• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Post= The things you DON'T like about the H3

Jeepwalker

Agreed 100%!

There aren't many things I don't like (besides the blind spots), but here are some peeves and things I wish they offered:
- I think GM could have extended the side/rear glass 1.5" lower, all around which would aid visibility w/o much take-away
- Make a back-up cam a low-cost option from day one
- A working key lock on the rear door
- The option of a more aggressive (lifted) pick-up truck with solid axle from day one, like the H3T Concept (non extended cab version)
- Compartment floor that lays flat when the seats are folded down
- A basic tool kit in the rear door like Montero's had (it's just kind of 'neat')
- An option to purchase a 4x4 system with variable locking diffs (rear/center/front) like Jeep GC's had, and choose (mud/snow/off-road)
- For a 'premium' vehicle, they didn't offer many options that were available on even older SUV's.
- Increase the center armrest height about 2" taller (ha ha), and make it real leather to match the seats.
- Greaseable ball joints

Overall, I think GM got so many things 'right'!

Last edited:

JPaul

Anymore BITCHING you want to do today????

Seriously, what's the point of griping about things we don't like about our rigs?

For the blind spots, get blind spot mirrors. Problem solved. Any large vehicle is going to have bad blind spots, that's why they make blind spot mirrors that you can buy for a few bucks at Walmart. Heck, I put blind spot mirrors on my Dodge Neon. Bonus is now you can see your rear tires when offroading. Then you just have to install side cameras for the front tires and the nose of the car and you're all set.

Most of the responses to this thread are just going to be personal opinion anyway. Unless you want the thread to be more about "how I fixed or am going to fix something I didn't like" then this is just useless complaining.

Jeepwalker

It's 'conversation'. What's wrong with that?

Perhaps some owners have resolved certain 'weak issues' and can share their solutions. So I think it can have value.

Last edited:

Traxx

The thing I hate about H3's is that sometimes a troll buys one and then finds the forums and asks a never ending slew of inane questions.

GM really needs to find a way to fix this.

650Hawk

I gotta agree with the "key lock" for the rear door; as well as a flat floor with the seats down. Other than that, though...Nah, I'm good.

Wait, I do wish they had made the bezel around the center A/C vents silver, to match the rest of that center panel; that just seems like it should have been a given, and looks "off" to me.

ski.dive

[B said:
traxx[/B];234153]the thing i hate about h3's is that sometimes a troll buys one and then finds the forums and asks a never ending slew of inane questions.
GM really needs to find a way to fix this.
.[/quote

Bitching & Complaining to the GM...WOW!!!:shame:

Last edited:

lowtrac

When the lock/unlock shift fork breaks and it busts a CV axle in the Krystal drive through and you get towed home by an F150.

When it busts another CV axle in the Academy Sports parking lot because you still didn’t know the lock/unlock shift fork was broken and you get towed home by a Jeep.

When the sunroof drains clog and a stream of water pours out of the sunroof directly on your crotch so it looks like you pissed your pants on the way to work while simultaneously dumping water into the BCM and frying the keyless entry.

When the cat clogs and it takes an extra 30 minutes to get home because it feels like you’re towing a trailer uphill the whole way.

When the wires to the oil level sender wear through the insulation and short against the exhaust heat shield freaking you out because you think you have random oil pressure drops for a few days.

When there’s so much gunk built up on the transmission filter that it quits pulling while blowing trans fluid out of the hole in the dipstick tube (where the bracket broke off) and all over the exhaust heat shield making you wonder how a dead transmission and a top-end engine oil leak are related. They’re not.

When the front differential crossmember bushing fails and there’s enough movement in the diff that the front prop shaft starts to cut into the transmission cooling lines.

When sometimes the shifter button won’t depress so you stab a hole in the side of the boot to put your finger in and push the manual release without having to pull the top of the console off.

When you sometimes have to smack the back of the shifter while it’s in park because you can’t get the key out of the ignition.

When you try to start it and it doesn’t start immediately so you have to wait 10 minutes for the security system to reset while you have a line of cars behind you at the gas station.

When the fake hood louvre stands up at a 90-degree angle when you’re going 80 on the interstate.

When GM won’t leave you alone about that HVAC wire recall.

Other than that, it’s been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alpha X

*** I would love to have seen the 'evolution' of the H3= if it was still in produced.

I would have loved to have seen the H4 actually make it to production. The 2008 HX concept was a bad ass Wrangler competitor and would have been produced had Hummer not been shut down. I believe the H3 would have moved on to drop the I-5 and get a V6.

lowtrac

Ha ha!! ...that's my favorite one of the list!! :thumbs:

Of course I know my experience isn't typical. This H3 wasn't taken care of at all by the previous owner it seems. I didn't know how much of a basket case it was until after I bought it, so I've been trying to get it back to "normal." My wife only recently started complaining about it after 3+ years so it's been a good run so far.

Lauren

I've been sitting here for like an hour trying to think of something that I don't like about my H3... and being completely honest, I can't think of 1 thing that has bothered me enough for me to say that it's a negative..

Don't get me wrong I've had issues with her.. for starters I only had her for like 3 months then I had to rebuild like half the engine. But then that's my fault because I was playing on the road, smashing my foot down on the accelerator from 0mph etc (I just loved her music haha) .. so you know, broken cam shaft, lifters, oil pump, gasket etc etc etc .. my mechanic said that the oil pump was knocking on death's door anyway so I just sped up the process and destroyed the engines with it haha! :giggle:

Issues I've had that were not my fault were broken control arms and the lowers ones, all 4 cats clogged, both manifold sensors dying, shocks dying, starter motor died etc etc.. but I don't mind, they've been renewed, emptied/removed or upgraded and at least now I know exactly what has happened to my car if that makes sense..

Uhmm.. the whole "blind spot" thing.. I've just moved my side mirrors to a position where I can fully see the lane next to me so that to me that's a "moo point".
A slight blind spot I will agree with though is when you're coming to a roundabout and you have to lean to see around the windscreen pillar.. but again if you're watching the roundabout well enough as you approach then it's not an issue.

I love my H3.. totally. Maybe I'm biased because I have always loved Hummers.. all of them.. but living in England, you have to be a billionaire to own one.
So when I moved to Dubai 5 years ago and realised they are so much cheaper here, I was on a mission to have one. And it took me even longer to find her because I was determined to get the V8 and there's like very very few here. So yeah.. she's my dream car essentially..
I've taken her into the desert a lot, and I have never had an issue making it up a dune, even with full air in my tyres on the lighter sand (not the orange sand).. I've pulled all different types of vehicles out.. Jeep, Nissan, Toyota, Lexus, Ford, Chevy, GMC.. even a VW Beetle haha! .. I've only ever been stuck once but that was totally my fault because I accidentally drove into a "cup" and didn't hit the gas quick enough and I had full air in tyres haha! But I got myself out. Took a load of air out, wiggled the steering back and forth a bit, stuck her in 4Lo and job done.
Now that I've tuned her, I have no problem with the amount of gas that she drinks.. so I can't complain about that..

Oh!! I guess one thing I do hate is trying to get parts for her is a f#cking nightmare.. but I guess that's because I live in the UAE so.. again not really a H3 problem !!

:huh: ... I'll keep thinking I guess..

Jeepwalker

Sounds like some fun ...playing in the sand. Can you go to a GM dealership to get parts (or have to order online)?

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only design issue I had with the H3 was that when I got in the driver seat I seemed to turn the seat heater on about 25% of the time. Wish they could have located the switch somewhere else. If they had not quit making them my wife would be driving a new one now. She loved her H3 and I really liked it. We took it on some pretty awesome trails in the Cali mountains and it tackled some obstacles that really surprised me. GM F%&ked up when they killed the Hummer line. If they had had put a diesel in the H3 and brought the H4 to market they would have hit home runs. GM didn't seem to understand that you have to play all 9 innings to win the baseball game.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
*** I would love to have seen the 'evolution' of the H3= if it was still produced.

So would the rest of us. Look how awful the Gladiator looks. Jeep tried to knock of the H3T and created an abortion of a vehicle. It may be really well made and capable, I don't know, but it could win an ugly dog contest. I like Jeeps. My 2004 lifted LJ is a blast to drive but the Gladiator is a visual abomination.

fanugy

My neighbor bought a gladiator rubicon. Really smooth ride, amazing electronics, really cool.

Last few days has been an Avalon in the driveway. I pulled over and asked where the Jeep was- Lemon law. Replaced the engine at 2800 miles. Timing issues, ECM x 2,

Really too bad. Kind of a horror story of the first model year production vehicle...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlcHummer

How sensitive the truck is about its battery charge. Installed an ARB bumper and winch this evening and after the truck sitting for the past week and testing the winch for 2 seconds it wouldn't start. Tried to jump start the battery with the truck still connected but no success, enough for accessories and lights but no crank and wouldn't release the key. Multi-meter showed around 12.4v on the battery when it wouldn't crank, so I ended up disconnecting the truck from the battery to get a full charge of around 12.8v and all was well.