• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

I had to pinch myself.......

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
fMPetVo.jpg

bebe

Well, we took the Big Guy to the property this weekend :)

105 miles each way....we went from 4500 ft up to 7300 ft, down to 6300 ft up to 7300 ft down to 4000 ft up to 5600 ft. Truck seemed to have a miss once we crested the the 2nd 7300 ft pass. Rick pulled over, put it in neutral and revved the motor, and seemed fine. Had a little blowby come into the cab from the stereo hole in the doghouse, but it quit, so we continued on with no issues.

We took a different route home 5600 ft down to 4000, up to 7300 (long pull), down to 6200, up to 7700, then back to 4500. Had a little miss once we hit about 5000 ft, and then it cleared up.

Temps went from 140 to 195, never went much above.

If anyone has advice on driving in the mountains, I'd love to hear it. We both tried to stay out of it, but it seemed to be happier at a higher RPM.

Drive by temp gauge or drive by tach? How hard can you push it?

LagunaH1

I always drove my 97 on the temp gauge when driving to Moab. I don't recall ever feeling like I needed to rev it, but mine was a turbo.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always drive by the temp gauge. Going up the steep or long grades you will lose speed. Pressing harder on the gas pedal usually just means you are spewing more unburned fuel out of the exhaust.

bebe

So as far as shifting down goes, for uphill, what's the optimum RPM? 2000-2500?

Downhill shouldn't matter as long as I'm not overheating the brakes, but that's when the miss started, so I'm thinking it sounded like it was loading up. Do Diesels load up ? :)

bebe

Ok so it's sounds like shifting down and keeping the RPM's up when going down hill (not coasting) is the trick.

Pushing the gas pedal LOL

JPaul

Very nice!

Steve's trailer needs a nameplate attached to it designating it the official H4O Hummer Hauler. Same with Alex's truck! Maybe a full body wrap. :giggle:

bebe

I have learned so much since this post :)

She's running awesome now. Had the IP replaced at a diesel shop up in Reno/Sparks.

Ready to wheel!!!