• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

VIDEO: How To Install 7in Round Headlights On A Hummer H3!

Acer4LO

Hey H4O! Just posted a new video on my YouTube channel showing how you can install 7in Round Headlights on the Hummer H3. Not sure if you guys have heard yet, but there is a new adapter on the market that allows you fit 7in lights on your H3 with no permanent modifications needed. Now this video is pretty long; however, I tried designing from the perspective of a newbie who is brand new to the H3 and modifying their vehicle in general. Since this install isn’t that expensive, I’m guessing its going to be a popular first modification that people do in the future, so I wanted to make this video as beginner friendly as possible. I’m extremely happy with my headlights, way better than the stock ones! Anyway give it a watch when you get the chance!

Oh yes I did do this install on my 2006 Hummer H3 instead of my 2008 Alpha. The reason why I installed them on there was because it made it better for the tutorial as the H3 is basically stock. Also I got the road armor bumper on my Alpha and that would have made it harder to install and get good camera angles because the bumper would have gotten in the way.

[video=youtube;SKi2cz2h6lE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKi2cz2h6lE[/video]

Here are some photos of the completed install as well as some photos of the adapters that I took.

i-BHnFwZz-X3.jpg

i-n4ZbMsp-X3.jpg

i-7drqrnS-X3.jpg

i-4Xc6jWF-X3.jpg

i-DMkfT74-X3.jpg

i-5xGhgSD-X3.jpg

i-dwfw9Lm-X3.jpg

i-WRfZMXD-X3.jpg

i-vvhP95z-X3.jpg

JPaul

Those look nice and all, but why mold in the ball sockets when the factory clips are removable and could be screwed to the posts on the adapter? Less chance of them breaking and ending up with a headlight rattling around that way.

I'm curious to see the durability of the adapters. If the 3d printer being used isn't setup right you can end up with weak bonding between layers and have it split apart down the road, literally.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

EndeavoredH3

I'm curious to see the durability of the adapters. If the 3d printer being used isn't setup right you can end up with weak bonding between layers and have it split apart down the road

Its the main reason why I’m going to wait this one out for a few months. Would like to do this but want to see the reliability first.

Traxx

Great vid, easiest way to pop the headlights off is to just spray the ball studs with silicone spray then grab each side and yank. They come right off every time.

Jeepwalker

That's interesting.
I need to do something with our headlights too one of these days. They're getting crappy.

I'll probably stick with halogens or something more off the shelf. Maybe just OEMs ..not sure yet. But I like your idea.

Nice work!

Last edited:

atvspeed4

This should be interesting we have tested 3d printed parts for production and its not there yet for durability when used outside the vehicle from our research. We were working our own adapters prior to these coming out and decided to sit back and see how this plays out first. Ours are a little different and would have a shroud to fill in around the headlight but we are focused on other projects right now

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Before I make the leap on a project like this I'm looking for one that fills in the gap around the headlight. But this is a great start and a great video.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I have them, been on about a month now.

Can't really compare my results to a daily as mine isn't a daily and stays in a garage most of the time. That being said, I'm pleased with them, the cheapo $90 headlights I put in leave a little to be desired so a higher quality JW speaker or KC light might be worth it.

I did break one ball stud a little, *my own fault* for wailing on it with a hammer instead of being patient and using some sand paper to finesse it on.

I will say this about the lights I have. I do feel like the brights actually do something and I can see down the road now, lows are similar to stock, but combined with fogs have plenty of light. I haven't been flashed yet for using the lows and fogs, so that's good I guess?

I know a lot of you dont like the gap, but even on my white H3 it's hard to tell/see the body color unless you're up close.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JPaul

I finally watched most of the video. It is a long video for someone that knows how to do this stuff but it is pretty detailed so that is great for people that don't, which there are a lot of those. It's good that you included the jump points in the description for people like me.

That was interesting to hear that they were printed with the carbon fiber impregnated nylon filament, I had assumed they were ABS filament. It doesn't mention that on their website, seems like they'd want to point that out.

I still think they should have designed it to use the stock ball clips instead of printing the sockets, it'd be one less thing to go wrong down the road. If I were to get the brackets I would modify the studs (or replace them with some aluminum standoffs I have) and use the clips off the old headlights.

I'm really curious about those polarity inverters you ended up going with, they are a much cleaner setup than the relay harness. Definitely give an update if you have any issues with them.

Acer4LO

I finally watched most of the video. It is a long video for someone that knows how to do this stuff but it is pretty detailed so that is great for people that don't, which there are a lot of those. It's good that you included the jump points in the description for people like me.

That was interesting to hear that they were printed with the carbon fiber impregnated nylon filament, I had assumed they were ABS filament. It doesn't mention that on their website, seems like they'd want to point that out.

I still think they should have designed it to use the stock ball clips instead of printing the sockets, it'd be one less thing to go wrong down the road. If I were to get the brackets I would modify the studs (or replace them with some aluminum standoffs I have) and use the clips off the old headlights.

I'm really curious about those polarity inverters you ended up going with, they are a much cleaner setup than the relay harness. Definitely give an update if you have any issues with them.

Yeah I tried making this video as detailed as possible because I know this is going to be a popular first mod to do, and many people don't know what they are doing. Heck some of them couldn't even find the link to purchase them... The stock ball clips do seem like a decent idea, but you would need close them all back up to ensure they don't pop off which is a bit annoying.

As of now I will be going with the 2 little polarity converter boxes over the Relay harness. I want to test these things over the next 6 months to a year to see if they still hold up. The only thing I don't like about them, is that they are not serviceable. If one of them breaks you need to replace the whole unit. I don't have a problem with that, as they are cheap. But I could imagine a situation where one of them goes out and you are on a wheeling trip and there is no easy way to get a new one without already bring a spare. If you are using the relay harness and the relay goes bad, all you got to do is pop a new relay in there which you could get at any auto parts store.

Acer4LO

Before I make the leap on a project like this I'm looking for one that fills in the gap around the headlight. But this is a great start and a great video.

Yeah before these came out, I did inquire if a cover to fill the gap was possible, but it would have been too costly for them to make. You are right that this is a great start! It would be interesting to see what Outfitter Design could come up with and if they could implement some type of cover like you said. Personally, my 2006 H3 doesn't look bad with the gaps, but it could just be that the color is black instead of a brighter color like white or yellow.

Overall I am really happy with these adapters and will be installing them on my 2008 H3 Alpha as well!

owlxxx

so... has anyone installed or does anyone have any experience with these new laser lights. I'm definitely not spending what Baja Designs is asking for their OnX line, though im gonna pick up a set of LP9s, but i saw that OZ USA and few a others actually sell 7" laser headlight kits. was curious as to how they perform.

Lauren

I need to change my headlights and fog lights.. bored of constantly changing the fog light bulbs, it makes me sad, (both have cracks so I assume that's why the bulbs keep dying) and the headlights are starting to somehow let moisture in...? Plus, I just want to update her look a little.

Anyway, I really like the Halo/Angel & Angry light look so I saw the Lased Design adapters on Instagram a little while ago and to be honest, had no faith.. then Acer4lo popped up on my Insta feed/wall with his video, I instantly had more confidence in them and thought they could be worth a look! (Thank you, Acer)

Now, bear with me, I'm a noob with electronics, I cannot wrap my head around them!
I understand I need to get an adapter to use ANY aftermarket headlight or fog light, right?
Please correct me if I'm wrong but its to do with the positive connection needs to be converted to negative connection.. ?
Please could someone kindly explain this to me in simple terms? :emb:

Also, please could someone recommend a brand or 2 that I should be looking at?
I've been looking on Amazon and DesertCart etc but the reviews of the different lights are so mixed that I'm not sure who to "trust". Or is it literally a leap of faith type thing and just hope the lights don't die after 2 weeks?

Examples of what I'm kind of looking for:

https://www.amazon.ae/TURBOSII-Head...Hummer+halo+head+lights&qid=1580114973&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.ae/NSLUMO-Headli...Hummer+halo+head+lights&qid=1580114973&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.ae/TURBOSII-Appr...3+halo+headlights&qid=1580115199&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Appreciate any advice and help!

amrg

The second one has a better beam pattern the the first and last one (spider eye design).
If you get the adapter you can fit any 7" round LED light you desire. There is a 7" round light showdown in youtube that tells you the difference between each one and what is better/worse. The new jeep JL design copies are one of the best available atm for a great price.

7" round headlight comparison

https://youtu.be/peFLmu2MfTg

Lauren

The second one has a better beam pattern the the first and last one (spider eye design).
If you get the adapter you can fit any 7" round LED light you desire. There is a 7" round light showdown in youtube that tells you the difference between each one and what is better/worse. The new jeep JL design copies are one of the best available atm for a great price.

7" round headlight comparison

https://youtu.be/peFLmu2MfTg

Thank you, amrg!

I'll watch it when I get home. :)

So if I get the Lased Design adapter and the "Negative Switch Converter" that they recommend (see link below) then I'm good to go, right?

Do I have to buy a negative converter for each light i.e 4? or just 1? (Sorry if that's a stupid question!)

And thank you for your opinion, I'll look at going for the NSLUMO ones then, not sure if the Halo is a running light or not though, will have to try and find out!

Negative Switch Converter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...W1PMK&linkId=05f3d45236c62b279f8f525ef443db6d

artkrime

You only need one set for the headlights, the fogs do not require them.

Thank you, amrg!

So if I get the Lased Design adapter and the "Negative Switch Converter" that they recommend (see link below) then I'm good to go, right?

Do I have to buy a negative converter for each light i.e 4? or just 1? (Sorry if that's a stupid question!)

And thank you for your opinion, I'll look at going for the NSLUMO ones then, not sure if the Halo is a running light or not though, will have to try and find out!

Negative Switch Converter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...W1PMK&linkId=05f3d45236c62b279f8f525ef443db6d

Romeo

I have them, been on about a month now.

Can't really compare my results to a daily as mine isn't a daily and stays in a garage most of the time. That being said, I'm pleased with them, the cheapo $90 headlights I put in leave a little to be desired so a higher quality JW speaker or KC light might be worth it.

I did break one ball stud a little, *my own fault* for wailing on it with a hammer instead of being patient and using some sand paper to finesse it on.

I will say this about the lights I have. I do feel like the brights actually do something and I can see down the road now, lows are similar to stock, but combined with fogs have plenty of light. I haven't been flashed yet for using the lows and fogs, so that's good I guess?

I know a lot of you dont like the gap, but even on my white H3 it's hard to tell/see the body color unless you're up close.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I am running both thier headlight and fog light adapters for about a month now as well. My H3 is a daily and the headlights haven't had any issues yet. The gap doesn't bother me and you won't really notice unless your are close up and inspecting the vehicle but then again I do have a black grill and the headlights housing are also black so everything blends together.

Foglight adapters on the other hand is what I did have issues with; one side snapped during install pretty easily and found that the bracket could use some adjustments. Waiting on Lased Designs to make adjustments and send me the new pair.

In the meanwhile I kept the Foglight adapters on along with some Dum Dum putty to help keep it in place (haven't had time to take them out) but so far one side has only fallen out 1x while driving.

Overall, I am pleased with the headlight adapters, should anything happen to them I will post an update.
31efc52b08a06b8ab0dc85c0c31217a6.jpg
82887c9033dcfada1e3718a29160f730.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Acer4LO

Thank you, amrg!

Hello Lauren!

So the reason why we need the harness is to reverse the polarity because by nature LED lights are polarity sensitive. This means that electricity can only flow IN and OUT in one direction. This is very different than a traditional incandescent bulb which is not polarity sensitive. You can hook up a traditional bulb anyway you want and electricity will flow through it both ways.

In order to get them to get both your new 7in Headlights to work, you only need ONE Negative Switched Relay Harness (Option 1). If you want to go with Option 2, which is those 2 Polarity Converter boxes, you will need 2 of them. They are sold as a set of two, so that won’t be a problem.

The Foglights do not need any type of adapter. All you have to do is plug them in. However, you need to plug them in the opposite way they are intended to go. On the OEM fog light harness there is this little buckle/clip and on the foglight harness itself, it has this little tab that is intended to slip into that buckle. To get them to work, do not let the little tab on the fog light harness to slip into the buckle on the OEM harness. Instead, flip it around the opposite way.

Also just as a note. If you want to buy headlights with a RGB lights (Color Changing Halo/Angel Eye Lights) there is some additional wiring you will need to do to wire up the color changing function. I don’t cover it in my videos, but there are some other videos out there on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rXCJF_dHIc

This video that I linked above is for a Jeep, but it shows you the basic idea about how you should go about it. Also, if you do decide to buy a pair of 7in headlights with the color changing halo lights and foglights that ALSO have a color changing feature, GET THEM AS A PACKAGE! All these RGB lights are controlled off a little control box that allows you connect it to your phone to change the color. If you buy the headlights and foglights separately, you get 2 different module boxes that you will need to mount instead of just one. Also I don’t think you will be able to change the color of both the headlights and foglights on your phone instantly at the same time. You will need to connect to one box to change the color of the headlights, and then connect to the other module box to change the color of the foglights. The ones that are sold as a package allow you to connect all the RGB functions on the lights (2 Headlights, 2 Foglights) together and you can change them together instantly.

Personally I am not a fan of the RGB look which is why I didn’t get a pair, but by all means if you want them, they are out there!

In terms of what brand to trust. It is very hard to say if you are looking on Amazon or Ebay. Almost all lights on there are Made in China and many of the different brands you see on there are from the same factory. There are US name brand ones available, however there is a huge price difference. Many of these lights range from $300 to $1000. Brands like these include are JW Speaker, Truck Lite Morimoto, HID Projectors, KC Lights, etc.

Hope this was helpful!

Rockhound

Watched the video, well done, when I grabbed mine it had a poorly done hid conversion, no brights, one fog missing wiring and bulb, sorted. It out lots of wiring removed, I am back to stock, found some good bulbs that are adequate, might do a conversion some time

Acer4LO

Update:

Lased Designs just announced a V2 version for 3D printed studs. These studs use the factory 4 prong clip on the OEM headlight to hold the new headlights in place. From the looks of it, the actual main part of the headlight adapter, hasn't been changed, just the studs.

i-htxFX5d-XL.jpg

ConcealedGLOCK

Now he just needs to 3D print the roof marker housing with identical marker lights. Or even the Offroad lights he has up there.

Acer4LO

Now he just needs to 3D print the roof marker housing with identical marker lights. Or even the Offroad lights he has up there.

Haha that would be the dream! I talk to the guy a lot and we bounce back ideas. From what he has told me, his 3D printers that he has is no where near big to print that. A printer that size would probably cost more than 50K. Also the print times would probably take 80+ hours for one set. Just a random guess on the print time for that though. I have no idea lol, but he has said that to print a full set of the 7in headlight adapters can take a full 24 hours.