• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Backup Wire..... Where is it?

crank

The Master Blaster!
I'm installing my backup camera and monitor today. I have a pretty good place for the camera and monitor. The camera mounted just above the back door of my wagon. The monitor mounted on the side of the hump just below the cig outlet, facing the driver.
I try to use the camera and monitor only when it's in reverse. The cam in the back I can tap the wire from the hitch
connector. The monitor is another story. I need the backup signal wire coming off the backup switch. The book says it's a orange wire.
Does anyone know where the best and easiest place to pickup the backup wire?
TNX

hummech

it does not come inside the cab, so you will need to tap into it at the shfter harness and then run a wire into the cab. i run them up to the hood lock cable and thread ir threw that pass threw gromit to enter the cab. i hate drill in holes into the body. :)

crank

The Master Blaster!
I know what you mean. I'll find any hole to use before I drill.
Anyway, I have other problems I'm working on. I still have starter problems. I found 6 out of 12 total cells dry in the two batteries. One battery is checking out ok. The other is on the edge between good and bad. I only had this a few weeks now and should have checked it when I got it. I found two starter wires loose yesterday. I swear, it's a wonder this ran at all. What I need to do is go through the entire vehicle and look for problems.
Thanks a lot for the good info on the reverse wire!

it does not come inside the cab, so you will need to tap into it at the shfter harness and then run a wire into the cab. i run them up to the hood lock cable and thread ir threw that pass threw gromit to enter the cab. i hate drill in holes into the body. :)

hummech

yes, sometimes you have to get the bugs worked out of them and get them to where you are happy with them. i work on people Hummers and the they will shake the steering wheel out of your hands while driving or the hood is so far out of adjustment that it squeeks and rattles which bugs the crap out of me and the customer say's that is how the hummer was when they bought it. LOL. i just fix it and the customers just say, wow since you changed my oil my hummer is so much quieter then it has ever been.
changing the brushes will fix your starter issue. if it is a loose cable or low battery it will make a click, click,click sound, if it is the brushes it just make a single click when you turn the key and if you keep tapping it, it will most likely turn over and start unless the brushes are completely burned down.

crank

The Master Blaster!
Your saying, turning the key to start it you hear one click and nothing hapens, then it's brushes!? I have that problem and I heard it might be the soleniod contacts. So I ended up buying:
5929757 - Kit, Core Contact
5929755 - Kit, Gasket Switch
From BluHum to fix my starter. I think I hear I need the brushes kit also? Or possibly send it to Joe's Starters to get it rebuilt.
We ran out of light today so it will have to wait until after work tomorrow.
Thanks again for your help and advice!

yes, sometimes you have to get the bugs worked out of them and get them to where you are happy with them. i work on people Hummers and the they will shake the steering wheel out of your hands while driving or the hood is so far out of adjustment that it squeeks and rattles which bugs the crap out of me and the customer say's that is how the hummer was when they bought it. LOL. i just fix it and the customers just say, wow since you changed my oil my hummer is so much quieter then it has ever been.
changing the brushes will fix your starter issue. if it is a loose cable or low battery it will make a click, click,click sound, if it is the brushes it just make a single click when you turn the key and if you keep tapping it, it will most likely turn over and start unless the brushes are completely burned down.

Last edited: