• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 I got some codes today...

H3BigBoy

As my wife was driving to work today in my truck she got a message that said “reduced power” she also said the truck cut off and she started it back up. I had her drive the feeder roads back home so I could take it to get the codes read. Everything I’ve researched has said it’s a TPS issue and I need to replace that. autozone says I need to replace ignition coil in 1st cylinder and that the ignition coil needing to be replaced would give that same message about reduced power. Please let me know what is the best thing to do. I am going on a road trip in two weeks and need to get this fixed ASAP. Thanks!

Error Codes:
P0301
P0014
P0171
P0411
P0068

eee2c03e6d4e99a56aa571b027bfb3e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spike10940

You can test the coil to see if it is actually the coil. On my H3T it happened to me and it was the tps. 6-9 months later I had to replace the coils...3, 5, 7 was the order they died in lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

H3BigBoy

Where did u get your TPS from? Was it hard to replace?

I’ve been considering buying off Amazon because they have better prices that Autozone and OReilys.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
It can help to know the engine since H3's had two gasoline engines. Reading the VIN it appears to be the 3.7L (Suggestion it to put your vehicle info in your signature for future reference for any future problems.)

How did it run after she restarted the engine? If it was running ok, clear all codes drive it around and see if the problem comes back. And if codes come back troubleshoot from first code on to last. Resetting after each code problem is fixed.
If a 301 comes back, switch coils (put 1 on 2 and 2 on 1) and see if the new code goes with the coil or remains with the cylinder. If it goes with the coil, replace it, if not and remains as 301 it is not the coil. And then troubleshoot from there.
Also, check to see if there is any corrosion on the number one plug. There was a problem in early H3s with water standing in the first cylinder spark plug hole causing corrosion (going back in time in my memory).

spike10940

It was either am auto parts or rock auto, it was cheaper online than any auto parts store around.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mr_Rich

Where did u get your TPS from? Was it hard to replace?

I’ve been considering buying off Amazon because they have better prices that Autozone and OReilys.

The TPS is integral to the throttle body. If you want to replace the TPS replace the throttle body. There's no trick to it; I replaced mine a couple of years ago after my truck neared 100K miles. I didn't have any other codes or failures that went with the TPS problem though, and replacement took care of the problem I had. Do a search on throttle body and you will see the discussions.