• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Truck has had axles rebuilt, regeared to 4.56, and had outfitter bushings installed.

MilamJR

I just drove the truck around to get lunch. I can’t put into words how much better everything is. Frankly it’s like an entirely new drivetrain, shifts are 10x better, acceleration is 10x better, feel is 10x better. I mean I am supremely happy.

Furthermore I have to give another hand to outfitter design, I took a route I am very used to which includes rough and steeply sloped railroad crossing. This was the first time my truck has taken this drop without the entire truck shaking and clunking about. I mean there was no noise, no shake.
I crossed the track like you would in a brand new Lexus LS.

I cannot give enough props to ECGS for their work and I have to say this is a game changer, my 2003 trucks drivetrain feels like it belongs in this decade.

Now I just need to suck it up and drop the $600 for the redhead box, it’s killing me knowing how much it costs, the core charge is crazy - it’s going to be a long wait til that gets back into my account. I have my rock auto cart filled with some goodies and the redhead site open with the steer box ready to buy.
But I got some heartache over spending that much more.

Glad to hear that it turned out so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amrg

Reading this Now im interested in swapping to 4.56 gearing! Glad to see you're happy with the new setup!

Iwillnc

Do it, if your running 35s on your truck with all that added weight from your mods you should feel a nice difference on your 3.

My buddy has a 06 with 295s and they are truly too much for his truck and that 3.5L. Yourself having the 5.3L would definitely see real world gains from going to 4.56.

I passed a car on a two lane road yesterday without downshifting - I completely passed a car in 4th!!! gear. My truck could barely stay in 4th before.

amrg

I actually upped to 37" KM3s last year, and my 4th gear rpm are too low at 70 mph (1950). With the cam Im running im waaay out of the power band!

Iwillnc

Well then it’s a perfect time for me to make an update, with my 35.6 in tires @ 80MPH per Waze GPS (my speedometer is now 6-7MPH off when at 80) my engine is turning 2,475 RPM

And iirc at 60 (per GPS) I’m a hair under 2k RPM.

I am very happy with that RPM and I think it will be fine once I get to a truer 37” (36.5). I’m glad I didn’t go with 4.88s at this time because it’s psychologically a lot of RPM to be turning on an engine this size. I mean honestly it doesn’t care but my brain says “woah”.

I did downshift once at 76MPH at a steeper incline, but maintained 12.2 MPG at 78 MPH which is good with me.

It’s past due for me to get an air filter and I’m probably only 15-20k miles from another set of plugs and wires. I would like to eventually get around 300HP and 350lb-ft to the ground - but I’m going to leave that for another time - I’m very happy with my improvements so far.

Iwillnc

1,600 mile update tomorrow when I’m not exhausted, plus a shiny new box sitting at my door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk