• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Has anyone solved the I-5 'near-stall' issue?

Jeepwalker

Just curious if there was a known set of problems which cause the I-5 engines to stall, or near-stall at stop signs?

Mine doesn't quite stall at stop signs, but the engine drops speed and chugs for a second, then recovers. It's done it since I've owned it.

Yesterday I was looking at the scanner and noticed when I rev the engine up and it revs down, the Throttle voltage dips way down below the normal idle voltage the split second before the near-stall, then the voltage recovers to normal a split second before the engine recovers to normal idle. I didn't write down the voltage readings, but I'd say it was 25% lower voltage than normal prior to recovery.

Just curious if anyone else had noticed this? I'm wondering if replacing the Accelerator Pedal sensor, or the motorized Throttle Actuator has been shown to resolve the near-stall issue (???).

I doubt it's the cat as my vacuum is perfect (a bad cat can cause low vacuum). I haven't yet measured the exhaust pressures. However I was seeing a definite correlation between Throttle voltage drop (below normal) and near stall.

What are your thoughts and experience on this?

Thanks

Last edited:

lowtrac

I have the same issue. No resolution though. I’ve cleaned the throttle body and left the battery disconnected while I changed the alternator. No change in the idle drop, but disconnecting the battery did seem to help the engine shake/vibration while idling in gear. Not sure why, unless it’s got something to do with relearning fuel trims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The only time I had that issue was when my cylinder head was failing. Not saying that's the issue you are seeing, but I've never had an issue like you described except ahead of the head replacement.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Jeepwalker

What was the issue of the head? I mean the root issue? Were you experiencing low compression or something else?

Thanks

08H3

Sometimes if I forget to press the clutch I have that problem. :)

In all seriousness, I have never had that issue with the H3, but I did have the identical issue in my Silverado (2003 4.8L). Never really did figure out if it was truly the cause, but my battery was failing. Once I replaced the battery, the issue went away. Really don't really know if that was the cause or not but with the funky things that happen on an H3 when the factory battery terminals fail, I'd say it's worth investigating. Good luck!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
What was the issue of the head? I mean the root issue? Were you experiencing low compression or something else?

Thanks
Low compression, if I recall correctly. Dealer diagnosed and repaired under warranty

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Traxx

New plugs and a through cleaning of the throttle body and maf took care of it for me.

deserth3

Just to point this out. There are electronics in the throttle body. Look for troubleshooting procedures for the TB itself.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Jeepwalker

New plugs and a through cleaning of the throttle body and maf took care of it for me.

You know ...that's been on my list to check again, but I haven't gotten around to it. Not that we're 'sheltering at home' I have the time. Thanks for the reminder.