Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Low Profile
    Thanks

Torsion lift, switching to green keys

Iíve had this truck for about 10 years and Iím just now starting to do any real modding, next up on my to do list is torsion lift.

I have no interest in doing the truxx 2.5 Fr, 1.5 Rr lift as the rear sits higher now that Iíve removed the air suspension for coil springs and I donít want it any higher. Essentially I just want to raise the front ~1.5 inches.

My goal is to get the truck close to level, but, critically without sacrificing ride quality, Iím happy to have the rear slightly higher (but closer to level) and keep my ride comfort; hence only going 1.5 inches instead of 2.5.

Now my question is, for those that have swapped to green keys, or the truxx kit, **how much lift is gained from simply swapping the keys and leaving the adjustment bolts untouched(or at the same factory height)**. This lift amount should be consistent with every truck. If just swapping keys can get me where I want to be without touching the adjustment bolts then I will make that move.

iirc my Bilstein 5100s are meant for 0Ē-2.5Ē so I shouldnít need stock extenders.

So my main question here is how much lift do the green keys give the truck independent of the adjustment.

Mall Crawler

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwillnc View Post
    Iíve had this truck for about 10 years and Iím just now starting to do any real modding, next up on my to do list is torsion lift.

I have no interest in doing the truxx 2.5 Fr, 1.5 Rr lift as the rear sits higher now that Iíve removed the air suspension for coil springs and I donít want it any higher. Essentially I just want to raise the front ~1.5 inches.

My goal is to get the truck close to level, but, critically without sacrificing ride quality, Iím happy to have the rear slightly higher (but closer to level) and keep my ride comfort; hence only going 1.5 inches instead of 2.5.

Now my question is, for those that have swapped to green keys, or the truxx kit, **how much lift is gained from simply swapping the keys and leaving the adjustment bolts untouched(or at the same factory height)**. This lift amount should be consistent with every truck. If just swapping keys can get me where I want to be without touching the adjustment bolts then I will make that move.

iirc my Bilstein 5100s are meant for 0Ē-2.5Ē so I shouldnít need stock extenders.

So my main question here is how much lift do the green keys give the truck independent of the adjustment.
    You should be good with just swapping to the green keys. Running the same Bilstein shocks as you, but with the cognito upper control arms. Plus extra weight in the front, winch, heavy UCP. With all that, the green keys brought me up about an inch. For the price of them compared to kits out there. Itís a no brainer
    2005 H2 Adventure

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    You should be good with just swapping to the green keys. Running the same Bilstein shocks as you, but with the cognito upper control arms. Plus extra weight in the front, winch, heavy UCP. With all that, the green keys brought me up about an inch. For the price of them compared to kits out there. Itís a no brainer
    About to buy some new shocks for my H2 trying decide between Bilstein or Fox. What are your thoughts after running the Bilstein? Happy or regrets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Thanks Zach, thatís exactly what I wanted to know, the keys are cheap enough Iíll just buy a puller and put the green keys on.

Easy decision to just replace with the re indexed keys rather than trying to crank the stock keys.

I only have my receiver winch and factory double hoop grille guard on the front so mine may come up slightly higher.
    Last edited by Iwillnc; 02-03-2020 at 12:15 PM.

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Milam,

I know you asked Zach but Iím happy with the bilsteins, Iíve probably had them for 30-40k miles and they ride very well, hopefully I donít lose that bringing the front end up.

I would buy them again.

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Milam,

I know you asked Zach but Iím happy with the bilsteins, Iíve probably had them for 30-40k miles and they ride very well, hopefully I donít lose that bringing the front end up.

I would buy them again.
    I didnít just want Zachís feedback. I want as many data points as possible. Fox 2.0ís are about $240 more so trying to determine if I should spend the extra money. This is helpful.

Low Profile
    Thanks
    My truck is fairly stock, I have the version 1.0 KO2s in 37x12.5x17 size for reference and I find the bilsteins do a better job smoothing out imperfections on-road and take abuse off-road better by not being nearly as harsh hitting ruts and diving in and out of holes, creeks, etc.

Itís very dependent on the driver but I find them a little floaty like an old school BOF car, which I love.

I donít have experience with any other shocks outside of the factory original and these 5100 bilsteins. So Iím sure there are probably better shocks available but for the money I am very happy.

I will say I have heard that the 4600 bilstein shocks, which iirc are for towing are quite a bit harsher and not recommended for these trucks.
    Last edited by Iwillnc; 02-03-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Street Tire
    Thanks
    My truck is fairly stock, I have the version 1.0 KO2s in 37x12.5x17 size for reference and I find the bilsteins do a better job smoothing out imperfections on-road and take abuse off-road better by not being nearly as harsh hitting ruts and diving in and out of holes, creeks, etc.

Itís very dependent on the driver but I find them a little floaty like an old school BOF car, which I love.

I donít have experience with any other shocks outside of the factory original and these 5100 bilsteins. So Iím sure there are better shocks available but for the money I am very happy.

I will say I have heard that the 4600 bilstein shocks, which iirc are for towing are quite a bit harsher and not recommended for these trucks.
    Thanks. This is very helpful.

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Alright looking around the green keys GM part number is 15592573, Iím going to order these and a removal tool. Need to check the front end to see if anything has play, no sense in getting an alignment only to find out a couple thousand miles later I need to replace something and get another alignment
    Could be an excuse to get bigger tie rods...

🤔

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Alright looking around the green keys GM part number is 15592573, Iím going to order these and a removal tool. Need to check the front end to see if anything has play, no sense in getting an alignment only to find out a couple thousand miles later I need to replace something and get another alignment

I have the Dmax tie rods and after almost 2 years no complaints.

Low Profile
    Thanks
    The dmax tie rods are the ones I believe Iím going to get, the Kryponite rods are a bit rich for my blood, though I definitely respect them.

Iíll never go any bigger than 37s or maybe smaller 38s so I believe the Dmax rods should suit my needs well.

Weíll see.

My truck still has the OE - 3 of the 4 (Inner, outer, left, right) tie rod halfís, at 169k miles, either Iím not off-roading hard enough or Iím really good at greasing them haha.

Street Tire
    Thanks
    They are significantly thicker so you will be able to see why they are stronger than OEM.

Mall Crawler

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MilamJR View Post
    About to buy some new shocks for my H2 trying decide between Bilstein or Fox. What are your thoughts after running the Bilstein? Happy or regrets?

On my second set of Bilsteins. Way way happy with them. They allow for the extra little raise in the front end too. First set, the bushings at the ends fell out. Oh well.
    2005 H2 Adventure

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zach For This Useful Post:

MilamJR (02-04-2020)

Mall Crawler

Thanks

Check the hub assemblies, they do tend to go out. On my sixth set, although I have beat them and 37ís do take a toll on them.
    If you are going with Dmax tie rods, also run them. They are stout and happy with them. Also get the Cognito reinforcement kit for the idler and pitman arms.
    2005 H2 Adventure

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Trust me Iíve been through plenty of hub assemblies myself.