• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Winter Projects

Alpha X

It's been a little bit quiet around here lately. I'm sure we're all busy before the holidays.

Who has winter plans for H3 upgrades and improvements?

I have a snorkel I want to install this winter. Probably send the PCM off to be tuned for my exhaust/intake, and tires. I have a 1.25" body lift I may try to get on before spring as well. I also want install some molle panels on my setbacks for modular storage. I saw some nice examples of them screwed into the seatback plastic all the way up, replacing the nets, and it looks like a good idea.

Last edited:

fanugy

I picked up a Cummins R2.8 but am going to unload and put an LSA and a 6l80 into my T. I’m giving myself a year for the project. Also trying to design long travel. We will see...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EndeavoredH3

I’ve been searching for a adventure solid rear axle in Arizona so I don’t have to deal with installing a locker in my pre-existing axle, but may grab an e-locker and have it installed correctly.

Next up is to install my fresh set of Tomp leaf mounts. But I’m going to swap out the leaf springs while I’m there, so that’ll be in a little while.

And finally, my lower control arm bushings need to be replaced. They are disgusting

JPaul

Just trying to get it back on the road. Front diff is finally back in and the steering gear and pump all replaced, but still no front axles or driveshaft in yet. Just haven't had time between the new property and work.

Lots of other projects I'd like to finish and do as well, like finally finishing the rear power system. Maybe during the Christmas break I can get it back on the road, but then again I have a pretty long list of things to work on around the house as well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Korby7

A bunch of Rancho lifts were on the market a short time ago. I seriously debated it... one thing led to another and now I’m putting in a straight axle.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Lots of various maintenance items. Oil change, diff fluid changes, PCM tune. Rear frame leaf spring bushings need to be replaced. Skid plate mounted. Figure out why my blower motor it ticking.

Random stuff like that. Then when the spring arrives, fixing the rivnuts in the roof channel and mounting the GOBI.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jeepwalker

Straight Axle project sounds fun. Is it 100% fab up, or are you adapting another suspension?

Wish I could say I had something on the to-do list, but I don't (at least "planned"). I recently finished up on the last of the deferred-maintenance items from when I bought it (was a looong list) so take a breather for a while. Planning to build a new work area ...maybe pick at a couple stalled restorations. Kids stuff too.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Probably going to give it a wash soon. My H3 is finished from a build perspective; now it's just repair and maintenance.

humbleag

I recently finished up on the last of the deferred-maintenance items from when I bought it (was a looong list) so take a breather for a while.

Similar situation here on the deferred maintenance, finally did transmission, transfer case, and differentials last weekend. Might flush the brake fluid and power steering fluid but other than that done with necessities.

I do have a few parts to install (ebay purchases when I knew my wife wasn't watching the paypal account). Lower grill OEM light kit, OEM Chrome gas door, replacement dash AC outlet for broken one. And hopefully someone that got my Christmas list will provide me with a few other projects.

Alpha X

WINTER PROJECTS???-What the HELL is that?=I live in Florida...No Winters in Florida:cheers:

I'm envious of you guys in the warmer areas. I park everything but my daily driver for about 5 months in the winter.... H3T, Harley, dirt bike, mountainbike, roller skates, grass seed spreader ....

ski.dive

I'm envious of you guys in the warmer areas. I park everything but my daily driver for about 5 months in the winter.... H3T, Harley, dirt bike, mountainbike, roller skates, grass seed spreader ....

I love living in Florida- 82 degrees today:):):)No need to hibernate in Florida

Traxx

Just some small projects this winter, change the door speakers out for something that's not probably rotting apart after 14 years. Change the door panels to the updated style because I will never get used to the 06 panels it seems. Still up in the air about swapping out the oem chrome mirrors and handles for black. Probably some new 33's and wheels, these ones are showing their age. Idly debating about another SUT next summer.

Waiting on the tranny to let go but it will probably be one of those perverse ones that make you think they will die any second and is just going to be noisy and last 300k.

The mod funds are sparse until the remodel is over in the spring. Fortunately it's the last time I am ever gutting and remodeling a house. I've officially hit the age where I'd rather pay someone while I go fish.

650Hawk

I've done all my fluids except trans...that's next. Gonna get a small plastic kiddie pool to try to prevent making too much of a mess; I've heard that the general consensus is 70% in the drain pan, 15% on the driveway, and the final 15% down your arms! Gonna at least try to limit the driveway part with the kiddie pool!!!

Needs shocks badly; leaning towards Fox, and getting close to needing new shoes (tires) as well.

One thing that I really want to add is an overhead grab handle on the driver side; at 57, it's getting harder and harder to haul my ass into this thing! Stupid that every seat has an overhead grab bar EXCEPT the one that gets used EVERY time the truck moves! Anyone installed one for the driver? Tips? Ideas?

Last edited:

amrg

The SA (south african built) model H3 has an overhead handle on the driver side and passenger side (mine is an SA model). So if its anything GM makes I guess the holes should be there to simpoify production and future installation but for some reason they are not utilized state side. If someone has pics of the headliner down they may be able confirm.
I have to note that the headliner itself is molded in a way to allow the handle to sit properly (similar to the passenger side)

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I've done all my fluids except trans...that's next. Gonna get a small plastic kiddie pool to try to prevent making too much of a mess; I've heard that the general consensus is 70% in the drain pan, 15% on the driveway, and the final 15% down your arms! Gonna at least try to limit the driveway part with the kiddie pool!!!

Needs shocks badly; leaning towards Fox, and getting close to needing new shoes (tires) as well.

One thing that I really want to add is an overhead grab handle on the driver side; at 57, it's getting harder and harder to haul my ass into this thing! Stupid that every seat has an overhead grab bar EXCEPT the one that gets used EVERY time the truck moves! Anyone installed one for the driver? Tips? Ideas?
The SA (south african built) model H3 has an overhead handle on the driver side and passenger side (mine is an SA model). So if its anything GM makes I guess the holes should be there to simpoify production and future installation but for some reason they are not utilized state side. If someone has pics of the headliner down they may be able confirm.
I have to note that the headliner itself is molded in a way to allow the handle to sit properly (similar to the passenger side)
I'd love to have a drivers side one as well.

If the holes are there it would be pretty easy to bolt one up like the pass side, but getting the headliner to look right is the tricky part.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jakesz28

I keep tossing around a v8 swap and SAS. But I have spent a fair amount on our ZR2. Too many projects not enough time or money. LOL

Jeepwalker

The holes are there on the US-spec H3's for a handle ...as I recall, when I had the headliner out this past summer. I was thinking about the same mod.

Jeepwalker

The holes are there on the US-spec H3's for a handle ...as I recall, when I had the headliner out this past summer. I was thinking about the same mod. Ya might have to fab a heavy backing plate ..if I recall.

650Hawk

The holes are there on the US-spec H3's for a handle ...as I recall, when I had the headliner out this past summer. I was thinking about the same mod. Ya might have to fab a heavy backing plate ..if I recall.
Perhaps a spacer to deal with the "non-dimpled" headliner on the US driver side. I'm off-work next 2 weeks, maybe I'll pull the headliner down a tad and take a look if I get the chance..