• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Anybody using these EBAY headlights?

Happy Hummer

Is there something wrong with your OEM ones?
I've got a older set of OEM sitting here in my office. They are still fully functional but old. So, they are yours if you want them. PM me.

Alpha X

What's wrong with old headlights? Are they broken? If they are hazy, get some PlastX and polish out the scratches. Get a new bulb.

Happy Hummer

That's cool. My new ones were purchased on eBay to. I'd give the vendor 5stars but the lights maybe 3 1/2 stars. They cast a strange pattern. But at less than $ 200 not so bad.

Jeepwalker

I just wanted to re-new this thread, find out if more forum members can remark about aftermarket headlights. Anybody use CAPA (cerrified) lights? CAPA (Certified Auto Parts Association) ..autobody replacement parts means they've been certified pretty darn close to the OEM and suitable for bodyshop insurance crash replacement. Experience tells me such parts usually fit well. Sometimes they look and fit great, sometimes less so, but generally the quality is better than the lower priced aftermarket stuff. But of course not 'quite' up to OEM ..but pretty darn close. I've used CAPA certified headlights on other vehicles in the past, some with great results, some so-so.

I'm leaning towards buying a new set from GM, which I will probably do. Problem with my existing headlights is the plastic has a bunch of cracks in them (have for a couple years now) ...and they're the kind of cracks that go all the way through the plastic. Plus, they're a little hazy and yellow-ish ...and the fact they don't 'cast' well (and I live in a rural area with a lot of deer so I want good lighting). It's time for new lights.

Last edited:

amrg

Why not upgrade to LED lighting and use Lased design bracket to instal them?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Jeepwalker

Honestly, I haven't had time to really investigate LED's. What little I looked into seemed like it was going to cost more than a few hundred bucks (or am I off-base there?). Please enlighten me on the good/bad ..besides looks 'cool'. What percentage is the improvement? I wouldn't mind getting their adapters and buying 7" round glass 'Ag-rated' lights (a little brighter). A guy can buy replacements cheap ...I think they're like $25 a piece ..and get replacements at about any farm & barn. Not sure.

Tell me more about your LED conversion and how it's working? The "how-to" part I've already seen. I'd like to hear the real-world benefits.

Thanks

Last edited:

amrg

Well using the adapters, you should be able to use any 7" round LED headlights that can bolt to jeep wrangler, giving you lots of options. There is a showdown review of 7" LEDs on youtube which will compare most popular designs and let you know the ups/downs of each.
As for LED headlights themselves, they are superior to halogen in terms of light ouput and most of the options out there have a really good light pattern (most). Its definitly superior to LED/HID retrorit to the stock housing.
The price range is around 80-100 for the pair. I recall seeing on fb one member getting away with am LED headlight without using an adapter due to the bolts on the LED headlight having the same pattern as the ones on the H3 headlights.

Jeepwalker

Thanks. I'll dig into it some more. I haven't ordered new light assemblies yet. I wonder if the headlights on these H3's were every that good from the factory (crappy design??).

Hopefully there are some sights which illustrate REAL on-road performance between lights, and how far down the road a person can see. The "Usable" light ...which is what really matters.

Thanks

Last edited:

Traxx

If your going to buy headlights then buy good ones. Cheap lights just cast light/glare all over the place and seldom where it belongs.

I would be curious to see a longer term test of the Lased adapters. My experience with 3d printed parts to date has been so-so.

amrg

The H3 oem light pattern is poor at best, esp when compared to other oems. Add to that its an outdated tech, superceeded by HID and now LED. For short distances they do well but thats it!
I watched this review before and those guys have the best info out there

https://youtu.be/peFLmu2MfTg

Iwillnc

I have to take a moment to laugh at the H3 lightening being called bad. I give you the H2 lighting for comparison - horrendous. Getting into my buddies stock 06 H3 at night is a revelation in visibility.

Granted it’s easier to replace the H2 lighting so...

Win some you lose some, the 4’x3’ section that is illuminated right of center in front of my H2 is horrible.

zebra

a slightly-less-optimal but still viable solution for better light if still using stock housings is a set of BeamTech LED replacements (the ones with the solid heat sinks, not the fans).
iu

they have the same focal point as regular halogens, so the beam pattern is the same as stock - not glaring everywhere, just a lot brighter.
i swapped my wife's headlights, fogs, and lower offroads with them last fall, and they've been great.

just food for thought, since i ain't seen nobody mention those around here before.