• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Front differential bushing information needed

Stoneconel

Probationary Member
Replacing the front diff bushing and noticed that the ID of the bushing is considerably larger than the bolt. I didn't save the old bushing for reference and didn't really pay attention to the details when I took it apart. Is this normal?
c801ce165db948a6f3138bda89a22ff3.jpg
50a2207dbf7dd4648592ea69e4e9b04d.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Happy Hummer

I don't remember mine being funky like that. If I recall correctly the sleeve fit around my bolt reasonable.
But of course I used a standard style oem type bushing and that seems to be a urethane aftermarket style.

Jeepwalker

I changed mine not that long ago (OEM) and yeah, there is some free-area between the bolt and the bushing. The forces are up/down so it doesn't need to fight snug. That's how I perceive it to be.

Stoneconel

Probationary Member
It is a 12mm bolt. Just seems weird relying on the tightness of the bolt and the friction between the two surfaces to prevent the differential from moving around.

Jeepwalker

We gotta put our trust in the top engineers of The General! ha ha

Actually, there's something similar with a bushing on my VW too, so there's probably an engineering reason. There are other bushings which locate the diff ...this bushing just limits up/down movement caused by torque. Sure it wouldn't hurt to have another bushing or two to secure the diff ...but that would cost another 20 bucks maybe with mfgr costs. Can't make much money that way. :)

I wonder if GM ever broke even on the H3? I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. A couple hundred thousand units produced....?

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Sure it wouldn't hurt to have another bushing or two to secure the diff ...but that would cost another 20 bucks maybe with mfgr costs. Can't make much money that way. :)

You've got three bolts/bushings securing the front differential.

Considering that I have the first diff mount from Preferred Chassis Fab, and that's been in place since Nov 2011 with no replacements (but plenty of inspections), I'm pretty happy with the end result once the bushings were upgraded. Note that I didn't do the passenger side until about a year later, and didn't do the driver's side until about a year ago.

Stoneconel

Probationary Member
Thanks guys for the info. Guess I'll leave it be. Now to decide which differential covers to go with.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
New cover for the front? I'm not sure that there's a lot of room for anything different between the rack and the diff. For the back you there's more room for larger/beefier covers.

H3 Jimmie

Hey Stoneconel,
where did you buy that bushing from, and how much did it cost? I'm working through the same issue now, needing to replace the Diff bushing. the only ones i can find look like they have the same crapping OEM rubber on them. I'd like to find something with quality rubber, looks like you may have it?? thx for the help

Lauren

Hey Stoneconel,
where did you buy that bushing from, and how much did it cost? I'm working through the same issue now, needing to replace the Diff bushing. the only ones i can find look like they have the same crapping OEM rubber on them. I'd like to find something with quality rubber, looks like you may have it?? thx for the help

I've heard a ridiculous amount of good things about Outfitter Design's Front bushing kit, never been given a bad review.
I'm about to order them myself, just waiting on the 'go ahead' from the guy who sorting out the way to get them over here for me haha!

https://www.outfitterdesign.com/do-it-yourself-front-differential-bushing-kit.html