• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Rear view camera queation

loicnetter1

I received my rear view camera (kenwood cmos 230) and my head unit should come today. The positive wire for the camera goes all the way to the dash with the rca and ground. Where can i tap power from up front ? Is there power for reverse by the gear selector ?
On my tahoe and also my jeep i just tapped into the backup light directly.
Do i need to run a wire back to the backup light ?

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Underhood junction block is ok, at the rear, in the trailer wiring package (Light Green wire), at the trailer connector (Light green wire, center pin). There is also a backup lamp circuit running (brown wire) to the inside rearview mirror (dimming off feature) that should run up the left A-pillar (driver side).

EndeavoredH3

How bad (pain in rear end) was to take a wire from fuse box back to to the dash ?

There's a firewall grommet right next to the master cylinder that I feed my wires through. I have seen a post where someone drilled a hole where the clutch would sit if it were a manual, then would add their own firewall grommet.

loicnetter1

I just removed the OEM head unit and found this.. I guess the previous owner had an after market radio. Can i just cut (and insulate) the wire and remove it ?
2e095efe65b515a06e083b0c547cc465.jpg

loicnetter1

Not sure what you are asking and not sure what the picture is of; other than it is a JVC CD changer controller....(CD Changer?)
Yes, it was below the head unit inside the dash. I guess i can just remove it, but one thick wire is going somewhere i cant reach. Maybe ill just leave it there.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
I'll take a SWAG and say it is a ground wire. But there is an easy way to confirm. Use a voltmeter to test for power on the circuit, and if no voltage, then to confirm it is ground, use the Ohm setting and test for continuity between a good ground point and the wire. Or, like you said, wrap it in electrical wire, hang it by a tie strap and forget about it.

JPaul

If you need to redo the connector to the radio then just tie the positive for the camera into the power for the radio (switched of course, not the always on power). There is also a backup lamp signal wire you need to hook up for the head unit, that can power the camera as well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk