• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Need mechanic in Phoenix

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Well, I can't advise you to go afoul of emissions laws . . .

How some people modify their H3s depends on the year of the H3. In 2006, both cats were monitored by O2 sensors. One before the first cat, the second sensor behind the 2nd cat. In 2007 and newer, only the first cat is monitored and some people have been known to delete the 2nd cat. You do need to have the monitored cat(s) in place or your H3 will not run properly as the sensors need to see a difference in readings between the two cats. Maybe it's possible to delete the 2nd cat in a 2006 and still have the H3 run properly, but I have not seen that tested.

If it's the first one, that typically requires a new exhaust manifold as you would not be able to replace that cat independently of the manifold.

Backporch73

Well, I can't advise you to go afoul of emissions laws . . .

How some people modify their H3s depends on the year of the H3. In 2006, both cats were monitored by O2 sensors. One before the first cat, the second sensor behind the 2nd cat. In 2007 and newer, only the first cat is monitored and some people have been known to delete the 2nd cat. You do need to have the monitored cat(s) in place or your H3 will not run properly as the sensors need to see a difference in readings between the two cats. Maybe it's possible to delete the 2nd cat in a 2006 and still have the H3 run properly, but I have not seen that tested.

If it's the first one, that typically requires a new exhaust manifold as you would not be able to replace that cat independently of the manifold.

Understood, thanks for that info :) I just wanted to make sure after I replace the manifold with cat included, I didn't have to needlessly worry about the cost of possibly replacing the second cat as well. I'll deal with it and when and if the time comes. So you said you knew somewhere I can get the manifold/cat really cheap? The best I found online is a place called Muffler Express that claims they're American made and has a few good reviews. $200 bucks with a 90 day warranty, $250 one year warranty 300 with a 2 year warranty.

Last edited:

Lauren

Uhmm.. I don't think this will help at all.. but just in case..!!

All 4 of my cats died in my H3.. but over here they are just so ridiculously expensive and I just couldn't afford to replace them.. so I had them emptied and sensors disconnected.
Been driving her like that for almost a year now and she's fine. Had it tuned as well, firstly for the performance side but I was also worried about the emissions.

When I re-registered it, I was still good with my emissions test, however I understand it's more strict over is the US as my boss tells me.. (he was completely shocked that I passed :) )
I know you obviously know that.. but I will try and find the paper with my emissions rating on it after I finish work and let you know what it said.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Understood, thanks for that info :) I just wanted to make sure after I replace the manifold with cat included, I didn't have to needlessly worry about the cost of possibly replacing the second cat as well. I'll deal with it and when and if the time comes. So you said you knew somewhere I can get the manifold/cat really cheap? The best I found online is a place called Muffler Express that claims they're American made and has a few good reviews. $200 bucks with a 90 day warranty, $250 one year warranty 300 with a 2 year warranty.
You found an exhaust manifold for $250??? The affordable cat I was thinking about was the 2nd cat; I wasn't thinking it through earlier and realizing it was likely the primary cat as you suggested. There have been mixed reviews for aftermarket exhaust manifolds and proper fitment, from the holes lining up to a smooth mating surface. Some have had good luck while others haven't.

Uhmm.. I don't think this will help at all.. but just in case..!!

All 4 of my cats died in my H3.. but over here they are just so ridiculously expensive and I just couldn't afford to replace them.. so I had them emptied and sensors disconnected.
Been driving her like that for almost a year now and she's fine. Had it tuned as well, firstly for the performance side but I was also worried about the emissions.
Different states, and even different local jurisdictions, have different emissions requirements in the US. Some are very strict while others are not.

Lauren

This is my emission results any way just in case it helps anyone..

emissions.jpg

Jeepwalker

...So, in a way, it's sort of like each state is its own little country?

That's a good way to put it. I've met people from other countries who have traveled around the USA extensively, or lived in different states for many yrs and have said the same thing. Foreign visitors traveling for the usual three weeks at tourist sites in NY, FL and CA may not notice the differences very much. Each state really IS somewhat different, subtle cultural differences, some laws are different or vary in levels. As for vehicles, you may notice each state has different license plates, different registration processes and costs, different ways of collecting taxes. On emission testing, it's not required it where I live, but one large city in my state does require testing, I believe.

Last edited:

Lauren

That's a good way to put it. I've met people from other countries who have traveled around the USA extensively, or lived in different states for many yrs and have said the same thing. Foreign visitors traveling for the usual three weeks at tourist sites in NY, FL and CA may not notice the differences very much. Each state really IS somewhat different, subtle cultural differences, some laws are different or vary in levels. As for vehicles, you may notice each state has different license plates, different registration processes and costs, different ways of collecting taxes. On emission testing, it's not required it where I live, but one large city in my state does require testing, I believe.

Thank you haha!

Yeah.. that's the thought I've tried to keep in my head any way..
I've only been to the US twice, one was a school trip and the second time my family went to Florida Disney Land.. total tourist places! :giggle:
( But I do plan to hopefully one day spend a couple months in the US, I want to do a huge roadtrip and visit every state!)

But, yeah I've only started learning the difference since I joined my company 2 years ago, it's an American company and we have head offices in Fort Worth, Texas and Virginia. My boss and 4 others in the office here are American, but all from different states.. at first I obviously noticed the difference in accent, but we have that in England so I wasn't surprised.. then they taught me about the different licence plates which we don't have in England but do have here in UAE (the 7 Emirates have different style licence plates).. butttt then they started telling me how the taxes are different etc etc etc etc etc and the list is like never ending.. that's where my head explodes! :giggle:
It's all good fun though, we make fun out of each other's accents and how we pronounce things literally everyday! :)
Greatest thing though is they let me use the APO/FPO address to order parts for the H3! :cheers:

Somethingbigandorange

You are welcome to stop by my place if you are still having issues...I have a bi-directional scanner (Launch X431) and a smoker for tracking down leaks. If you want to go to a shop I recommend a family owned place I’ve gone to for decades: Pat’s Automotive off of 67th and Northern. Good people, trustworthy, fixes everything. Shoot me a message if I can help.

Backporch73

Thanks for all the help guys, It's done. Tools were dropped, knuckles were busted, tempers flared, but it's finished and I have noticed some improvement, and it is a step in the right direction. My secondary cat mysteriously disappeared right before this teardown/install so I am positive that I have no more clogged exhaust issues. View attachment 25402 View attachment 25394View attachment 25400View attachment 25401View attachment 25396View attachment 25397View attachment 25398View attachment 2539920191030_053537.jpg20191030_075423.jpg20191030_090545.jpg20191030_085243.jpg20191030_084533.jpg20191030_084527.jpg20191030_095458.jpg

Attachments

• 20191030_081631.jpg
    20191030_081631.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 222
Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Wonder why I can't open the atachments?

Glad you got it fixed. Are you saying there's NO stumble at idle or coastdown at stop signs anymore at all?

Would be nice to see a re-do of the pressure tests of the new manifold/cat, but I can't blame you if you don't want to screw with it.

What unit did you buy, can I ask? ..and how well did it fit?

Thanx!

Backporch73

Thanks for all the help guys! The unit is a Doorman and I got it from Parts Authority in Phoenix for $350, almost half of what the Big chains wanted (autozone, advance, NAPA, etc...) It fit perfectly and seemed to really help. I do however still get some of the stumble at braking for stop signs. If I may ask, what would the difference be in just coasting to a stop and the stumble not happen, or braking for a stop and the stumble happens?

I have not redone the back pressure test as of yet but I do plan to. Considering the exhaust manifold/primary cat is new and there is nothing else left to clog (secondary cat has disappeared) I better get some good results lol!

Jeepwalker, you can't see the pictures at all?

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

I see the pictures (wasn't sure if the Attachment "links" were additional images, guess not).

I wonder how much of this was a problem when the vehicles were new? Or not? Hopefully someone who bought one new will chime in.

As I analyze the condition in my vehicle as I come to a stop, I began wondering if the stumble could possibly be associated with the transmission hanging onto a higher gear a little too long, or, the stall not coinciding to the given speed (engineering). With mine it feels somewhat like the engine is still under a bit of load. Perhaps not. Just a thought.

Did you replace your brake switch? Did you cut your old catalytic convert off to have a look?

Backporch73

I did not replace the brake switch, I meant to cut the old cat open but have not done so yet, I will get to that this weekend though. I replaced my motor mounts about 6 months ago with OEM GM mounts, they were twice what the parts shop wanted but it certainly wasn't a job I wanted to do over. If there bad again already Ill scream lol. I did not replace the underside mount that is pressed into the bar. I am not sure what you mean about the differential mounts, this is new to me. Can you please elaborate sir?

One thing I can say is I've noticed my idle being too low at times, with my OBD attached with live data if it falls below 600 (which it has) its not good........

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I did not replace the underside mount that is pressed into the bar. I am not sure what you mean about the differential mounts, this is new to me. Can you please elaborate sir?
One thing I can say is I've noticed my idle being too low at times, with my OBD attached with live data if it falls below 600 (which it has) its not good........
The front diff has three mounts and the first one to check is the rear one where the propshaft meets the diff. That crossmember does have a rubber bushing pressed into the crossmember, but the bushing is known to tear and fail. You may be able to grab the propshaft or diff and move it up and down. There are replacement kits available in the Sponsor section.

This is what a new OEM crossmember looks like. On H3s with bad mounts the diff may be resting on the crossmember (vs. being 1/2"+ above it) and the rubber might be gone.

i-sZnzP7J-L.jpg

The two side mounts are at the inboard side of the CV axles on each side. They mount to the frame. Here's a bad one, you can see the rubber splitting in both directions. If failed, the diff might sit closer to the frame and/or, using a pry bar, you might be able to move the diff up and down without much resistance
i-K2p4dGZ-L.jpg

i-NMrHGt5-L.jpg

Last edited:

Backporch73

Looks like Ill be climbing back under the truck soon lol. Thanks for the information :) I know I priced that cross member with the bottom motor mount pushed into it and it wasnt the cheapest part. I don't know if its possible to simply find the rubber and push it into the old crossbar mount that way without having to buy the entire crossbar.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

I bought a cheapie OEM-style bushing off ebay for like 10-15 bucks. I may try the better one next time, I figured the old one lasted 100k or better. This rig's mostly a DD. Easy change with a press. I would imagine it would hammer out ok if you have a driver that fits the hole right but I have not tried it.

On your old exh manifold. If you have access to a borescope, maybe snake it down to get a look at the cat (easier than cutting).