• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Square Headlights?

Okay folks, so I recognize that I might possibly be the only idiot who doesn't care for the "round peg in a square hole" look. And I haven't found squat on teh interwebs for square headlights for these things. What I have seen still has a round main reflector so it still looks goofy (to me). And yeah, I know that's part of Hummer's distinctive style, but it's still just a very capable non-Jeep little 4×4 at the end of the day. So am I alone in my desire for something less "me too"? Just curious.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Can't see them from the driver's seat, doesn't bother me. :)

There's pretty much zero aftermarket support for headlight alternatives for the H3.

amrg

The H3 headlight is approx 7"x7". Even if you got a way to adapt an after market headlight, you would still need to find a 7x7 headlight. Most aftermarket units are either a round 7" or a 7"x5" which would leave a gap top/bottom.

There is a guy 3d printing parts for the H3, I saw on instagram that he will get an adaptor for sale soon that allows to get a round 7" led inplace of the H3 headlights.

There is a guy 3d printing parts for the H3, I saw on instagram that he will get an adaptor for sale soon that allows to get a round 7" led inplace of the H3 headlights.

Yeah, I saw that and I think I'm going to have to make my own as well. A 7"×5" headlight might not be terrible, if I can find a nice filler for the gap. Meh... it's a down-the-road project. No pun intended. But some Silverstars will probably be all I end up doing.

Thanks for the heads up on aftermarket, I kinda thought that going into this odd duck.

Jeepwalker

I kind of like the square light idea. Be interesting to see what it looks like. I'd rather see a cheap glass headlight in there, the kind they used in the 80's which can be bought cheap at any farm and barn ...and last a long time. Pretty much no maintenance. I think over the years I've had maybe a grand total of 1 glass headlight get broken by a flying stone. The large glass headlight lenses in my ole Land Rover are very bright and really a treat. Hard to beat glass for clarity.

[EDIT:]
Ok, I went out and measured a square halogen light on a hilux. You'd need about 8" x 6.75" which would fit nicely in the H3. If you see the image of the Hilux below (the grille is similar to the H3 in 'jeep-ish' looks) you can see what it might look like. A single round glass light might work too (i.e. 79-81 Toyotas). But I know some guys are nuts about LED lighting (not me).

0b33ac58afae8741c069a3620b9e87a48d912b72.jpg

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Hmm, yeah they fit pretty nicely.
Looking at those pics, I'm not sure square lights add anything to the looks ...but don't necessarily take a lot away either. Be good to hear how they perform.

YES! I saw quite a few Russian vijeos that looked like they had square headlights, thought maybe it was a market variant thing. That is when I thought I'd look into it. Yeah, the rectangular ones look okay... but I was hoping for an easy swap. Seems silly to make a square housing that holds a round reflector. But that's part of the MIL-SPEC look they're trying to keep, I guess, right along with the grill.