• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Interested in a RV trailer hauler. Is an H3 a good candidate?

beemerb0y

Probationary Member
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a RV trailer between 3-4k pounds and am considering a 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Sahara/Rubicon, or 2008 Hummer H3 Alpha.

Test drove both, and the H3 Alpha felt a bit small/cramped inside (both front and rear seating) compared to the Wrangler, even though dimensions on paper are very similar. We are a family of 4, and need 2 car seats in the rear.

At any rate, this Alpha had a front leveling kit (unsure of brand) and 285/75/16 tires. Seller claimed it has the "suspension package" or something like that, but it did not have the locking diff button on the center console. It has skid plates and s tow hitch (I believe factory hitch).

The Wrangler can only tow 3500 pounds, while I've read the H3 can tow 5000-6000 pounds (why the 2 different values?)

I read that leveling kits aren't needed, and the front shouldn't exceed 23.75" from fender well to hub center. I did not measure this during my test drive, but I can certainly go back and measure this.
My concern here is, while towing, the front would naturally come up as the rear squats, and I am assuming the front would exceed 23.75". Would this be detrimental? Most trips would be 400-800 mile round trip.

Is this 2008 H3 Alpha ideal for my purpose: to haul a 3-4k pound trailer?
Other than that, it would be used occasionally to switch off between some of my other cars. Maybe will get into some beginners off-roading.
Down the line, would like to upgrade the wheels and suspension for a more lifted bad ass look. Is it any more difficult/different raising an H3 vs. a Wrangler?

Thanks for all the help.

Traxx

Can it tow it, sure. Would it be an ideal setup? Not really and adding bigger wheels and tires would just make it worse.

For frequent 4-800 miles trips with a 4k# trailer I would want something that would tow that effortlessly with better creature comforts.

JPaul

The reason for the difference between the Wrangler and the H3 is due to wheelbase, as well as engine size. The longer wheelbase provides a more stable tow vehicle so it can handle pulling heavier loads since it's much harder for the weight of the trailer tongue to lift the front of the vehicle. If the front of the vehicle lifts too much you'll lose the ability to steer effectively and can lose control quite easily. This is why most of the time even with full size trucks in order to handle a heavier load you have to go to a gooseneck or 5th wheel since it puts the weight of the tongue directly over or slightly ahead of the rear axle, eliminating the issue of the front steer axle lifting.

The V8 is great but even with my M101A2 trailer empty and a truck topper on it I can feel a noticeable difference the moment I get moving, and I have 4.56 gears instead of the stock 4.10 gears the Alpha comes with. It handles it fine, even with a load, but I don't think I'd want to pull anything bigger than that with it all the time, especially if you're dealing with larger hills. A popup camper is fine, and I'm sure smaller campers as well, but you should never really try towing to the max of a vehicle regularly in my opinion. Just because it can pull that much doesn't mean you should. That being said I know that Hunner i think pulls a boat and camper with his fairly regularly. Not sure how much those weigh in at though.

With regards to load handling, you shouldn't get too much squat with a properly setup trailer, but you can get airbags from AirRide to help with leveling. I replaced my old, worn OEM springs with some Old Man Emu springs and I haven't even bothered installing the airbags yet since they have extra arch in them to start with. Once I start pulling the trailer more often though I probably will put the airbags in, but now I am actually looking more to just getting a good fullsize truck for hauling with since I have a larger property and need to be able to haul more and larger items. Next on the list is a 4x4x8 bale of straw for mulching the garden. Once I finish paying off my H3 in a few more years I'll likely pick up a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

beemerb0y

Probationary Member
Thanks for all the info. Maybe will move right along to a pickup.
Still a bit shocked that a rugged vehicle such as a Hummer, with a V8, with a towing capacity of 6k pounds, is viewed poorly in the tow sector.
Such a shame

MilamJR

Thanks for all the info. Maybe will move right along to a pickup.
Still a bit shocked that a rugged vehicle such as a Hummer, with a V8, with a towing capacity of 6k pounds, is viewed poorly in the tow sector.
Such a shame

H2 would pull a trailer much better than the Jeep or H3 in my opinion. I have a 20ft enclosed car trailer and it pulls it fine but nothing like my F250 diesel that doesn’t even know it’s back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeepwalker

The H3 is kind of a high-cost vehicle to own. A number of weak areas esp front suspension. Nothing that can't be re-done. Very little aftermarket. Not sure how long GM will still have parts. Insurance is fairly high on mine compared to other vehicles. I love mine, she's a keeper ...but that's how I see it. I can re-do just about anything on mine (and I have too -- ha ha)

If you're occasional towing, sure it'll work fine. A grand cherokee Overland with a V8 would be cheaper and maybe a better choice.

Last edited: