• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Truck has had axles rebuilt, regeared to 4.56, and had outfitter bushings installed.

Iwillnc

My truck is fresh off having 4.56 gearing installed from ECGS, it drives like a dream. Effortless acceleration with my 37”s (essentially 36”s) smooth shifts, and power without downshifting. I have to say I’m in love all over again. Of course I’m still in break in phase so I’m being gentle on the throttle - none the less it pulls without much encouragement. There is a little bit of gear noise, almost sounds like mud terrains, hopefully that goes away with break in.

The first question half of you will ask is “Why not 4.88s”, well simple. First I never plan to go over 37s, the extra half inch of clearance with 38s isn’t worth the cost difference for my purposes, and I dislike how our trucks look with the lift kits when you go over 38s. Secondly, I drive a lot of highway 80-85 MPH, I didn’t want my truck running 2600-2800 RPM for hours at a time. Third the fuel economy increase is very nice.
Take it with a grain of salt because I was driving gently, but I was also in heavy stop and go traffic, but my average fuel economy returning home was 3MPG higher than normal. Again ‘Heavy Stop and Go’ but also ‘Driving Gently’. I’m not going to make a final say on that front just yet but preliminary results are promising. The few long stretches of road I did have were averaging 15–17MPG. Averaging for a DIC total of 13.5MPG on the whole trip, including stopping for 20 minutes.

Outfitter bushing kit: the installer was reasonably apprehensive about installing the bushings, or more over removing the old bushings. Fortunately he did go ahead and get them changed out for me. The difference is noticeable, the entire truck feels more solid, clunks that I had gotten used to are gone and it’s actually throwing me off not hearing them.

I’m excited to get more time behind the wheel once the monsoon ends.

I am very happy, upcoming changes will be a redhead steering box, a couple small front end items, and a tune.

MilamJR

When I installed the Rubber Duck UCP I noticed that the large middle bushing looked a little worn. Just checked Outfitters website and they are sold out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iwillnc

Milam, email Outfitter design, when I tried to buy mine it said they were sold out. Will emailed me back promptly and stated that they would have new ones in stock shortly, once they got the bushings in stock he let me know and I went ahead and ordered. They seem to go through them at a pretty good rate if they are already sold out already - as I bought my set about a month ago.

MilamJR

Milam, email Outfitter design, when I tried to buy mine it said they were sold out. Will emailed me back promptly and stated that they would have new ones in stock shortly, once they got the bushings in stock he let me know and I went ahead and ordered. They seem to go through them at a pretty good rate if they are already sold out already - as I bought my set about a month ago.

Thanks for the information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonkaTank93

Hey tonka what type of mpg do u get currently? and also what gear ratio will u upgrade to with the 40s?i also have same size.
I get the regular 9-10mpg. Before the 40's was getting 11 [emoji2369].

As for gears, might be going with 5.13 or 5.38.

The only issue with possibly going to 5.38 is that I'm going to be swapping the little 4l60e for a more reasonable 4l80e so my final drive ratio will be different. The 4L80e favors a mid-rpm cruising range to keep the truck in the power band so I think I could go for a more reasonable 5.13 after the swap.

A very seasoned and knowledgeable member of this community by the name of BIG2DABANK posted the following gear ratio calculations a few years ago which I've refrenced a few times.

For stock tires and gears
(4.10 x 60 mph x 336)/ 33.6" = 2460 rpm 3rd gear
2460 x 0.696 (overdrive) = 1712 rpm

For 37 and 4.56
(4.56 x 60 mph x 336)/ 37" = 2485 rpm 3rd gear
2485 x 0.696 (overdrive) = 1729 rpm

For 38 and 4.885
(4.88 x 60 mph x 336)/ 38" = 2589 rpm 3rd gear.
2589 X 0.696 (overdrive) = 1802 rpm

For 40 and 4.885 (I personally think this will feel bit sluggish because of the added weight of the 40s)
(4.88 x 60 mph x 336)/ 40" = 2460 rpm 3rd gear
2460 X 0.696 (overdrive) = 1712 rpm

For 40 with 5.135
(5.13 x 60 mph x 336)/ 40" = 2586 rpm 3rd gear.
2586 x 0.696 (overdrive) = 1800 rpm"

For 40 with 5.385
(5.38 x 60 mph x 336)/ 40" = 2711 rpm 3rd gear.
2711 x 0.696 (overdrive) = 1887 rpm

Iwillnc

If I had 40s I think I would go straight to 5.13s, the added weight of the tires, the lift kit weight and increased drag from being lifted would all add up.

Iwillnc

A couple things with this chart....

For stock tires and gears
(4.10 x 60 mph x 336)/ 33.6" = 2460 rpm 3rd gear
2460 x 0.696 (overdrive) = 1712 rpm

For 37 and 4.56
(4.56 x 60 mph x 336)/ 37" = 2485 rpm 3rd gear
2485 x 0.696 (overdrive) = 1729 rpm

For 38 and 4.885
(4.88 x 60 mph x 336)/ 38" = 2589 rpm 3rd gear.
2589 X 0.696 (overdrive) = 1802 rpm

For 40 and 4.885 (I personally think this will feel bit sluggish because of the added weight of the 40s)
(4.88 x 60 mph x 336)/ 40" = 2460 rpm 3rd gear
2460 X 0.696 (overdrive) = 1712 rpm

For 40 with 5.135
(5.13 x 60 mph x 336)/ 40" = 2586 rpm 3rd gear.
2586 x 0.696 (overdrive) = 1800 rpm"

For 40 with 5.385
(5.38 x 60 mph x 336)/ 40" = 2711 rpm 3rd gear.
2711 x 0.696 (overdrive) = 1887 rpm

First of all 33.6 tires mounted on the truck is more like 32.5, that technically doesn’t make a difference in this case since a mounted 36.5 inch tire is 35.5 with truck weight, so we can ignore that. But my point here is that the listed RPM is a relative measurement not what’s actually happening.

What we can’t ignore is that a 37 inch tire is not 37 inches tall in almost all cases.

To that point my 37x12.5x17 KO2 measures 35.6 inches unmounted and about 34.8 inches with truck weight. So...

(4.56 x 336 x 60)/35.6 = 2,582rpm in 3rd

** This is essentially the same as TRUE 40s with 5.13s and TRUE 38s with 4.88s.

Likewise a normal 37x12.5x17 will be 36.5 inches

(4.56 x 336 x 60)/36.5 = 2,518

Which still puts 37s about 60RPM over stock which essentially cancels out all the added weight and gives a slight advantage.

In my case specifically.

Last edited:

Iwillnc

I strongly recommend regearing for everyone running larger than factory size tires. I can’t imagine 40s with 4.10s

With my 36s and 4.10s the truck was an absolute slug it felt like I was towing bricks and had to shift if the wind changed. I actually started to drive in 3rd in some situations. Again, I can’t imagine driving true 37s or even bigger on 4.10s that gearing is awful, 4.56 should have been standard.

Regearing is a whole new world that will make tons of difference - I strongly recommend that everyone take that leap if they plan on keeping their trucks for the long term.

The difference is huge.

Bmonts h3

Whats the cost to regear?and mine feels like its still got good power. Makes me excited to know i can get mote giddyy up

Iwillnc

All in for front and rear gear sets, front and rear bearing/seal kits, new rear axle outer wheel bearings and seals, and labor I came up to $2500, he also installed my outfitter bushings with no additional cost over the original estimate which was a big deal to me.
I also have iirc a 5 year warranty on parts and labor and I had it done by what most people consider the best gear shop bar none, when you start looking on off-road forums their name is always first.

It was a little more than I had hoped but frankly the company has the best reputation for supplying and installing gears of anyone in the country. So I felt comfortable paying the amount I did.

Not to mention a smaller off-road upfitter shop near me Had a $5,000 estimate which was a quick hell naw.

I had 3 out of 4 axle seals leaking so I had to have axle work regardless to check bearings and replace seals.

Last edited:

Iwillnc

What power mods do you have? Frankly I’m surprised you say you have good power. Mine couldn’t roll down the interstate at 75 without shifting on every little hill with 4.10s.

Bmonts h3

Thats not to bad ill add a regear to the list. I did buy the truck used with 37s but i doubt they reageared it since they didnt go up much from 35s but not for sure.and all i have is a cai thinking about doing an exhaut this weekend .

Iwillnc

No programmer?

Man my truck must have been tired, I think the next big big thing I do will be long tube headers and full exhaust but with the factory exhaust tip. That and a tune should give me a big boost, if that’s not enough then I’ll cam it. By that point I should be able to lunch another transmission.

I’m telling you unless I was on flat roads with no winds going no greater than 65 mph my truck just didn’t want to go without shifting to third. Absolute dog on the highway. I’m the type of person that will put on cruise control to go 2 miles, but I haven’t used cruise on my truck in years due to the constant shifting.

Bmonts h3

Nope no programmer id like to do one but i see so many mixed reviews. And i want to get some nice exhaut tips but i dont want it to hinder me offroad.how many miles does your h2 have?

Iwillnc

Ahh yes, your not doing that much driving. I have 2 other cars including an SS sedan, and then a motorcycle on top of those. I still find myself reaching for the H2 keys.

Iwillnc

I just drove the truck around to get lunch. I can’t put into words how much better everything is. Frankly it’s like an entirely new drivetrain, shifts are 10x better, acceleration is 10x better, feel is 10x better. I mean I am supremely happy.

Furthermore I have to give another hand to outfitter design, I took a route I am very used to which includes rough and steeply sloped railroad crossing. This was the first time my truck has taken this drop without the entire truck shaking and clunking about. I mean there was no noise, no shake.
I crossed the track like you would in a brand new Lexus LS.

I cannot give enough props to ECGS for their work and I have to say this is a game changer, my 2003 trucks drivetrain feels like it belongs in this decade.

Now I just need to suck it up and drop the $600 for the redhead box, it’s killing me knowing how much it costs, the core charge is crazy - it’s going to be a long wait til that gets back into my account. I have my rock auto cart filled with some goodies and the redhead site open with the steer box ready to buy.
But I got some heartache over spending that much more.