• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

[POSTPONED] 2020 Black Sheep Week - April 12-18

MilamJR

Do we put you down as confirmed? Is it you, your son and your dog? If so, really stoked that you are making the trek!

Just got approval for vacation time from my boss. It will be me, my 14 year old son and his golden doodle puppy. Lots to get done now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPaul

Got under the truck today to take a look at the frame (pretty confident I tweaked the passenger front frame horn last year when I dropped off a ledge I didn't realize was there, or it was when I nosed into a rockface, yes it was when I was being stupid on Metalmasher). Apparently I didn't do as good a job as I thought putting a new CV boot clamp on one of the axles to try to replace the one that was popped off when my sway bar connecting rod snapped (Also on Metalmasher, pretty sure that one was not my fault though, just cheap metal in the parts I used), grease is coming out. And the darn thing didn't seat all the way inside the diff either. Hoping that didn't cause any trouble.

2 brand new AC Delco axles are on order now (the driver side is a cardone or something like that, so I don't particularly trust it with the Alpha). This keeps up and I might as well have gone SAS.

Last edited:

Neo

Badfish
Just got back to Brookings. the trailer is on the lot and the 3 is at Rick & Beebs's. if things all go according to plan we'll see you in Moab.

MilamJR

Just got back to Brookings. the trailer is on the lot and the 3 is at Rick & Beebs's. if things all go according to plan we'll see you in Moab.

Great. Looking forward to meeting you and the others in person.

speedy

Sir Welds a Lot

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Couple of throwback pics
Moab-Moab%20Rim%2C%207%20Mile%20100510%20038-X2.jpg

Moab-Moab%20Rim%2C%207%20Mile%20100510%20051-X2.jpg

Moab-Moab%20Rim%2C%207%20Mile%20100510%20081-X2.jpg

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Been compiling a list of trails that we've done with my own opinions/input provided on some of them. We should determine our Sunday trail ahead of time. We've never done Seven Mile on Sunday so maybe that's a good group trail.

Easy and Scenic
Shaffer Switchbacks/Potash Road - easy scenic day. Permit needed for groups
Long Canyon - good combo route with Shaffer Switchbacks
Dome Plateau - mostly dirt road but route finding is difficult
Gemini Bridges
Chicken Corners - long and dusty

Average
Hell's Revenge - typically Monday or Tuesday so newbies can do the trail
Steel Bender
Poison Spider
Top of the World - lots of ledges
Fins N Things
Porcupine Rim
Seven Mile Rim
Lockhart Basin- short if only doing main obstacle, long if doing entire trail

Harder
Metal Masher
Flat Iron Mesa - challenging gatekeeper and obstacles. Harder obstacles have bypasses
Moab Rim
Behind the Rocks- significant obstacles, significant space between obstacles
Cliffhanger
Gold Bar Rim - used to be average, but one obstacle has turned into likely winch/strap required

Not done
Elephant Hill
Kane Creek - scratchy, gets harder each year

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I remember that year. Only year I took one of the H1 Alphas to Moab. Doug picked the trail where he fell and broke his arm. Supposed to be easy and I guess was for the H3s. I remember Neo and I having two wheels down and two up getting over many of the huge boulders and Neo taking body damage. I am thinking what am I doing having a $135,000.00 truck on this trail. LOL. Luckily no damage for me and it turned out to be a fun trail. Next time we ran it the boulders had been moved around some and it wasn't nearly as much fun.
I think we need to add a new trail to the list of ones we run.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I spoke with Luis earlier today. He said that he is definitely, positively, without a doubt making it to Moab this year. Look forward to seeing you Luis.

MilamJR

Got this today.

Book now before it's too late, as Kane Creek Campground and RV park will be limited to 102 total sites in 2020 and be closed for improvements in 2021. To be in better alignment with the local community and officials, we have agreed to reduce our number of sites by more than 80%. What that means is less congestion and a better experience for our guests, but it also means sites will go fast, especially in the March-May time period.

Tourism has exploded in Moab and the local and county governments have responded by slashing camping/RV and overnight accommodation permits. Also, due to this limitation, we will no longer be accepting guests who have not pre-booked with us. Space is extremely limited at our property and in the rest of Moab and surrounding areas, so make your reservations ASAP to make sure you can enjoy all the area has to offer!

jakesz28

Well, I just had a job get scheduled that week. So it looks like I won't make it. Maybe I can get the customer to change dates, but right now it dont look good.