• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Did overland build on ‘08 H3 in 2017

RedmondH3

New member here. We did the build in 2017 when we bought this and did quite a bit of overlanding in ‘17 and ‘18 mostly in eastern Oregon, WA (the WABDR), Death Valley and such.
Here’s what we did to it originally:
This hasn’t been out daily driver and has only been used for our eastern Oregon, Washington (did the southern half of the WABDR) and northern Nevada overlanding trips.
We set it up for flat towing behind an RV with Blue Ox tow mounts
It has the 3.7 liter inline 5 with automatic transmission. We retained the stock alloy 16" wheels (not chrome!) for airing down, with new Cooper Discovery AT 33" tires.
Here's a list of what it has:
-ARB bumper
-Blue Ox towing brackets mounted to where the OEM tow shackles are located. We have two shackles that can attach to the rings on the Blue Ox mounts for recovery
-Warn 8000k winch
-9" high intensity LED dual spots lights on ARB bumper
-LED backup light
-N-Fab rock sliders
-it has a 30 watt Zamp solar panel mounted to the hood where the original plastic fake vent was and was replaced by diamond plate cut to the same pattern to mount the panel. This has a solar controller that leads to the new (last year) AGM battery under the hood. We did this to keep this battery topped while running our frig while parked and away from the vehicle whil hiking or whatever while the frig is running.
-300 watt inverter mounted in back
-custom built all metal rear fold down tailgate table with molle mount holes with small shovel and ax mounted with Quick Fists
-OEM Pioneer Bluetooth sound system with GPS (to be replaced with a radio delete plate and a Garmin Overlander GPS
-all interior lights switched to LED to conserve power
-Weathertech floor matts
-Coverking canvas seat covers
-Midland CB radio with Firestik antenna mounted to bumper
-Kenwood 2 meter ham radio (yes I’m licensed KI7AKW)

-custom rear rack mounted on spare tire (Outfitter Designs which I’m selling)
-Rhino roof rack bars which will hold the Pioneer Tray as we’ve sold the CVT RTT
-RAINGLER webbing barrier installed behind front seats
-AGM battery
Tepui awning
5 gal NATOgas can
5 gal Front Runner water jerry can
2 gal Rotopax water
2 gal Rotopax gas

5 lb propane tank
Front Runner wolf boxes for food and recovery gear
2 Front Runner chairs
Ram mounts for iPad and iPhone and Garmin inreach
Scanguage
Hilift jack on bull bar
Alpicool 45qt frig
MrHeater Buddy
Treds recovery boards
Mr Heater outdoor radiant heater

After figuring out the total weight we were carrying when on our trips we decided to sell the RTT and go to an overlanding trailer. We bought a used 2018 Crux 1600 in like new condition and have been using it this winter in AZ. It’s a whole other level of comfort actually.
The pics show it before we moved to using a trailer.

Attachments

• C98DF976-470F-4496-B60A-8E2201627F57.jpeg
    C98DF976-470F-4496-B60A-8E2201627F57.jpeg
    353.2 KB · Views: 176
  • EDA75723-ADEE-498A-90DF-AC181CBFED7F.jpeg
    EDA75723-ADEE-498A-90DF-AC181CBFED7F.jpeg
    926.4 KB · Views: 164

MilamJR

Welcome. Nice build. I tow my H2 behind my RV. I remove the towing hardware and use soft shackles with the two pins. I don’t want to risk damaging my towing hardware.
49d2611ad37ebb7b1e5d8daca56204ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MilamJR

In the picture it looks like your D rings were still on the front. I have worried about changing my bumper due to the possibly of interfering with my towing hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedmondH3

We currently have the Blue Ox tow hooks on but since we probably won’t be towing this with our motor home soon I plan on replacing em with the tow points.

Alpha X

That's a cool build. Is there more build info to be found anywhere else, like an overloading site? If not, maybe create a thread in the build section here.

RedmondH3

We just got back home from being away over the winter and are playing catch up but I will post more on our setup and trips we’ve done soon. Thanks for the interest. We love our H3! Soooooo under rated for and overland rig.