i should be fine?
like what is the threshold? is it 10% meaning dont go less then 84 of 840 meaning 756 cca?

i obvs want to stay near the 840cca so i think with a quick search i am debating between a group 78 with about 800 cca which i believe is slightly smaller then the 79
or a group 65 if it will fit which would be slifhtly bigger then the group 79 but with 900 cca