• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

[POSTPONED] 2020 Black Sheep Week - April 12-18

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
City of Waco is canceling vacations for all essential personnel. JJ being a chemist in the water department testing water samples from all over the region, she is considered essential. Her vacation was approved but now we aren’t sure they are going to let her go.

JPaul

I really hope that the order is lifted in time, but honestly I don't know that it will be. We are still seeing the very beginning of this whole thing, and as of today all 50 states have reported cases of covid-19. Considering China is just barely easing off restrictions and they first started admitting cases in December, the other countries will like exercise an abundance of caution in lifting restrictions.

Granted, they have to also consider the economic impacts of the measures going in place for extended periods and balance that against the risk of re-exposing everyone to the virus. We could all quarantine for 2 weeks and lift restrictions after that and just end up right back where we are now as there is a resurgence in cases. I think in order for the curve to really flatten it's going to take a longer period of time for the measures to be effective.

But again, I really hope that we can go through with this trip. I've been planning for this for months now and putting in a ton of work on my truck to try and get it ready for it. I really need the break from work too, it's been brutal the last few months.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

MilamJR

d6ceb3c202d8d634e88b7b9ce0823de7.jpg

Looks like we just lost our place to stay. Was really looking forward to it. Spent a ton of time and money getting ready but looks like this just isn’t meant to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Korby7

I got the same cancellation notice as Rascole. Not looking good for my black sheep week. My work has me “working from home” for the next 30 days. Not sure how that works for a building engineer? Guess I’m monitoring controls for an empty building for 8 hrs a day.

rascole

I suggest everyone head to their favorite trail and we all wheel together via Skype and a virtual fire and drink (or 2) at Neos.

Neo

Badfish
sounds like they are shutting Moab down to anyone that's not local.

think they'll restrict interstate travel at some point?

was there ever a toilet paper episode of The Twilight Zone? there should of been.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
With restaurants, hotels, campgrounds shutdown, next to nothing in the grocery stores to buy is it time to pull the plug on these dates? Maybe look at doing this trip in late September or October like we used to for the second trip? Surely things will be back to normal or close to it by then.
Never a TP episode on Twilight Zone. I don't think the writers were crazy enough to dream up this scenario. My girls in Florida and Colorado say that they are having a hard time finding basic groceries where they are. This isn't a local thing. I passed a grocery store this morning on my way to the office. It didn't open until 8:00 AM and there were approximately 100 people in line with carts at the doors waiting to get in. I don't see the panic going away anytime soon. Every time these people go to the store and are not able to get what they want I think their panic sets in a little deeper.

JPaul

I'd be down for rescheduling to the fall or something. This whole thing is up in the air right now because of all this. I have the flexibility of waiting to see if things improve in a couple weeks but I don't know that everyone else does.

JPaul

To top all this virus stuff off, we had a 5.7 earthquake just west of Salt Lake city this morning and a bunch of aftershocks are still going. To put that in perspective, the last time we had an earthquake that big near there was 1992. So I am betting we'll see an increase in the local panic level up here. Probably won't affect the Moab area much. But who knows.

I felt a 4.0 just several minutes ago, I'm about 100 miles from the epicenter. It was weird, the bed shook just once. First time I had ever felt an earthquake, usually I am dead asleep or busy doing something and don't notice. Even the 5.7 this morning I was passed out, though I heard one of our cats meowing loudly, and apparently our dog was freaking out too.

MilamJR

I'd be down for rescheduling to the fall or something. This whole thing is up in the air right now because of all this. I have the flexibility of waiting to see if things improve in a couple weeks but I don't know that everyone else does.

Right now if something changes and things begin to reopen I am flexible enough right now to still come for the original dates. Would probably be hard for me to swing September/October.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been through numerous earthquakes in Cali. Some are big jolts, some are shakers and some are rollers. I have been driving through big rollers and never even felt them even though I could hear people on the other end of the phone call yelling.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
So there's a slight chance that Moab lifts this restriction in 14 days, roughly March 31/April 1 but it seems to be doubtful. I would think that the number of US and/or Utah cases of coronavirus would have to take a significant dip in that time and that's just not very much time.

For Sept/Oct, the https://www.moabhappenings.com/events year.htm suggests that Sept 27-Oct 3 would be ideal. While we'd normally start on Oct 4 (Neo's birthday), we'd run up against their gem show at the end of the week which could adversely affect hotel rates.

For those with reservations, especially condo reservations, please review and see if the fall might work.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Should work for me. We now have 5 confirmed cases in Waco and we had none yesterday. I don't see things improving within 14 days. I think things will actually, likely be worse in 14 days than they are now. Hope not but we do have some momentum in the wrong direction.

MilamJR

2020 Black Sheep Week - April 12-18

Should work for me. We now have 5 confirmed cases in Waco and we had none yesterday. I don't see things improving within 14 days. I think things will actually, likely be worse in 14 days than they are now. Hope not but we do have some momentum in the wrong direction.

Now as testing gets rolled out more broadly the undiagnosed cases that have been unaccounted for recently are going to get identified so the numbers are going to start to soar. I think watching the trends of critical cases and deaths are the numbers that will really tell you if we are turning the tide or not.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
I am in favor of moving it to the fall. This crisis has only started and as much as I would hope and like it to reverse course in the next 2 weeks, I would venture to guess that in the next 2 weeks things will be much worse than they are today. The sooner we pull the plug, the more likely that people can cancel reservations without losing their money.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

MilamJR

I am in favor of moving it to the fall. This crisis has only started and as much as I would hope and like it to reverse course in the next 2 weeks, I would venture to guess that in the next 2 weeks things will be much worse than they are today. The sooner we pull the plug, the more likely that people can cancel reservations without losing their money.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Most everyone is providing a refund on cancellations even for prepaid non refundable reservations. I canceled one for Jazzfest in New Orleans this morning. I think they will not reverse course before EJS because that would ruffle a lot of feathers but maybe they would by the time our week comes around.

jakesz28

We are in bad shape with the virus. I will likely be closing my business and am looking for a different job. It would be nice if things settled down and I could get out there in the fall.

Just got the 4" lift and 35" tires on the ZR2 and this happens. I think we will have to sell the ZR2 before we even get to have any fun with it.

MilamJR

2020 Black Sheep Week - April 12-18

Try to be patient. Just heard a guy on the radio say that they gave 40 people with the virus in France the combination of a Zpack and a rheumatoid arthritis medicine that are both generic and widely available. Completely cured in 6 days.

Last edited: