• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

My H3T time is up

Mr_Rich

I've been fighting the idea of letting my 3T go. It had to happen. I'm not getting younger and I've enjoyed owning this truck for the last ten years. It was 1 of 56 with a manual trans and I think my original decision to buy this truck was a good one. After Craig let his go I think that kind of pushed me in this direction. My truck still had good value and I think I've got a fair offer. I've got my travel trailer now that I'm pulling with a HD 2500 Dodge Ram. It's a different world for me now.

JPaul

It's great to romanticize about keeping a vehicle forever, but ultimately there are very few people who will or even can do that. Situations, interests, and hobbies change and life goes on. We define our vehicles, not the other way around. I think the H3 is a great rig and I will probably keep mine for a good long while, but it's becoming more of a toy these days than something truly useful. At least I now have the room and ability to keep it more for playing than daily use. But my daughters are all getting bigger, and long trips with the whole family soon won't be very comfortable with the H3 so a bigger rig will likely be coming in the next few years or so. But the H3 will be kept for me to go on solo trips for the foreseeable future, which I am working on increasing the frequency of by a large margin. If I can ever get it out of the garage that is!

Mr_Rich

I'm going back through the history and maintenance history of my truck. There were common replacement parts like the throttle body and PS pump. Other than that it's been a great vehicle. My mileage in 2013 was 70K. In 2020 it is 120K miles. I rebuilt my old Chevy K1500 in 2013 and started driving it more since it was the larger vehicle and could carry more of a load. Life changes and I started relying on this vehicle less.

08H3

Knew manuals were rare, but did not realize there were only 56! That explains why years of Craigslist searching for a manual T have always come up empty.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry to see it go but like you said, time moves on, lives and interests change, needs change. I have had several vehicles that I at one time thought I would never sell. Most of them are gone now but I have moved into something else interesting when I have sold them.

MilamJR

Exactly. That is why I am going to sell my 1969 Corvette convertible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr_Rich

I miss my 3T. It turned in to my DD for many years and I piled on a lot of miles. It was my retirement gift to myself back in '09 and it kind of symbolized that fact in my mind every time I drove it. The sale had to be done. It didn't make sense to keep it any longer since all I was using it for was dinner and mailbox runs. The intermittent Pass-Lock 10 min. timeout was the only issue I was having after 100K miles. After I tried repairing that problem with what turned out to be a defective part I just gave up and lived with the problem. I imagine a dealer will catch up on the recalls and it will sell quickly. It was very handy to use as a light duty truck and drove very well.

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Have a buddy who bought and totally rebuilt his 57 Chevy at 20 years old, that was 31 years ago. The car now has heavy body rust in all the lower parts. He’s s built several engines for it and it runs like a raped ape even now,with a Tremic trans put in several years ago. The car will eventually get fresh body work and paint because he’s the guy to make it happen.
It shakes out how much do you enjoy driving a unicorn, in his case, thumbs up every time I’ve ever ridden in it with him and it’s not me.

Sad day to see yours go, hope the next guy has that much faith in yours

Mr_Rich

I did a search online and found "my" truck very quickly. Seems it has made its way to Las Vegas, NV at a dealer there. It looks pretty much like I sold it except for maybe a little more polish. That's about it.