• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Preparing for the dreaded shift fork replacement

adventuredad

Hello all, my '06 H3 apparently has the dreaded plastic shift fork. I'm planning to replace it soon and seems like a fairly straight forward job but wanted to get some deeper insight as to what I might find or deal with during the process. I have already purchased the new shift fork and will be getting the transmission output gasket soon. I see Rock Auto has a TC rebuild kit with the gasket as well as springs, bearings, and additional pieces that may need replaced. Are these kits worth it? Other than not locking the front output shaft all seems well. Is it really as simple as crack it open, replace shift fork, close it back up?
Really hoping to get time to replace it before the snow flies and we go get buried.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Maybe PM Reloader as he did one just a week ago. He didn't go with the rebuild kit but I believe he did replace output bushings and seals.

Reloader

Oh, fellow H3 ers, its lots easier to R/R these transfer cases if you remove the crossmember under the rear mount. Take out trans mount too. Its a 5-10 job to remove it. I’ve replaced a few cross members due to getting bent up from pounding rocks into gravel.
just support transmission with jack stand and a short 4x4 at rear of trans pan. Also gives you better access to the 5 nuts that couple transfer case to transmission adapter.

Jeepwalker

Take it slow and one step at a time. The pieces fit one way. If you have ok mechanical skills you'll be fine.

adventuredad

I've seen it mentioned about the pin in the end of the shift shaft and to be careful with it. Would you recommend having a spare on hand in case or not a problem if you're careful? Is this a standard part available from dealer?

lowtrac

I've seen it mentioned about the pin in the end of the shift shaft and to be careful with it. Would you recommend having a spare on hand in case or not a problem if you're careful? Is this a standard part available from dealer?

It’s not a problem if you’re careful. I can see where it would be a problem if you try to force the case halves back together, but if you make sure the shaft gets in the hole in the case straight it’ll be fine.

I made a post about mine with some pictures. I’ll see if I can find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk