• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Power Steering issues

H3BigBoy

Anyone know where I can get a new Power Steering system? Mine is about to go out. It makes all types of noise and leaks fluid like crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjferencak

I just bought my power steering pump off eBay for $60 but RockAuto is a great place to start. I would have went through them but they don’t ship to my zip anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJB

If you buy a pump without the attached reservoir, be sure to flush out the filter that's built into it before swapping it onto the new pump. I've seen that mistake made several times. Better yet, but one with the reservoir attached.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I'd recommend AC Delco/ OEM. I had an O'Reilly one and had to take advantage of their lifetime warranty seven days later. I got a refund, not a replacement. Rockauto is a great place to start and they appear to have them available.

Jeepwalker

Have you done any troubleshooting? It could just be a leaking hose that needs replacing? I suggest to degrease and wash the area, let dry, run the vehicle and see what's going on. Zero in on the problem before buying parts. You might not need a pump ..or you might need MORE than a pump.

Best of luck..

EndeavoredH3

Have you done any troubleshooting? It could just be a leaking hose that needs replacing? I suggest to degrease and wash the area, let dry, run the vehicle and see what's going on. Zero in on the problem before buying parts. You might not need a pump ..or you might need MORE than a pump.

Best of luck..

I don’t know if it’s just me, but if one part fails on a system that has significant mileage/age then I end up replacing everything. In this case more so for piece of mind I would (depending on what is the issue) replace the steering rack and pump along with any lines associated. Mainly due to adding new parts, the old parts can stress the new ones? Over the years I’ve heard this to be true.

I just replaced my entire cooling system due to a bad water pump. Left the radiator due to how recent I had replaced it. But I like having a system being 100%, just a tick I have.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I share that thought on some components but less so with the relationship between the rack and power steering pump. Usually the issue in a rack isn't a blockage or increase in pressure that might damage a pump, it's a leakage. Loss of fluid from the rack can ruin a pump but that should be pretty easy to diagnose. But a pump can fail without any relationship to the rack and a pump is an easy driveway fix; the rack's a lot more work.

Jeepwalker

I don’t know if it’s just me, but if one part fails on a system that has significant mileage/age then I end up replacing everything. In this case more so for piece of mind I would (depending on what is the issue) replace the steering rack and pump along with any lines associated. Mainly due to adding new parts, the old parts can stress the new ones? Over the years I’ve heard this to be true.

Sometimes it not a bad idea so ya don't have to go back in and replace other parts. But OTOH, some mass-produced aftermarket parts seem to be worse quality than a 100k mile OEM part sometimes. Ha ha!!
:no:

Last edited: