• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.
  • The Swap Meet is not a regulated market, and buyers/sellers are not screened. Please do your homework before agreeing to anyone for any purchases or sales. If you have any questions about the user, please contact @Alrock via private message and I will attempt to provide any relevant information about the person, including location based on IP address. This is not a guarantee or promise of delivery but the addtional information may be helpful to you in your transaction. There are no guarantees here so use your judgement. Consider payment options like PayPal that have recourse (only when treated as a sale, and not as % between friends). Scammers will often use Zelle or ask for PayPal between friends because you cannot reclaim the money in the event of fraud or non-delivery. If a user has just joined and/or has few posts they should be viewed very cautiously.

WTB Starr HID kit ballast

svxr8dr

Does anyone have a ballast laying around they be willing to part with? One of mine has failed and though its under warranty the backorder date currently sits at 6 months. If anyone ever upgraded their ballast Id' be interested to know with what.

MixManSC

Need to know what type of bulb connector the ones in that kit use. AMP or D2S? Probably AMP. I'd also suggest replacing HID ballasts in pairs. Lightwerks and Theretrofitsource are both excellent sources.

#https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/components/hid-ballasts.html

If I remember right the last time I saw something about the Starr kits was they used a 55w ballast with AMP connectors.

To be sure I'd suggest take a photo of a ballast (label, and connectors) you have and get in touch with Cesar at Lightwerks and he will take good care of you.

The OEM ballasts (Denso, Osram, etc are top notch but complicated and expensive). For aftermarket ones the Hylux are top notch - the newer Morimoto 2.0 ones are now also based on Hylux as well. Top notch ballasts make a huge difference in the light output on HID lights. Generic Chinese stuff (including fake Hylux often found on eBay) are garbage. Lightwerks and TheRetrofitSource are both excellent companies to deal with.

Traxx

I remember seeing HR had the Starr upgraded 55w ballast kit on clearance a short while ago.

svxr8dr

HR told me it shold only be two weeks out now. Lesson learned that I should have spares on hand. These are the 55w D1 oem style kits.
IMG_1151.jpgIMG_1152.jpg

CARdiac

I have two used ones laying around int he garage, still work. I went to Retorfitsource.com and upgraded to 55 Watt ballasts and different bulbs. Sorry, Mine are 35 Watt. I replaced with 55 hen my mechanic ruined the cable from the ballast to the bulb...can't find them anywhere.

Last edited:

svxr8dr

Thanks for looking! Even if it didnt work out I appreciate it!

I have two used ones laying around int he garage, still work. I went to Retorfitsource.com and upgraded to 55 Watt ballasts and different bulbs. Sorry, Mine are 35 Watt. I replaced with 55 hen my mechanic ruined the cable from the ballast to the bulb...can't find them anywhere.

svxr8dr

Need to know what type of bulb connector the ones in that kit use. AMP or D2S? Probably AMP. I'd also suggest replacing HID ballasts in pairs. Lightwerks and Theretrofitsource are both excellent sources.

#https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/components/hid-ballasts.html

If I remember right the last time I saw something about the Starr kits was they used a 55w ballast with AMP connectors.

To be sure I'd suggest take a photo of a ballast (label, and connectors) you have and get in touch with Cesar at Lightwerks and he will take good care of you.

The OEM ballasts (Denso, Osram, etc are top notch but complicated and expensive). For aftermarket ones the Hylux are top notch - the newer Morimoto 2.0 ones are now also based on Hylux as well. Top notch ballasts make a huge difference in the light output on HID lights. Generic Chinese stuff (including fake Hylux often found on eBay) are garbage. Lightwerks and TheRetrofitSource are both excellent companies to deal with.

No luck with Lightwerkz either :(

svxr8dr

Here is my Day 34 update. Headlight Revolution told me they received the backordered 55W ballasts on Monday. However nothing as of yet has shipped out. so I'm still currently waiting on 1 ballast under warranty from them and 2 others I ordered to make sure this never happens again. On the positive Diode Dynamics has 35W ballasts in stock that will work with the Starr headlights, so I ordered them. The bad news here is that I will need 35W DS1 bulbs as well. I ordered 2 ballasts and 2 bulbs from them however it appears these bulbs have a production lead time of 2 to 4 weeks before delivery.