• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Transmission took a *poop*!

Somethingbigandorange

Pop, clunk...no 3rd or 4th gear. Reverse first and second ok except some minor slip/vibration. :(

Would be nice if there was a decent swap. Oh well, 170k+ miles wasn’t too bad.
Hope everyone has a fun and safe holiday weekend.

EndeavoredH3

Wow that’s some timing. I’m at 175k and mine started randomly slipping between 2-3 and 3-4 with a horrible sound when accelerating.

Somethingbigandorange

Try changing the 2 solenoids and pressure switch before you drop 2k on a rebuild. Cheap and easy to do, it's worth a shot.
ACDelco 24230298

ACDelco 24215111
Normally I am the guy who would be all over that. We swapped some solenoids and saved my daughter's boyfriend a rebuild on his Vibe. I have a couple of things to consider here, though: I do tow with it occasionally (3800 lb travel trailer) and I do NOT want to be stuck somewhere if it craps again. I have a family owned shop I use and trust for rebuilds, both personal and our work vehicles. They do good work at an affordable price, and most important I can trust them. I am not the first owner and when I got it and took the transmission for service they said the fluid was burned even though there was no debris it did not look good. Not sure how it was treated pre-me. It is my daily driver so it needs to be fixed now. A GM 4L60 is a next day job for that shop.

Man, I don't know...$50-75 in parts is tempting...

amrg

When my trans crapped out the last time the trans wouldnt shift into 3rd/4th. It would flare up when trying to shift out of 2nd. When I checked the dip stick the oil although was new had burnt residue in it, and my obd2 was showing excessively high transmission temps simultaneously (above 200* while normally ite 160*)
Needed a rebuild to fix it

Reloader

Only reman 4L60 I would use is a GM reman from a Cheby dealer. Last one I bought was $1900 exchange and awesome warrany. Thats just for trans, not install. There are awesome quality rebuilders out there but $$$ more. And remember, with a $1200-1400 rebuild, you get what you pay for. Cheap paint too.

Somethingbigandorange

Only reman 4L60 I would use is a GM reman from a Cheby dealer. Last one I bought was $1900 exchange and awesome warrany. Thats just for trans, not install. There are awesome quality rebuilders out there but $$$ more. And remember, with a $1200-1400 rebuild, you get what you pay for. Cheap paint too.
i don’t trust any of the Chevy dealers near me. Guys I go to will do that 4L60 for 1800-2200 installed depending on how bad it is once torn down. Family run business that’s been around since the early ‘80s, they’re good people.

Still have my finger hovering over the “buy it now” button on Amazon, though...

Traxx

No point throwing parts at it with 170k on the clock. That is quite a bit more than the typical H3 4l60 life.