• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Need to Fix My Starter!

crank

The Master Blaster!
:sigh:
Well it looks like I need to fix my starter soon. It just clicks every now and again. After a few clicks and then it might start. I talked to BlueHummer and ordered the parts to replace the core and disk in the starter soleniod. I think I said that right. Thanks to Dave, I have the directions to rip it out of there and replace the bad parts.
Does anyone out there have any words of wisdom that would help me out? Some tricks? Other than it's way too heavy.. This will be a first time for this guy.

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Get some beer in the fridge, drink one or two to mellow out---drop the starter, not on your hands or head (I say that because I dropped my driveshaft on my head as a kid!), do your thing and finish off the rest of the beer. Easy.
DO NOT test drive the 1 after drinking the beers!

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
I always add a ground strap to the starter motor especially if you like to play in the water. It helps with keeping a good current running trough the system.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Hunner

Did you check your battery cables and ground really good with the existing starter?
I would hold off on increasing your yeast level until after the swap if you decide to go that route, you know McGyver welded with 12v!!
Another check would be with a tap tap (with a medium BFH) on the old solenoid to see if that got the old one working. If it does that is only a temporary fix.
If you have been in water, or even if you have not, disassembling and cleaning it out and a douch with some contact cleaner then some light dry lube of some kind, (WD40 ain't your grandpas' formula anymore) might be all it needs.
You will never know unless you try. It will get you practiced up for a field repair in the future!
Then have a brusky!
Just the old school method.
You don't want to become a "parts replacer" like some techs are nowdays, unless it is needed.
On an extreme trip a spare starter and alternator would not be a bad idea. Rare failure, maybe but unless you have another vehicle along and have the time to go get parts and come back.............

On my extended trips in the Gulf (on my sailboat) I carried both, that way you can repair or replace the old ones when it is convenient. plus a fuel pump and water pump impellers. (just in case there was no wind) Ended up using the fuel pump and 2 water pump impellers. Salt water is baaaad stuff.

I just had the water pump replaced at 47,000 miles on the H3, which would not have been convenient in the Mojave desert of Capitol Reef Park or some of the Death Valley trails. First time I ran all those I had very low mileage, which "don't" mean much.

Only overheating problem I had on the Alpha was when it was new, low mileage in Moab and a heater hose clamp was not fully engaged, it came that way!

Last edited:

Ron B

hummer starters are REALLY expensive. If you ever need one quick or don't plan on fording rivers...here is a direct replacement that can be had from the local Kragen/O'Reilly auto parts store. I have had one in my truck for a while now and it works really well. It's also quite a bit smaller so me thinks you can swap it without removing the ucp. David originally loaned me his when mine died so I stole this info from him!

Ultima #03-0447

**edit -- make sure you give David a big thanks. He has saved my butt a few times for sure!

Last edited:

crank

The Master Blaster!
Good info from all. Yeah... I'll get through this one way or another. I'm not mechanically too smart so Im a bit nervous of the outcome. It's not rocket science.
I'm also bummed I don't dare drive it until it's fixed. I've been talking at work about the beautiful beast I just bought. I have a couple guys there that drive nisson and toyota 4x4's. All I heard from those wise asses about the H1 or any Hummer being a POS and how they will be there to pull me out of the mud (if I'm nice to them). Been building up to the day, this Tuesday, when I drive it to work and show it off. I'll have to swallow a little crow for a while but the day I get it there will be even sweeter!

crank

The Master Blaster!
Starter UPDATE!
My next door neighbor is a diesel mechanic. He offered to fix it! I got talking to him about the H1 and he has a place we can do the fix. Damn I feel a crap load better about that. I told him I need the training so I want to do it myself. He is going to stand over me with a bat for the times I screw up. I guess being a good neighbor did pay off for once. Go figure...

LagunaH1

Best of luck Joe. Did you look into batteries and electrical connections? I know it's a totally different vehicle but my H3 did the same and it turned out to be the batteries that couldn't supply the necessary current. I replaced the battery and everything was fine.

Ron B

reward your cool neighbor handsomely -- you will need his help a time or two (or ten) in the future.

And go wheel a bit in your truck before going out with your buddies. Learn to btm with confidence or they may be pulling you out!

crank

The Master Blaster!
Best of luck Joe. Did you look into batteries and electrical connections? I know it's a totally different vehicle but my H3 did the same and it turned out to be the batteries that couldn't supply the necessary current. I replaced the battery and everything was fine.
The batteries look new. That doesn't mean much though. Connections are very tight. IT's strange but now I can't get it to screw up. It starts everytime. I don't trust it though.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Great news. Best way to learn for next time. Definitely have some beers on hand for the neighbor.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

crank

The Master Blaster!
reward your cool neighbor handsomely -- you will need his help a time or two (or ten) in the future.

And go wheel a bit in your truck before going out with your buddies. Learn to btm with confidence or they may be pulling you out!

I plan on rewarding the man with much riches and such! I'm very grateful!
My buds can be a real pain in the ass, but I know it all BS. I give it back also.

Hunner

When you said "the connections are very tight" did you try to wiggle them or tighten them? If you pulled on them it could have been enough to make a better connection, for now.
When I was going to change mine out I cranked on one hard to see what happens. If that stupid nut on the clamp is over tightened it will actually at some point cause the tapered end to become loose, go figure. Junk either way, now would be a good time to change them.
Going offroading and bouncing around can also cause them to loosen. Make sure your battery is secured.
Then see if the problem comes back, or not.

Last edited:

crank

The Master Blaster!
All connections that I can see are very tight. In fact I would grab and yank before torqing down again. The battery terminals are those small side mounted terminals. They have a 5/16 head. I hate those. The cables from the battery including the battery lookes new.
Under the hood looks like SH*#! Everything is rusty and corroded. Whoever had this before didn't take care of this at all. It makes me sick.

Hunner

Ahha, check to make sure they are the right gauge wires.
If that is a side terminal battery unless OEM changed, someone HAS changed the cables to fit. So back to check those connections.
This is what my OEM looked like. With the battery all nice and cozy in a box that holds/maybe shields from some heat and a vent to let in bugs and rain road spray.
DAH_1741.jpg

This is how those should look, cut off! and right beside that are those great tabs off of the fuse box cover!!! I'm on my third one.
DAH_4744.jpg

All better now with a cozy reflective blanket which may also keep in some heat but it's thin, and there is air circulation around the batteries. Mine are sealed but flooded batteries give off hydrogen gas when charged hard and in the right conditions (remember the Hindenburg?) I guess that is why they had the vent snout. (had to be a bit sarcastic, after all they (GM) did drop us)
I got about the same amount of dirt on the batteries in the box but at least after a week in Moab I can see it and will be more likely to clean it off.
5599.jpg

Keep going your on the right track and with your forum name you should be king of crank!:thumbs:

Last edited:

crank

The Master Blaster!
Ahha, check to make sure they are the right gauge wires.
If that is a side terminal battery unless OEM changed, someone HAS changed the cables to fit. So back to check those connections.
This is what my OEM looked like. With the battery all nice and cozy in a box that holds/maybe shields from some heat and a vent to let in bugs and rain road spray.
DAH_1741.jpg

This is how those should look, cut off! and right beside that are those great tabs off of the fuse box cover!!! I'm on my third one.
DAH_4744.jpg

All better now with a cozy reflective blanket which may also keep in some heat but it's thin, and there is air circulation around the batteries. Mine are sealed but flooded batteries give off hydrogen gas when charged hard and in the right conditions (remember the Hindenburg?) I guess that is why they had the vent snout. (had to be a bit sarcastic, after all they (GM) did drop us)
I got about the same amount of dirt on the batteries in the box but at least after a week in Moab I can see it and will be more likely to clean it off.
5599.jpg

Keep going your on the right track and with your forum name you should be king of crank!:thumbs:

Thanks Hunner! MY truck has the side terminals and the cables are huge! I'd say 3/4-1" dia. Very hard to bend. The terminals are very clean too. Thats what make me think it is somewhat new.
King of Crank? You'd think so... :)

Ron B

it's tight under the hood, but with a body lift there is room use the top terminals. I had to make my own hold down bracket because I went with odysseys and they are a bit bigger than the stock ones. I have never had an issue with side terminals but have read that the top terminals are better/stronger?