• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

[POSTPONED] 2020 Black Sheep Week - April 12-18

SlcHummer

Thanks. I sent them an email about availability since you can’t book online. Is this where you are staying?

If I go yes, I would rent a cabin for my 1 pup and I which I've done a few times. I'm not 100% committed yet as I'll be out of town the following weekend and am already asking family to watch my 3 dogs that weekend. So gotta figure out if I've got sitters for my 2 small dogs if I go to Moab and if I go it'll likely only be from Wed/Thurs through Saturday.

MilamJR

We haven’t made any reservations yet but will certainly be in the motorhome, I’ll post the info when we find a spot.

Looks like I need to edit my location!

Have had a hard time finding any RV parks with availability. KOA had 2 spots so I reserved one. Now got to ask off from work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Not sure of the dates that you're looking, but if you start your search for Sun the 12th or Monday the 13th, vs. Saturday night, you might have better luck. Easter Jeep Safari participants typically check out on Sunday the 12th, the day we start.

If you're getting into the area on Saturday, book in Blanding or Monticello to the south, or maybe Green Valley to the north. Then you can wheel with us Sunday morning and grab your reservation after we get off the trails. You might also be able to park in Neo's lot, albeit without services, on Saturday night.

MilamJR

I am going to have to drive 12 hours each on Saturday and Sunday so I have been checking 12-18. One park said that they are booked for the whole month of April.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I am going to have to drive 12 hours each on Saturday and Sunday so I have been checking 12-18. One park said that they are booked for the whole month of April.

Do we put you down as confirmed? Is it you, your son and your dog? If so, really stoked that you are making the trek!

MilamJR

Do we put you down as confirmed? Is it you, your son and your dog? If so, really stoked that you are making the trek!

Yes subject to vacation request being approved so should know for sure in a couple of weeks. It will be the 3 of us. I would like to talk to you soon to get a few questions answered so we will know what to expect, what to bring and what we don’t need to bring. Really excited about the trip, getting to meet everybody and seeing their rigs in person.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
what to expect, what to bring and what we don’t need to bring.

Sent you a PM.

But the short answer is: bring the appropriate spares for your vehicle. For an H2, that might be a front half-shaft or 2, u-joints, and I don't know what else. Check with other H2 owners on the items that are more prone to failure on the trail. You also want vehicle specific tools, which could include security socket for lug nuts, hub-specific socket, etc.

It's good to have an air compressor. Many people do not air up after the trails as it is typically a short ride back to town but that's a personal choice. For the end of the week you can use someone else's compressor or a public one.

We have plenty of recovery tools and general tools on the trail so if you don't have all of that don't worry about it. Test your H2 ahead of time. Check the 4WD modes as well as the lockers, rear and front (if you have a front one).

Please come to the meeting spot each day ready to roll, i.e. fueled up and with lunch/beverages for the day. We save the adult beverages for after the trail. Typically we meet about 9 am here: https://goo.gl/maps/eAaWbVMrH9omjuBdA

You don't have to wheel with the group every day if you want to go sightseeing. If you do go wheeling, we won't put you in any unsafe positions or beyond your vehicle's capability, or yours. We stick together and if someone breaks, we fix it together. It's about coming out, having fun, enjoying Moab with friends.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am sure we will bring Ruger and maybe Annie, our new toy Australian Shepard. She manhandles our German Shepard even though she only weighs 14 pounds. Ruger on the other hand is fairly terrified of big dogs.

deserth3

Went checking for motels that week. Not much to be had. I wanted to make it this year, but doesn't look like it's going to happen.
Here's part of the reason pickings are slim.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.cruisemoab.com/event-details/[/FONT]

MilamJR

Went checking for motels that week. Not much to be had. I wanted to make it this year, but doesn't look like it's going to happen.
Here's part of the reason pickings are slim.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.cruisemoab.com/event-details/[/FONT]

I had a hard time finding a RV space too. But I have a reservation at KOA Moab. Might want to check there or other campgrounds who have cabins.

bebe

Alex, I sent an email to the Cruise Moab folks to get a head count :)

EDIT: All Good!!I'll have a schedule soon.

Last edited:

rascole

Radiator repair mandatory. MMW UCA and OD HD tie rods only if I have time. Too many trips before Moab, that's a good thing.

JPaul

Garage is almost straightened up enough to get the H3 back in to get more work done on it. Still need to install the air locker compressor and get the lockers plumbed and wired. Also need to get new tires put on (Probably going to try the Cooper ST Maxx). Picked up a HP Tuner last month and will probably get a tune from PCM of NC. Need to finish breaking in the new front diff gears first though.

Still have a bunch of other projects that I want to get finished before Moab, especially since I'm going back down to AZ again in May for Overland Expo. Bought the Experience package to get some proper hands on training. Yes, I am going to try very hard to not break my truck this time. :giggle:

MilamJR

Ordered the rubber duck 4X4 full under carriage protection, will also need new shocks, power tank and u-joints. Any recommendations on u-joints would be appreciated.