• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

External transmission cooler mounting.

rascole

I am adding a external transmission cooler, LPD 4590. Has anyone had any issues using the plastic zip tie mounting? I am pressed for time to get this up and running before Moab and will not have time to make custom mounting brackets. Working a 13/1 schedule kills my repair time.

JPaul

You'll possibly be OK, but since you're going through both the AC condenser and the radiator I wouldn't particularly recommend it. I'd suggest just using the straps they provide for mounting like I did. Still is pretty quick and it's actually held up well enough that I haven't needed to adjust or replace them yet.

2PelG6i.jpg

I used all existing holes since I prefer to not drill the body if I can help it.

For the bottom right there is an existing hole that I put a bolt through, I fastened the bolt on first with a nut and lock washer and then slipped the bracket over it and added another nut so that I could remove it without trying to get back there each time.

03xN5i7.jpg

More detail in my build thread: https://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/fo...-s-Alpha-build?p=222180&viewfull=1#post222180

Be super careful to keep the hoses away from the AC condenser. I didn't the first time and ended up with one of them rubbing through a tube in the condenser while I was in Moab. That really sucked to not have AC down there. It doesn't take much to wear it thin enough to blow since it's relatively high pressure in those tubes.

JPaul

That'd probably be OK then, I think there is enough clearance between the condenser and the radiator for the back clips. Just be sure to use the foam pads between the cooler and the condenser to keep it from rubbing through. The fins between the condenser tubes should also keep the zips off the tubes enough, but that cooler will become fairly heavy when it is full and might cause a problem eventually. For a temporary solution it'd probably be OK though.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I also just used the stock metal straps and did some simple bends in a vise as needed. Won't take much time at all and you'll be a lot more comfortable bouncing on the trails vs. worrying about nylon/plastic zip ties.

TransCooler%20%2810%29-L.jpg

TransCooler%20%2822%29-L.jpg

JPaul

I also just used the stock metal straps and did some simple bends in a vise as needed. Won't take much time at all and you'll be a lot more comfortable bouncing on the trails vs. worrying about nylon/plastic zip ties.

TransCooler%20%2810%29-L.jpg

TransCooler%20%2822%29-L.jpg
Is that the 4590 as well? How does it do keeping the fluid temps down in that position? With how mine is oriented I'm thinking it is affecting the efficiency and cooling ability of my AC. Though my AC may need a complete overhaul as well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

EndeavoredH3

2CD12F60-63E6-4DE3-A31C-C5EBCA79BEC2.jpeg

I threw it on the driver side. The “custom” brackets I rigged up were the supplied hardware and my locking vice grips. Not time consuming. Took longer to paint the mounting hardware once all put together.

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
#4589, here's the thread. https://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/fo...-Cooler-Thread-Number-3-install-with-pictures

I don't monitor my trans temps but it seems to work well. I've got 70,000 miles on this transmission and have not seen temperature issues in operation or fluid condition. I can't see how yours is mounted but I followed the mfr. recommendations for mounting to avoid getting air trapped in the cooler. But basically it's the inlet at the bottom, outlet at the top. The outlet should always be up top regardless of cooler orientation.

rascole

Also to confirm the bottom line coming out of the tranny is the pressure line and the top is the return? I did what you did Alex and cut the crimp off the factory hose, mine were weeping.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Correct, bottom line is pressure line, top is return. This forces the cooler to fill up before returning to the transmission, maximizing cooler and eliminating air pockets.