• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

6.2 swap

jakesz28

Well it is officially time to find an engine. Just ordered the LH8 exhaust manifolds, oil pan, pick up and both AC compressor lines. Working on ordering a wiring harness with ecm, tcm, mounting bracket.

Does anyone know if an offroad Y pipe is available? Not buying a set of factory catalytic converters.

Need to look at what other people have done for engine mounts and I need to order the parts for the transmission or just pull it and take it to the shop that rebuilt it last.

The H3 is still running good just tired of the I5 horsepower. Since we have other vehicles I always drive something else and this sits too much. The tires on it are 7 or 8 years old. Thats kinda proof that we just don't drive this much. Should be so much funner to drive once it gets some horsepower.

amrg

Good luck... as for the trans, you need a torque converter/input shaft and possibly other parts (check humvee's build) to make it work.
It would be cheaper to get a new trans instead and sell your current one (if it still works)

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
You will love the V8. I felt the jump from the 5.3 to the 6.2 was almost as noticeable as the jump from the 3.5 to the 5.3

jakesz28

You will love the V8. I felt the jump from the 5.3 to the 6.2 was almost as noticeable as the jump from the 3.5 to the 5.3

Yeah, I can't wait to get some power under the hood. I never noticed it much 8 years ago. But my truck makes over 500hp and 1000tq. So now when I get in the hummer it just feels like it crawls on all the hills. Even the ZR2 on 35's feels impressive over the H3.

Need to see what I find looking for a L92 or L9H.

jakesz28

Chris, what did you use for fuel lines? Did you have to replace the whole line or just a section under the hood? I need to pull the H3 in the shop and start looking at it to see what else I may need to order.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Chris, what did you use for fuel lines? Did you have to replace the whole line or just a section under the hood? I need to pull the H3 in the shop and start looking at it to see what else I may need to order.

I took the OE steel lines, then cut it near the transmission, flared it, then ran 3/8 fuel injection hose to the top of of the bell housing and flared the steel portion of factory V8 fuel line left on the motor.

It still has that odd GM fuel rail braided connector they use from the factory at the fuel rail. So it’s basically factory minus that 1 section

fanugy

You can buy a totaled GTO and pick up an LS2 (or an LS1, depends on year) or find a Chevy SS totaled from 14-17 and yank the LS3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amrg

How about going electric? I just saw a video of a guy swapping a tesla motor and batteries into a ford F450. His first test driven mentions how awfully quiet his ride is compared to his old 7.3! He had thw motor mated to the transfer case so he still has 4x4 and low range

RamRod

How about going electric? I just saw a video of a guy swapping a tesla motor and batteries into a ford F450. His first test driven mentions how awfully quiet his ride is compared to his old 7.3! He had thw motor mated to the transfer case so he still has 4x4 and low range

The main issue with doing electric conversions right now is the battery costs. Once these become more affordable it will make the swap more common, but for now you can buy 2-3 LS motors for the price of the batteries that will get you more than 100 miles of range

amrg

How about buying totalled teslas and salvaging the batteries (as they do with the motors)

RamRod

How about buying totalled teslas and salvaging the batteries (as they do with the motors)
You can 100% do that and save some money, but since Tesla batteries are heated/cooled they are more complex than using batteries from other electric cars.

The cheapest way to go electric right now is to build your own battery packs from used laptop battteries, but it is alot of work as you need to take the old pack apart, test and sort each cell then build the battery pack. But in the end it is about 75% cheaper but takes a lot of hours to build!

jakesz28

Just got my manifolds, oil pan, and AC lines. Did not realize the oil pick up came with the oil pan. So I have an extra oil pick up.

Found a 6.0L with iron block for a decent price. Only 20,000 miles. I would like to get this if it is still available when I get back home.

On a positive note. Leaving tomorrow for a 2 week job. This is my first job since February. So that will be nice to get a paycheck.

amrg

Planning on boost? Do you still have stock suspension? That iron block is heavy for the H3 front suspension. Just doing the V8 alone impacts the handling with the torsion bars an iron block adds more weight!

jakesz28

Right now its stock. But a SAS is likely in my future. Especially after the front end gets destroyed. I want a front locker and I know what that will lead to.
I purchased a set of frame reinforcement plates from CJ last year. Also have a HP dana 60 behind the shop.

mjferencak

If that 6.0 disappears, start looking for a L92. Tons of power and torque and readily available. I’ll be doing the swap soon also. This 3.5 (260,000 miles) doesn’t cut it here in Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amrg

Have you upgraded the torsion bars? I know on my 06 the entire front end and rear end is no longer able to support the weight as it used to be. The same happened with the rear on my 09. The springs no longer hold as much as before

atvspeed4

Stock springs we did adjust torsion bars back up though. Rear springs should have no noticable change from motor swap sounds like you have worn torsion bars and leaf packs. If you do alot of high speed offroading it will do that. We have iron block, ARB bumper, 12k winch with steel line and dana 44 Custom IFS diff along with really heavy rock sliders so we are not a light setup lol

jakesz28

Jamie told me he had the wiring harness done. So should be getting all that stuff soon. Engine harness, ecm, tcm, electric fan relay, ecm/tcm bracket, the correct stock tunes for an 08.

Get home in 2 weeks then I will be looking for an engine. May see if I can find one in NC, before I head home.