• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H2 Hummer radiator replacement

MilamJR

The radiator for my 04 H2 has developed a crack and is leaking. I know for the H3 they seem to consume radiators and the factory ones are worth the price difference. But for the H2 are there brands to buy or stay away from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Can't speak directly to H2 options, but how long did this one last? If it worked well, why change?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Zach

Mall Crawler
The H2’s don’t have the same issues as the H3’s. I would stick with OEM. They have come way down in price, years ago about $1k retail. Now, maybe $300ish. Put one in mine years ago and no issues

MilamJR

Thanks for the information. The OEM radiator is $325 and the alternative is $190 at O’REILLY or even less on eBay.

Iwillnc

I put an OEM one in my truck a little over a year ago, I don’t remember it being over $300 but I figured if the original lasted 165k miles that I would stick with OEM.

Honestly replacing it was a bigger PIA than I thought it would be.

MilamJR

I put an OEM one in my truck a little over a year ago, I don’t remember it being over $300 but I figured if the original lasted 165k miles that I would stick with OEM.

Honestly replacing it was a bigger PIA than I thought it would be.

Ended up going with the one O’REILLY sells because I wanted to put it in this weekend and they could not get AC Delco until next week. Also it has a lifetime warranty. What problems did you run into? Going to replace all the hoses and fan belt while I am at it.

Iwillnc

It was just a PIA getting it out and the new one in, compounded by the front hinged hood making handling the radiator by myself a chore.
You’ll have to figure out where you’re going to be standing in the engine bay, make sure you’re on something secure.

I made sure I replaced my lower radiator hose while I was in there because I didn’t want to go back down there anytime soon.

Impossible? of course not, but even for my experienced hands and relative young age, it was definitely more than I expected. The biggest issue I remember, as I said, is getting the old one out and the new one in without damaging any fins while maneuvering the piece by myself. I also have an aftermarket trans cooler that never goes through the radiator - not having those lines running up to the rad probably helped me by not being in the way.

Not that I would have done anything different - but it took longer to do it than I expected.

Last edited:

MilamJR

It was just a PIA getting it out and the new one in, compounded by the front hinged hood making handling the radiator by myself a chore.
You’ll have to figure out where you’re going to be standing in the engine bay, make sure you’re on something secure.

I made sure I replaced my lower radiator hose while I was in there because I didn’t want to go back down there anytime soon.

Impossible? of course not, but even for my experienced hands and relative young age, it was definitely more than I expected. The biggest issue I remember, as I said, is getting the old one out and the new one in without damaging any fins while maneuvering the piece by myself. I also have an aftermarket trans cooler that never goes through the radiator - not having those lines running up to the rad probably helped me by not being in the way.

Not that I would have done anything different - but it took longer to do it than I expected.

Thanks for the information. Hopefully I can get a little help out of my teenage son while getting the new one in place.

MilamJR

Worst part of replacing the radiator was getting those retention clips back on the transmission lines.

Iwillnc

Worst part of replacing the radiator was getting those retention clips back on the transmission lines.

This x100

I forgot about those clips, I think I accidently rode around with one not fully engaged for a month before I noticed my error and corrected.

Last edited:

xman1564

The radiator for my 04 H2 has developed a crack and is leaking. I know for the H3 they seem to consume radiators and the factory ones are worth the price difference. But for the H2 are there brands to buy or stay away from?

i bought one on amazon a year ago and still going strong👍 like 130 bucks and only took 30 min to change do yourself a favor and flush system entirely and replace the crappy dexcool with regular green atfz👍