• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

New intermediate steering shaft - worthwhile improvement

Jeepwalker

Pretty much as the title suggests.

Always had a little free play at the steering wheel since I bought this H3 last spring. Nothing outrageous, about what you'd expect for the miles it has, but not as tight as I'd like it. I'm trying to wind the clock back on this 160k mile rig, tighten things up. I separated all the steering components and tested for wear (tested good), replaced upper balljoints (they WERE shot), rotated all the steering joints through their complete rotations to re-spread lubricant back into the joints. Replaced steering rack bushings. It appears the rack was replaced at some point but I have no idea when.

The intermediate steering shaft between the bottom of the steering column had most of the wear causing free play at the wheel. Replacing it tightened the steering right up! She drives like new now! No steering play whatsoever. Now we're talking! The wear from the shafts were divided up between the flexible coupler up top, and the sliding joint on the bottom shaft. The U-joints themselves seemed fine. I replaced both shafts with ones off ebay.

The quality was 'ok' but not perfect. Some niggling issues were: 1) It wasn't welded 'square' therefore I need to straighten out the wheels (to get the steering wheel straight), 2) The clamp that joins the two shafts wasn't exactly tight fitting, but it did snug the shaft enough to hold it secure. Other than that it was decent quality. Normally I buy Delco or GM parts, but there was enough price difference I thought I'd give this one a try. Price was $150 for both shafts (shipped). I hope it lasts ...otherwise I might be back to a Delco unit in the future. See how it goes.

Anyway, if you detect a minor amount of 'play' or looseness in your H3's steering wheel, put a vise grip around the steering rack shaft and rope it to the frame and if there's still some play, replacing the shafts might be a worthwhile move.

NEW-Intermediate-and-Lower-Steering-Column-Shaft-Set.jpg

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
There was a TSB on early H3s for this issue. Dealer replaced two under warranty a long time ago.

SlcHummer

I had similar play in the steering wheel as well as a "clunk" on right hand turns which was fixed after replacing the intermediate and lower shafts. Figured not a bad replacement on my 152k rig. Been going on 10k miles since replacing with GM parts which came to a total of $220.

IMG_2044.jpg

Last edited:

atvspeed4

We replaced the upper on one of our trucks and it was shot again after driving cross country and wheeling Moab for a week. Wish there was a better upgrade

Korby7

I had similar play in the steering wheel as well as a "clunk" on right hand turns which was fixed after replacing the intermediate and lower shafts. Figured not a bad replacement on my 152k rig. Been going on 10k miles since replacing with ACDelco parts which came to a total of $220.

View attachment 25307

Where’d you find those for that price? I’m looking to do mine soon.

SlcHummer

Where’d you find those for that price? I’m looking to do mine soon.

It was actually $240 with shipping but looks like prices went up slightly, would now be around $260 with shipping. The parts are actually GM brand not ACDelco as previously stated, here are links to the one I purchased. I've got a steering column anti-rotation pin you can borrow if needed.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-p...yJm89aDMmeT0yMDA2JnQ9YmFzZSZlPTMtNWwtbDUtZ2Fz
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-p...yJm89aDMmeT0yMDA2JnQ9YmFzZSZlPTMtNWwtbDUtZ2Fz

Jeepwalker

Pardon my ignorance, but, what's the **anti-rotation** pin do? I simply disconnected the column in place (leaving the wiring in tact).

The worst part of the job was doing all the work underneath.

amrg

If the steering wheel spins out, you may get the steering angle sensor out of alignment which will require careful realignment or a new sensor, or damage the clock spring at worst

Jeepwalker

Yep, I should have thought about that. Fortunately didn't move the steering wheel much, so no harm done in *this* case. Thanks for the FYI.

I should buy the FSM one of these days.