• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Permanently turning off TPM indicator light

mikesbaron

I've searched but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for in this regard. I have a 2008 I just purchased, my first Hummer. It has aftermarket wheels and no TPM on them. How can I get the icon and reminder/warning message on my dash to turn off permanently? It's driving me nuts.

Traxx

Put in tpms sensors in the wheels. There is no other way to turn them off other than push the button every time you get the message.

mikesbaron

Stock wheels did not come with my purchase, so no TPS. Is there an aftermarket kit that can be installed and work with the Hummer's computer?

Jeepwalker

Do you 'air down' going off road?

If you can work out with a shop to just install the sensors w/o rebalancing the wheels, it might cost less to install.

Traxx

Stock wheels did not come with my purchase, so no TPS. Is there an aftermarket kit that can be installed and work with the Hummer's computer?

Stock sensors work fine in most aftermarket wheels they run around $160 for the set.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Even if you do a five tire rotation and have only four sensors, the light will not turn On; provided the pressures are ok. The system will see the spare tire with the sensor. However, if looking for actual TP at the four corner mounted tires, then yes, a fifth sensor will be required.

08H3

Even if you do a five tire rotation and have only four sensors, the light will not turn On; provided the pressures are ok. The system will see the spare tire with the sensor. However, if looking for actual TP at the four corner mounted tires, then yes, a fifth sensor will be required.

Are there any caveats to that? Adding the fifth sensor was the only way I could keep from triggering the TPMS.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
There are always caveats.:thumbs:

The BCM (Body control module) on the H3 is only capable of reading four TP sensors.

Now, from memory...

First year (2006) H3s were equipped from the factory with five sensors, one in each tire, a year or two later (can't remember exactly either 2007 or 2008) the H3 was to be only equipped with four sensors; installed in the tires at the four corners. It was a cost saving for GM (I won't say anymore on that subject), but also a fact that the spare tire, although considered totally safe for travel use was, what GM tire and wheel, considered a class B tire while the four on the ground were class A. And the recommendation to include the spare into the standard rotation was supposed to have been removed from the owners manual. (Not sure what the difference was between Class A and B; however, it was totally safe to drive on, as determined by GM's tire and wheel engineering department. I'll also add the close to 90 percent of Federal tire regulations can from GM's tire and wheel engineering group, so they did know their business.)

Done with history.

Now some facts from this old mind....
The BCM (on the H3) is capable of reading only four sensors and it does not read sensors as to location (like most newer vehicles or the more expensive vehicles back in those days). So if a tire in one corner goes low, it just says you have a low tire, it is up to you to determine the low tire.

Since the BCM only reads four sensors and does not show location, if you rotate the four tires on the ground you do not need to do a relearn of the sensors to the BCM. However, if you included the spare, a relearn was required cause the old spare, now on the ground would not be monitored, while the new spare (an old corner tire) will remain to be read by the BCM. A relearn will allow the BCM to learn all four tires on the ground including the new (old spare) and disregard the new spare. (At the time the relearn procedure is started, the computer deletes all four sensors from memory.)

Now, if you have a later model that had no sensor in the spare and it was used in rotation, if a person tried a relearn with the four tires at the corners, the computer could not complete the relearn cause it only sees three tires and is waiting for the fourth. (Remember the BCM resets the sensor IDs.) If you use the spare in rotation and DID NOT try a relearn the BCM would be happy cause it is still reading the four sensors (three on the ground/spare.)

On my 2006 H3, I rotated all five tires, and did the relearn. When I had my 2008, I only rotated the four on the ground, never did a relearn, and went from factory to Cooper STTs and then from Cooper STTs to Dunlop Fierce Attitude tires and never did a relearn. Just made sure the tire dealer marked the spare so it would always be a spare when I sent to the Cooper, and kept the Cooper spare when I went to the Dunlops.

I never

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Interesting. Do you know if the sensors denote tire rotation (movement)? It sounds like it just notes that they're THERE, not moving. I wonder if a guy took a section of 4" PVC with end-caps ...mounted the sensors in the PVC inflated to 35psi and threw it under the seat, would the TPM still be happy?

On our Grand Cherokee, the TPM notes location (and IDK ..wheel rotation?). It requires a re-learn to reprogram proper location after a rotation.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
TP sensors will go into sleep mode after a spec'ed time after tire rotation and only update the BCM about every minute or two (can't remember the exact spec). They will turn On in full power mode when the tires start rolling. That saves the battery.

As for a sensor in a pipe; I hear it works; however, I hear a lot of things. However, sitting here I would say it shouldn't work; but I have been wrong many times. Reason I don't think it would work is while the vehicle is sitting still, the BCM would see the sensor signal about ever minute or two; however, once the vehicle starts to move, the BCM would note vehicle movement and "might" turn on a TPM monitor message (not low air pressure warning, but a warning the system is not functioning correctly usually meaning a sensor is bad) the reason is it is looking for an update about every x-number of seconds and not receiving it cause the sensor is not moving. Whether it will or not since it is receiving a signal every minute or two; not sure.

As for TPM indicating location; I would guess most new vehicle have location info from each sensor, but don't know for sure. All my trucks from '13 On have denoted sensor corner location.

TP sensors were required by Federal law due to the TREAD act (TREAD has nothing to do with tire tread but an acronym for Transportation Recall Enhancement Accountability and Documentation). They had to be direct read vs. an average based on each ground tire complete rotation as the tires turn when vehicle driven. A phase in period was allowed with a certain percentage of vehicles (by manufacture) in 2005, a higher percentage for 2006 vehicles and I believe a 100 percent for 2007. A few other requirements were included such as a warning system light, bulb test, info in owner's manual, etc.

So when GM brought out a new vehicle in 2005, it was only natural to add the system to the H3.

There was (at that time) no requirement for location of the low tire, only that a tire was low. Not sure if that saved much costs since the location is really part of the programming of the BCM and not a total function of the sensor. All sensors send out an ESN so all the BCM has to know is during the program relearn where the sensor is when it is accepted by the BCM.

GM like many other manufacturers placed TP sensors in vehicles long before the federal mandate; for example, my 2003 Vette had sensors that donated the location. Those sensors were strapped to the rim; not part of the air valve. (Interesting note. original H3 sensors were metal stem with the stem used as an antenna. Later used rubber stems and worked just as good.

Jeepwalker

TP sensors were required by Federal law due to the TREAD act (TREAD has nothing to do with tire tread but an acronym for Transportation Recall Enhancement Accountability and Documentation). They had to be direct read vs. an average based on each ground tire complete rotation as the tires turn when vehicle driven. A phase in period was allowed with a certain percentage of vehicles (by manufacture) in 2005, a higher percentage for 2006 vehicles and I believe a 100 percent for 2007. A few other requirements were included such as a warning system light, bulb test, info in owner's manual, etc.

...as a result of the Ford Explorer / Firestone tire debacle. You want to read a really interesting book:

s-l400.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Tragic-Indif...ragic+indifference+book&qid=1574563411&sr=8-3

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Not going to read a book since I am very familiar with the Firestone/Ford Explore fiasco and the idiocy of Ford Motor. I was an occasional witness for some of the TREAD act meetings, and viewed a lot of the info from the investigation from NHTSA and other investigations performed by other parties.

It was a combination of a manufacture who wanted a soft ride for a SUV so recommended tire pressures were set at about five PSI below tire manufacture recommendations and especially with the US consumer that was a dangerous combination, and then you had a tire that was suspect place on this same vehicle.

Consumer surveys by NHTSA and other independent sources basically showed the the US consumer was comprised of idiots who did not know, or cared, of didn't know how to check tire pressures, and they never read an owners manual (most still don't). So start out with a tire five pounds under inflated, then add a consumer who never checked tire pressures, and add highway driving on a hot day to increase internal friction in the tire, then add a questionable tire, and then a bad suspension on a large vehicle, and you have a perfect change of a big problem going down the road. (More complicated than that, that is just a summary at 4:AM before heading out for a quiet walk in the country with the dogs.)

I remember that the NHTSA did comparative checks on large GM SUVs (and maybe Chrysler not sure) and could not get them to roll like the Ford.

So the idea of tire pressure sensors being added to ALL vehicles was researched and decided upon and then made a Federal requirement for all vehicles under a certain class to be on all sold vehicles in the USA. It was not new tech, it was just an added expense to the vehicles and most care manufactures would kill to save a Penney or gain a mile per gallon.:shame:

I have never had a problem with the system, but in the early years they needed to improve on the idea.

I always blasted GM legal to allow the Hummer to be programmed to cut off the damn system if it was placed in any other 4 wheel setting other than standard and was refused; even tried to say at least cut off the system if in 4 wheel low...NOPE. GM legal and most other manufacture legal groups were not going to mess with this new federal idea. (I believe now they do have systems that will cut off the monitors.)

Time to get......

bull5

H3 selled in Europe are not equipe with sensor. So for me is possibile to disabile from the ECU the tpms reading.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Yes. It's a United States Federal Law; I am not familiar with other countries and their laws. I believe all H3s sold in Europe came with amber rear turn signal lenses due to the laws in "some" countries. Whereas in the US, it can be red or amber.

Callaway

Probationary Member
reviving an old thread. I have a 2007 H3 with new tpm sensors in four wheels, not in the spare. 33lbs in every tire. No service TPMS message, but the small yellow light in the center of the gauge cluster stays on. The guys at the tire store went through the TPMS reset and so have I. That darn light is driving me nuts, can anyone help me reset it? Thanks in advance!

Doc Olds

Yes you did a Necro-Bump to this Old Tread when a new Thread with your question would have done just fine.

33#s is too light, set them all at 38 PSI cold. Go back to "The guys at the tire store" and have them get it right.... or, buy a bi-directional scanner that can reset TPMS and do it yourself. Good luck.